Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,495
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 06:12:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mr Derek is gone

Started by Tony Tony Tony, January 17, 2020, 02:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

News outlets are reporting the death, at age 82, of Derek Fowlds.

For me he will always be remembered as the best of Basil Brush's sidekicks as well as the sublime performance as Bernard Woolley in Yes Minister.

I was surprised to find he was married to Blue Peter's Lesley Judd who, together with Magpie's Jenny Handley, got me through some difficult teenage years.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on January 17, 2020, 02:55:54 PM
I was surprised to find he was married to Blue Peter's Lesley Judd

Only for 4 years, in the 70s.

I hate that fucking fox but he was excellent in Yes Minister, where he always delivered a perfectly pitched performance in the least showy role between Hawthorne's archness and Eddington's genial confusion. Was he always the straight man?

I remember in History Man he was that clumsy academic or university official who falls off a table or stool he's standing on, in front of a roomful of people.

lankyguy95

"Bernard, you excel yourself!"

Yes, Minister is one of the best things ever and he manages to find his own charming, funny place in between the stellar performances from Hawthorne and Eddington - not an easy thing to do at all.

John Nettleton has outlived the three of them. I guess Sir Arnold really was all-powerful.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 17, 2020, 04:58:26 PM

I hate that fucking fox but he was excellent in Yes Minister,

"and he reports to under-secretary of the permanent Secretary to the Secretary......boom! boom!"

gilbertharding

Loved Basil Brush, but Mr Roy was his friend when I used to watch. Did anyone see him (Basil) on Crackerjack this evening? Poignant.

He was great in Yes Minister. Not much more to say, really.

Ambient Sheep

I remember when Mr Derek changed to Mr Roy.  I was not happy.  Mr Roy was OK, but I much preferred Mr Derek.

RIP Mr Fowlds.

Replies From View