Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:46:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Kemps: All True (New Rhys Thomas Music Spoof)

Started by Malcy, January 15, 2020, 04:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

Sia was played by Lucy Montgomery as well, wasn't it?

I think my favourite moment was:

"Did you ever consider giving Gary one of your kidneys?"
"Na, fuck him"

The perfect setup with Martin smiling and laughing, then suddenly switching to that.

The Culture Bunker

In terms of top swearing laughs, I did enjoy Martin saying of his childhood Dr Who job "they treat you like cunts", then cutting to a dalek falling off a cliff.

Norton Canes

Quote from: alan nagsworth on July 06, 2020, 10:24:14 AM
I thought that was the worst scene of the whole thing

Yeah it was really just the singing that was great, it's exactly how pop singers mangle tunes these days. The note she held all the way through the Kemps speaking.

BTW, contrary to information in the documentary Gary has written an autobiography - it's called 'I Know This Much' and it's surprisingly readable (I got it for 99p from The Works a few years ago)

jobotic

I find things like "Who Do You Think That You Are?" stupidly funny for some reason.

The Roofdog

Quote from: derek stitt on July 05, 2020, 11:42:01 PM
What, all six of the cunts in one body?

"I don't know whether to drill the hole, drive the getaway car or make the fucking sandwiches" got one of the biggest laughs from me. Lovely stuff.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Birrova waste putting Anna Maxwell Martin in that role for Gary's wife I thought ( although it wouldn't have been too much trouble for her to learn her lines), but I don't suppose Lucy Montgomery could have been cast in a third part, would have been a bit much.
Also, why didn't they get Pepsi involved in that scene with Martin and his missus, given that yer man's supposed to be married to both of 'em ? Pepsie couldn't have been too busy to play the part, Pepsie Shirley?

sevendaughters

uneven but when it was good it really was, Beef In Gas joke was case in point, was hilarious as it was mentioned in passing and then they explained some of the humour out of it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on July 06, 2020, 10:42:08 AM
In terms of top swearing laughs, I did enjoy Martin saying of his childhood Dr Who job "they treat you like cunts", then cutting to a dalek falling off a cliff.

I really loved that bit, and Ken Russell's version of Hide And Seek was fantastic too, though in general I thought it was superb throughout and it was packed with huge laughs, I just wish it had been half an hour longer so it could have been given a cinema release.

jobotic

And the music carrying on into the Krays footage.

A typically brilliant review from the Guardian. Bloody hell.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/jul/05/the-kemps-all-true-review-a-gamely-spoof-for-this-droll-mockumentary?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2wsJHsODmWmSO28NdWP1yjViXwcC2YfMItBPTJQ8eS7aIHzB6bkHlg0iY#Echobox=1594022307

QuoteWhen the Kemps feuded, their rows were scripted by others and, doubtless, copy-approved by the brothers.

You reckon?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: jobotic on July 06, 2020, 03:54:59 PM
And the music carrying on into the Krays footage.

A typically brilliant review from the Guardian. Bloody hell.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/jul/05/the-kemps-all-true-review-a-gamely-spoof-for-this-droll-mockumentary?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2wsJHsODmWmSO28NdWP1yjViXwcC2YfMItBPTJQ8eS7aIHzB6bkHlg0iY#Echobox=1594022307

You reckon?

Fucking hell, that's just embarrassing, I don't tend to read The Guardian tv reviews any more but at least I know now that if I see the name Stuart Jeffries attached to anything elsewhere that it's not worth reading.

Utter Shit

Haha yeah read that earlier, how can it be your job to review and yet you're the only viewer that didn't understand the programme.

pigamus

The comments seem to agree though. I haven't seen it.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Jesus Christ. The point-missing idiocy of that review makes Wollaston look like Nancy Banks-Smith.

There's not a single mention of Rhys Thomas either, which suggests that Jeffries, a professional TV critic, doesn't know who he is and hasn't seen the many other programmes he's made in a similar vein.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with celebrities sending themselves up when the material is as good as this. All True wasn't a smug, backslapping love-in, it was an enjoyable bit of silliness in which two well-known people gamely threw themselves into the spirit of things.

