Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:23:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Synecdoche, New York

Started by SteK, January 17, 2020, 12:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteK

Watched this ages, thought it was a pile of pretentious crap, but I'm being strangely drawn into watching it again.

What's the hive-minds opinion on this film?

dr beat

A mixed bag. First 30 minutes were so dreary I almost walked out, but then developed into something pretty good, but then it overstayed its welcome and went on and on.

phantom_power

I remember finding it very depressing so don't really want to watch it again

hedgehog90

I saw heaps of praise for it on CaB which is what prompted me to watch it about a year ago.
I thought it was great. It's quite relentless, I can't think of another film with a similar kind of non-stop time progression.
Made me feel very anxious. It's kind of a relief when it's over.

Can't really hack this shite anymore, even though I liked it when I first saw it a few years ago. There's a certain brand of neurotic American stuff that just feels very alien to me personally, and I'm not particularly interested in people vastly more successful than me making art about how awful everything is, and that we're all failures, anymore. And yes I know, it's really really funny and everything. All the more power to anyone who does like it, I just don't need it in my life.

Anyways, going to rewatch Possession again now.

Deyv

I like how bleak it is, and the last scene is fantastic, but I'll probably never watch it again. Maybe I just don't want to be reminded of how bleak the end of everyone's life is. I have to be in a very specific mood to see Synecdoche. I can't be happy because it'll kill any cheer, but not too depressed because it will kill me. I do find the cover funny, with its promise of being the best laugh out loud comedy of the year, or something like that.

Anyways, going to rewatch Four Wedding and a Funeral again now.

Anyways, going to rewatch Synecdoche, New York now.

Haha, get it? It's recursion, just like in the film we're discussing (Inception)!

Deyv

I got it, which is impressive because I'm just a little person.

selectivememory

I think it's great, and it's definitely a film that left a lasting mark on me (though I'm not entirely sure that was a positive thing, as a friend of mine also went into a bit of a depressive slump after watching it). I don't watch nearly as many films as people on here seem to, but this one would probably make my all-time top 10 list. I do have a lot of time for Charlie Kaufman in general.

Dewt

I don't watch place name movies out of principle

Jim Bob

Add me to the pile of people who was really touched and moved by this film, but has absolutely zero interest in ever rewatching it.

sevendaughters

loved it at the time but found it a bit over-precious and annoying when I saw it in about November. my tastes in film have completely changed though.

neveragain

I still love it, and the fact it's about "rich" people doesn't negate the palpable existential angst. I apologise for that sentence.

Puce Moment

I have found my taste in film changing over the last 5-years, and I have really started to find Kaufman irritating. This is probably the best thing he has done in terms of innovation and purity of his voice. But it has his smug, self-obsessed fingers all over it, and on the most recent rewatch, I started to really dislike everything about it.

Small Man Big Horse

I loved it when I watched it, I've a huge amount of time for Kaufman in general and will definitely watch it again at some point, which is rare for me as I don't often see a film more than once.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: SteK on January 17, 2020, 12:47:37 PM
Watched this ages, thought it was a pile of pretentious crap, but I'm being strangely drawn into watching it again.

What's the hive-minds opinion on this film?

Ditto.

chveik

yes same. I thought it was utter garbage the first time I saw it but there is something oddly fascinating about it. mostly because the actors are very impressive I suppose, particularly Hoffman and Morton.

Chriddof

Quote from: A Car With No Doors on January 17, 2020, 02:40:29 PM
Can't really hack this shite anymore, even though I liked it when I first saw it a few years ago. There's a certain brand of neurotic American stuff that just feels very alien to me personally, and I'm not particularly interested in people vastly more successful than me making art about how awful everything is, and that we're all failures, anymore.

Off-topic a fair bit, but this is exactly how I feel about Chris Ware's comics.

idunnosomename

Sin NECK do kee

Dont say sin neck douche

Lord Mandrake

Being John Malkovich and Adaptation had just enough whimsy and offbeat humour to balance out the existential funk. This was just fucking miserable.

greenman

I'v tended to be the opposite, wasn't such a big fan of the earlier stuff but this and Eternal Sunshine with the drama turned up higher and the quirk lowered worked much better for me.

DrGreggles

One for the 'Films That Are Up Their Own Arse' thread.

kittens

loved it when i was 18, watched it again and again and showed it to all my friends. been years since i've seen it. rewatched being john malkovich and adaptation recently (actually thinking about it that was 2 years ago, fucking hell) and i've been meaning to rewatch this but i'm worried i'll think it's stupid as it meant so much to me at the time. also, i think at the time i tried to copy the horribly depressed negative outlook of the film and it has ultimately ruined my life. i'll watch it this weekend.

Phil_A

I think it's an incredible, visionary piece of work, but the last time I tried to watch it I realised my opinion on Caden had shifted. I didn't find him at all relatable any more and his relentless self-pity was almost unbearable. I realise this may've been what Kaufmann intended all along, to portray him as a pretentious fraud obsessed with his artistic legacy over everything else, but it definitely made the film more of a struggle to get through.

greenman

Quote from: Phil_A on January 18, 2020, 09:08:52 AM
I think it's an incredible, visionary piece of work, but the last time I tried to watch it I realised my opinion on Caden had shifted. I didn't find him at all relatable any more and his relentless self-pity was almost unbearable. I realise this may've been what Kaufmann intended all along, to portray him as a pretentious fraud obsessed with his artistic legacy over everything else, but it definitely made the film more of a struggle to get through.

Yeah that's my take, its not that all the endless meta stuff provides some deeper meaning but that it totally fails to do that, only when he gives up on it at the end does he get some kind of closure.

Lost Oliver

Seen it five times I think and I'd say it's in my top 5 of all times, possibly number one.

But man it's raw. I cry every time I watch it. There's an amazing review and explanation video series online of it that pretty much sums up while I'm obsessed with it.

And it's here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjqYpsuBrPU

There are five parts to it and it's unfiinished which is perfect in a way.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Lost Oliver on January 18, 2020, 11:59:32 AM
There's an amazing review and explanation video series online of it that pretty much sums up while I'm obsessed with it.

And it's here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjqYpsuBrPU

There are five parts to it and it's unfiinished which is perfect in a way.

I knew what that link would be before clicking on it.  For anyone reading this who isn't already subscribed to YMS.  Do it now, for it's easily one of the best film review channels on YouTube.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Dewt on January 17, 2020, 03:52:41 PM
I don't watch place name movies out of principle

Cos of "New York" rather than "Synecdoche", I assume? Mental.

touchingcloth