Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:18:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fucking shitty game mechanics

Started by Barry Admin, January 16, 2020, 11:57:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Your character having their vision obscured in FPS games.

Fucking shitty game mechanic, unfair and almost never fun. Not as bad in third person when you're dealing with fog and stuff, but losing eg a Zombies game because you can't see to defend yourself is crap and unfair.

MojoJojo

See also: the fucking ink in mario kart.

bgmnts

Specific one is the rope swinging in Styx 2. Genuinely made me stop playing that game just past the tutorial, abysmal. Sometimes you wonder what goes through game developer's heads.

General one is any FPS that has platforming mechanics in it. It's so clunky and frustrating.

Oh and stamina meters. Oh and thirst and hunger meters you have to keep replenishing.

imitationleather

Quote from: MojoJojo on January 16, 2020, 12:47:04 PM

And that blue shell is only liked people who despise the successful so I guess it is probably loved on this forum amirite?!??!

Blinder Data

Blue shell is fine in multiplayer because it adds to the chaos and fun but it can do one in single player - it feels like the computer has simply decided to screw you over and there's nothing you can do about it. I got fucking done by one on the last race of a grand prix yesterday and I was fuming.

popcorn

I think Mario Kart suffers generally from the fact that being hit by someone else's power-up is basically not fun. The squid ink, the lightning bolt, being hit by a shell you couldn't avoid (basically all of them, red/green/blue - there's little evasive action you can take), getting hit by any of these is sort of a momentary drop in fun. Whereas I don't think this is true of, say, being fragged in Quake, because pretty much every death is the result of a skirmish you could have done better in.

Quote from: bgmnts on January 16, 2020, 12:57:45 PM
Oh and stamina meters. Oh and thirst and hunger meters you have to keep replenishing.

The most recent obviously shit game mechanic that comes to my mind is the eating/stamina system in Shenmue 3. It serves no purpose beyond making every minute of the game slightly more annoying.

Dewt

Quote from: MojoJojo on January 16, 2020, 12:47:04 PM
I seem to have some superpower that lets me just see beyond it just fine.

H-O-W-L

Animation/physics tied movement in a game that doesn't require it in any way, like Grand Theft Auto IV, V, and Max Payne 3. Getting my arsehole shot right out because my bumbling fuckpipe of a shootist decided to dodder lazily and trip over an inch of hedgerow has never felt good for anyone, ever.

I forgive it in Red Dead Redemption 2 because you're playing a cowboy who walks like he's shat himself, and the game as a whole is a lot more plodding and doddering and realistic, but a flighty floo woo wah game like Max Payne where a man who is more whiskey than organs can fling himself sideways through a plate glass window while rattling off two Mini-Uzis without even spraining a bollock really doesn't need you to clunker around like a fat sack of shit. It's already innately unrealistic, so let me move around like I did in Max Payne 1 and 2. Slick, quick, and flashy. Made even worse in Multiplayer, where you can be playing a waif-thin New Jerseyite mob woman who will still plod around like she's a 250lb alcoholic fifty-year-old.

The only other game I'll excuse it is LA Noire, because Cole Phelps is an emotionally stilted robot sent back in time to detect crimes, so it makes sense that gravity's different cos it's the fourties and that.

In Grand Theft Auto V's multiplayer I'm playing a twentysomething billionaire who owns a secret Bond villain bunker, several dozen flying cars, can summon a literal Hand of God style laser strike from orbit, and has a minigun in her back pocket, and yet if I stumble a bit when going down a hill I tumble bumble stumble rumble for sixty thousand years then bounce myself to death. Utter shit. Utter, utter shit. Rockstar need to get a fucking grip on themselves. The only game it's actually worked in has been RDR2.

bgmnts

What I don't forgive about Red Dedemption 2 is the stupid mechanic where it has the sensitive trigger thing. So most guns and items you cannot use unless your trigger on your controlleegoes all the way down.

Mental stuff.

tourism

Quote from: bgmnts on January 16, 2020, 03:39:11 PM
What I don't forgive about Red Dedemption 2 is the stupid mechanic where it has the sensitive trigger thing. So most guns and items you cannot use unless your trigger on your controlleegoes all the way down.

Mental stuff.

on red dedempt you can switch the shoulder buttons so that l1/r1 does aim/shoot which is nice. the always hammer sprint button thing is really unforgivable to me, however

Big Mclargehuge

Quote from: Blinder Data on January 16, 2020, 01:58:51 PM
Blue shell is fine in multiplayer because it adds to the chaos and fun but it can do one in single player - it feels like the computer has simply decided to screw you over and there's nothing you can do about it. I got fucking done by one on the last race of a grand prix yesterday and I was fuming.

One the subject; When you get given items in Mario Kart or Smash Bros. that are designed to obscure the vision or effect the controls of other players...but your in an all CPU match...nothing worse than getting a blooper in Mario kart to use on fucking CPU's who just keep driving as if nothings changes...I've never felt so impotent in all my life than in that moment.

kidney

When your controls ever get reversed. Just no need is there.

druss

Inventory space/weight. In the Witcher 3 for example I am able to sprint around with hundreds of bottles, herbs, bits of silver, metal, a couple dozen swords, 4 suits of armour, 6 pairs of boots, 20 goat hides, a skull, 4 mugs, a candlestick and a few monster heads without any difficulty. But at some point I lose the ability to sprint, despite it adding no realism or fun considering I can already carry a small army's worth of supplies without any difficulty.

Jim Bob

Rubber banding in racing games can get to fuck.

Phil_A

Specific one is the rope swinging in Styx 2. Genuinely made me stop playing that game just past the tutorial, abysmal. Sometimes you wonder what goes through game developer's heads.

