Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:59:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Being poorer kills you quicker

Started by bgmnts, January 16, 2020, 03:12:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Pretty obvious but still nice to have the science back it up.

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/2020/jan/15/being-wealthy-adds-nine-years-to-life-expectancy-says-study

But there's no problem because poor people have cheap consumer electronics and stuff.

I have a middle-class friend who once said, 'Wealthy people are generally better looking.'

I've yet to see any evidence of this. In the words of Alan Partridge, 'I've seen the big-eared boys down at the farms.' Quite a sordid and incestuous little gene-pool they are stirring up together.

olliebean

Quote from: Default to the negative on January 16, 2020, 06:05:59 AM
I have a middle-class friend who once said, 'Wealthy people are generally better looking.'

I've yet to see any evidence of this. In the words of Alan Partridge, 'I've seen the big-eared boys down at the farms.' Quite a sordid and incestuous little gene-pool they are stirring up together.

Depends how you define "better looking." Wealthy people can afford to be better turned out, which some people might interpret as such.

MiddleRabbit

I've just moved from teaching in an inner city, poverty stricken school to the most middle class school in the county and the kids do look different.  Mainly, they look younger.  No, I've not moved to a primary school.  The kids from the inner city looked wrung out and shrivelled.  The kids here look fresh faced and naive, I suppose.

If you're into twelve year olds who resemble old man Steptoe, I suppose you might not agree with the above statement but I put it down to stress.  There's a lot of stress when there's no money and that ages people, including the young.  In my experience, anyway.

Sebastian Cobb

The Glasgow factor is still unexplained though innit?

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on January 16, 2020, 10:07:02 AM
The kids here look fresh faced and naive, I suppose.

So you haven't come across any horse-faced Jemimas or shovel-toothed Felixes?

Sebastian Cobb

I say unexplained, it only takes 8000 weegies to sustain an Greggs.

Buelligan

Well, wealthy people can, not only dress better but eat better, sleep longer, take more holidays, get extra help when they're unwell, get someone to do all the heavy lifting and housework.  Their beds are newer and of better quality.  Their teeth are groomed, their spas spun, their skin peeled, nails polished, baldity seeded and their plastic surgerised.

They can also impress and mate with attractive partners (by virtue of their sexy power and money) which means their wealthy children will stand a greater chance of beauty, not inner, of course nor wit. 

I didn't know that Patrick Bateman had joined the forum.

thenoise

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 16, 2020, 10:43:36 AM
The Glasgow factor is still unexplained though innit?

Heroin and deep fried food. The terrible weather doesn't help ether.

thenoise

If it wasn't for middle class people's trendy alcoholism and worksholism the gap would probably be wider. Having a bit more money enables you to make more choices about your life, lifestyle, career etc. It enables you to be healthy and live considerably longer, if you choose to.

New folder

As if capitalism isn't just another variation of ye olde eugenics.

Quote from: thenoise on January 16, 2020, 11:56:47 AM
If it wasn't for middle class people's trendy alcoholism and worksholism the gap would probably be wider. Having a bit more money enables you to make more choices about your life, lifestyle, career etc. It enables you to be healthy and live considerably longer, if you choose to.

The gloves are off, then.

This is how I see you and your kind.

olliebean

Quote from: Buelligan on January 16, 2020, 10:52:07 AM
Well, wealthy people can, not only dress better but eat better, sleep longer, take more holidays, get extra help when they're unwell, get someone to do all the heavy lifting and housework.  Their beds are newer and of better quality.  Their teeth are groomed, their spas spun, their skin peeled, nails polished, baldity seeded and their plastic surgerised.

They can also impress and mate with attractive partners (by virtue of their sexy power and money) which means their wealthy children will stand a greater chance of beauty, not inner, of course nor wit.

Parklife!

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: Default to the negative on January 16, 2020, 10:45:13 AM
So you haven't come across any horse-faced Jemimas or shovel-toothed Felixes?

Not so much, as you mention it. 

They do have different names though.  The last place, among the many Eastern European names, was a plethora of Tiegans, Coreys and, my favourite, Tewsdee (Hull phonetic spelling of Tuesday).  Here, it's all Hermiones, Edwards and Kittys.  I've never taught a Kitty in 25 years and now there's two in one class.

Oh, I've only taught one Felix and he was horse toothed, but also poor and a twat. 

By the by, I've never met a Corey who wasn't an arsehole.

thenoise

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on January 16, 2020, 05:04:44 PM
I've never met a Corey who wasn't an arsehole.

Whatever Happened to Corey shame?

Endicott

Stranglers Fan?

MiddleRabbit