Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:08:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Martin Lewis: Cunt or Not-Cunt?

Started by H-O-W-L, January 15, 2020, 03:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

Another way to look at it:

Although of course people can move back home. (But relatively few >65 year olds in Sweden live with their children.)

Cloud

Quote from: H-O-W-L on January 17, 2020, 07:50:54 PM
Don't get why that's a stigma over here. I honestly believe it's entirely because of capitalist lobbying and I don't say that facetiously or snarkily, I truly mean it. Buelligan and other continental members probably have more insight but it's my understanding that in other parts of Europe (Italy and Sweden are two I've heard namedropped) it's very common to stay with your parents until their death, then inherit their house, or perhaps move afterward. A sort of reversal of care.

That's the way I see it. They're happy to have me here (MSE were trying to say they're just being polite/loving and I must stop being a burden... even though I have a job and pay board, a share of bills etc), I'm happy with them, no particular desire for the relationship/house/kids railroad etc. And I know that as they get old I'll be looking after them just as they did when I was young.  We're all happy and life is good, and I feel better hopefully never having to dump them into a home. 

There'll be no one to look after me but that's my problem. Hopefully we get some kind of better system or easy way out by then.

Just before Christmas there was this lass in the pub (because I was sat chilling with my dad, who I consider one of my best mates) getting this info out of me then telling me "that's really fucking sad", suggesting that he boots me out "for my own good", that I'll never get a girlfriend etc. It's not as much of a stigma as in the US, but it's definitely something that some sneer at.   It's that mentality of "I scrimped and scraped buttons together while living extremely frugal to move out and so should you, regardless of your motivations for staying at home"

thenoise

Would have thought that living at home for as long as possible was a pretty good money-saving tip. As is applying for the benefits you're entitled to, for that matter.

Cloud

Sure is!

I think people just get really pissed off when someone "has it easy" (particularly if let's say they have an Apple device out, seen by some as a symbol of wealth) when by comparison they were kicked out at 18 and suffered, saved every penny, pulled themselves up by their bootstraps etc.

It's a question of when your life is a misery, I suppose.  It can be early on when you're trying to rub pennies together to warm some 9p noodles in your flat and convincing yourself it's fun, or like me you could kick the can down the road til you're old and lonely and trying to look after your elderly parents.  Perhaps they're right, I dunno, but it's amazing how wound up and nasty a vocal minority of people can get about how other people live.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Cloud on January 17, 2020, 09:45:17 PM
it's amazing how wound up and nasty a vocal minority of people can get about how other people live.

One of the traits I most despise in others and one I sadly often encounter.

New folder

In Italy you have to stay at the casa di mama at least till you're 30 or you won't be considered a real il adulto and your coglionis will never drop

H-O-W-L

I think it really is a kind of bitter "fuck you, jack, got mine" shitter's street to just fuck off your parents as soon as you're an adult, leave home, and then let them slowly die alone or in a care home.

Alberon

Quote from: Paul Calf on January 17, 2020, 07:58:53 AM
Not quite such a sweet deal for the NHS/Police former/state education though eh readers?!?!

I'm having a bit of a lend of you obviously. I mean, I do similar things myself occasionally but I'm not under any impression that 'saving tax' is a valid way to frame it: tax returns are not a value proposition. If you 'save' tax, it just means that you don't pay it.

I know.

Though it's not a tax avoidance dodge, it's a specific deal that was put into place for couples, one of whom doesn't use their full tax allowance. Under that deal the unused tax allowance can be applied to the partner's allowance. It means we don't lose part of our joint tax allowance because Mrs Alberon doesn't earn enough to pay tax.

It makes a difference for us.

the midnight watch baboon

Quote from: Jockice on January 17, 2020, 08:23:22 AM
A couple of people were pretty helpful but the others were utter cunts. I told them they were pathetic and should fuck off and I haven't been back since.

Hey, this is about MSE not CaB!?! 1?2!!%

Dex Sawash