I'd extend that to rope swinging in any 3D action game. Why do developers put these in, they are always shit. Shit in Wind Waker, shit in Skyward Sword, shit in Tomb Raider IV, Has anyone ever in the history of gaming said "Oh good! A rope swinging section!"?

The answer is clearly no.

Utter Shit

Quote from: H-O-W-L on January 16, 2020, 03:32:12 PM
Utter shit. Utter, utter shit.

What up playa.

I don't have many complaints about RDR2 but the mechanics when your horse is trying to navigate is stupid as fuck. Either give the horse autonomy or don't, I'd accept it if he saw me trying to drive him through a thicket and threw me off or just stopped dead. Equally I'd accept it if the horse was completely under my control and if I fucked him into a tree then that's my own stupid fault. But this weird half-way between the two, where you are partly guided through complicated bits without really having control...na mate. It's just a bit annoying.

Cuellar

Quote from: bgmnts on January 16, 2020, 03:39:11 PM

Mental stuff.

Pretty much hate every mechanic in RDR2. Honestly, can't think of one good one.

Bazooka

I just mentioned this in another thread, stamina is shit for cunts, now there are games that have it and it doesn't matter becsuse it works; Monster Hunter is a perfect example.But Zelda BoTW,Dragons Dogma, FF XV, run for 8 seconds then you have to go into your inventory and use an inhaler.

Unskippable cutscenes, not finished some jrpgs because I don't want brain damage, good job cretin game designer I never got to see another three hours of stick thin androgynous teenagers with spiky coloured hair talk shit.

Unclear map markers, many people argue against them entirely, but games are so big and detailed,and we live busy lived, we would never be able able to complete Skyrim in under 8 years and 5 months. But unclear map markers, in some busy town with tons of NPCs, map marker takes you to an area but there are three buildings with five floors,cant find the cunt who wanted me to collect 3 berries or kill 7 rats.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Dewt on January 16, 2020, 03:22:39 PM
I seem to have some superpower that lets me just see beyond it just fine.

In the DS version, it was totally neutralised because you could just play it using the map as if it were a 2D overhead racing game.

FredNurke

Quote from: Jim Bob on January 16, 2020, 05:01:04 PM
Rubber banding in racing games can get to fuck.

Egregious example from a non-racing game: CANARY ARSEBOLLOCKS MARY (Banjo-Tooie).

Dewt

For me this page has been a list of frustrations that occur in good games. The games with shitty gameplay overall are getting off lightly. First thing that comes to mind with "fucking shitty game mechanics" is any resource collecting in a AAA game hiding under a shiny story/interface.

popcorn

Quote from: Dewt on January 16, 2020, 08:46:39 PM
For me this page has been a list of frustrations that occur in good games. The games with shitty gameplay overall are getting off lightly.

Yeah but no one plays those.

Cerys

Quote from: druss on January 16, 2020, 04:52:14 PM
Inventory space/weight. In the Witcher 3 for example I am able to sprint around with hundreds of bottles, herbs, bits of silver, metal, a couple dozen swords, 4 suits of armour, 6 pairs of boots, 20 goat hides, a skull, 4 mugs, a candlestick and a few monster heads without any difficulty. But at some point I lose the ability to sprint, despite it adding no realism or fun considering I can already carry a small army's worth of supplies without any difficulty.

There needs to be a mechanic that slows the PC down incrementally, so rather than runrunrunrunSTOP or runrunrunrunCRAWL it works as sprint > run > jog > walk > stagger > crawl > stop.

Bazooka

Breakable weapons: Just a nuisance.  Either only apply it to the godlike endgame weapons and add a way to repair them at a cost or add the ability to maintain them easily or damage is reduced when worn, Monster Hunter does it perfectly.

Having to follow a character on rails,they walk at minus speed as they waffle on, I'm not invested in the dialogue I just hold down sprint and run into their backs until I'm free from 5 min of torture.

Flouncer

I was just this second playing some Blood, and I got instakilled by a fucking door. It doesn't even have to be a big door; I've been killed before by the door of a cupboard that had some flare gun ammo in it; it automatically closes itself after a few seconds, and if you don't move out of the way because you took a moment to scratch your balls or whatever, instant death. This happens in a few FPS games - I don't complain if it's a big hydraulic sliding door or whatever but a fucking cupboard or a normal door that closes itself for no apparent reason? Fuck off.

madhair60

Most of the (Lara) cruft in Rise/Shadow of the Tomb Raider did my nut in. Digging out resources taking three taps of the square button. One to get the pick in, one to get purchase, one to get the resource. It's literally three taps. No challenge, and the resource isn't particularly valuable. Why three taps instead of just one? One tap, cod animation, get thing.

Also when games have about sixty commands on the same button. Shout-out in particular to the Uncharted series and Witcher 3, where I died yesterday because the "roll away from enemies" button is also the "get on a fucking horse and sit there like a lemon because you have to hold Square to dismount and every time you get hit the dismount gets cancelled"

madhair60

Because if there's one thing that retains your balance, it's getting hacked at with swords.

Jerzy Bondov

I know a lot of people inexplicably love it but fucking crafting. Going around collecting little flowers and bits of wood and pebbles and then you can craft some fucking useless shit that sits there in your inventory forever. I liked it when you'd just break open an urn and it'd be full of miracle medicine rather than having to make it yourself from scratch.

druss

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 17, 2020, 09:15:04 AM
I know a lot of people inexplicably love it but fucking crafting. Going around collecting little flowers and bits of wood and pebbles and then you can craft some fucking useless shit that sits there in your inventory forever. I liked it when you'd just break open an urn and it'd be full of miracle medicine rather than having to make it yourself from scratch.
Think it depends on the game rather than being an inherently shit mechanic.