I will now go back to ignoring Guardian TV reviews whenever I can, they're infuriating.

jobotic

You can't, I'm going to follow you round posting stupidly long links to them.

pigamus

Seems like linking this to the Bros thing was a bit of a mistake. But is that what got it commissioned in the first place? Telly executives really don't know anything, do they?

Quote from: jobotic on July 06, 2020, 05:10:57 PM
You can't, I'm going to follow you round posting stupidly long links to them.

Please do, I enjoy getting annoyed at things.

Quote from: pigamus on July 06, 2020, 05:13:00 PM
Seems like linking this to the Bros thing was a bit of a mistake. But is that what got it commissioned in the first place? Telly executives really don't know anything, do they?

It was definitely inspired by the Bros documentary, and Thomas presumably pitched it as a spoof of that. But Jeffries' argument - that the Bros documentary was better, because it wasn't all made up like this - is spurious. They're completely different things.

Utter Shit

Quote from: pigamus on July 06, 2020, 05:13:00 PM
I read a review earlier which said this was in production before the Bros thing.

Quote from: Utter Shit on July 06, 2020, 05:15:35 PM
I read a review earlier which said this was in production before the Bros thing.

Ah, right. I am worse than Wollaston. ;-)

Utter Shit

Well the review was Steve Bennett from Chortle so I wouldn't back down just yet.

steveh

Think on Twitter Rhys said that it was written before the Bros doc too.

Uncle TechTip

Loved the montage of violence from the Krays, then when they did it again with EastEnders, even better. It went on for about a minute and interpersed more Krays scenes.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: jobotic on July 06, 2020, 12:24:15 PM
I find things like "Who Do You Think That You Are?" stupidly funny for some reason.

Yeah, similarly when Rhys was talking about Martin Kemp's role in EastEnders, he wrongly announced that the character he played was Dirty Den. I mentioned in my previous post that he has such a brilliantly funny voice, a wonderful knack of saying something blatantly false or just stupid with such proud, chest-puffing ignorance. He really nailed this as Gary Bellamy and it's something I've always loved about his delivery. I'm still laughing as I type this thinking about how he said "Wonge".

Malcy

Tony Hadley's had a whinge.

QuoteThe 60-year-old singer, who quit the group back in 2017, said he'd rather watch Broadchurch than the spoof which saw the Kemps attempt to carve out solo careers in the wake of the band's 40th-anniversary celebrations.I

'I wasn't approached and would not have anything to do with it. I'm done,' he complained. 'They want me back for good but it ain't going to happen. I'd rather be happy on my own than be in that band again.'

The Culture Bunker

You sound a bit 'Highly Strung' there, Tone, ho ho ho. I suppose the wounds are still a bit 'Raw', eh?

Tony Hadley, and let's not beat around the bush here, is a total fucking bellend.

Gal and Mart are better off without him.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on July 06, 2020, 06:30:42 PM
You sound a bit 'Highly Strung' there, Tone, ho ho ho. I suppose the wounds are still a bit 'Raw', eh?

Well, it certainly looks like the Brothers Kemp won't be singing " Freeze"[nb] '( The) Freeze', Spandau Ballet's second single.[/nb]A Jolly Good Fellow about him!

pigamus

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 06, 2020, 06:33:28 PM
Tony Hadley, and let's not beat around the bush here, is a total fucking bellend.

That's my instinction as well.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

To Cut A Long Story Short, he sounds like a grumpy cunt.

The Culture Bunker

I feel I should come up with some more Spandau puns, but I don't need this pressure on.

Although I was reminded of reading Billy Bragg's biography, with the story of Gary Kemp appearing at a Red Wedge gig to do a solo acoustic version of 'Through the Barricades', with the other assorted leftie pop stars backstage trying to decide "is this brave, or just shit?"

An acoustic version of Through the Barricades performed by Gary Kemp would be a marginal improvement on a full band version bellowed by Tony Hadley, but it's still an absolutely dreadful song. Can't fault the lad's politics, though. Nice one Gaz.