Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 12:57:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

HEADS UP: Everyone was logged out tonight, you must sign in again

Started by Barry Admin, January 17, 2020, 06:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Just a quick warning here that everyone is gonna have to sign in to their account again at some point tonight because of upgrades.

Done now.

Let me know if this ends up causing any problems, I'll hopefully have a new "contact' page up as well so you can email me.

weekender

Ah, so it's the annual "Guess someone's password" night?

Thanks for the heads-up, I love this game.

weekender

In all seriousness though, thanks.  I don't think I've changed my password since 1999, I should probably do something about that.  Good reminder for everyone to keep themselves safe online.

Dewt

What if I refuse? Tie myself to a forum post or something. What then?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: weekender on January 17, 2020, 06:25:33 PM
In all seriousness though, thanks.  I don't think I've changed my password since 1999, I should probably do something about that.  Good reminder for everyone to keep themselves safe online.

for god's sake get a password manager. It's 2020 for fuck's sake.

KennyMonster

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 17, 2020, 07:09:33 PM
for god's sake get a password manager. It's 2020 for fuck's sake.

What like some password guru, like having your own accountant or personal trainer?

some people have more money than cents

hamfist

I will sell you a password. I have some beauties.

Price depends on how much in demand and how secure. Post your password in here and I can give you an estimate for trade-in to get a new secure one.

H-O-W-L

Just went to go read my password in my password manager just in case it forgets it with the new site. I made this account while drunk so I had no recollection of the password, and... yeah, it's about right for a drunkard.

Dewt

If you're using a password manager you're defeating a lot of the point if the password comes from your own brain. It should be generated for you look like QW2fcn!zy5z60aGUzqLz4a*awN!p.

Sebastian Cobb

Dewt

Yep. I use a password manager too, but it's yours.

Sebastian Cobb

Using a password manager made me realise that there's some websites out there that inexplicably truncate input on 'special' characters. Why is this a thing?

Noonling

The real cleverclogs use passwords as reminders like BinsOnTuesdays or motivational quotes like BeTheChange$ or life goals like JoinNASA-Space!Woo!

Dewt

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 17, 2020, 07:55:35 PM
Using a password manager made me realise that there's some websites out there that inexplicably truncate input on 'special' characters. Why is this a thing?
Websites are really stupid. You've probably noticed that many of them have special JavaScript logic that is incompatible with password managers. Not because they are trying to prevent people using them, but because they just don't know what they're doing, and designed the login form with the assumption that all passwords are typed in by hand (which security-wise is one of the worst things you can ever do). An example of this is your password manager filling in the login details for you, and then you having to go back to manually enter and delete a character before the submit button becomes enabled.

Quote from: Noonling on January 17, 2020, 07:58:53 PM
The real cleverclogs use passwords as reminders like BinsOnTuesdays or motivational quotes like BeTheChange$ or life goals like JoinNASA-SpaceWoo!
My wordlist and fuzzy password crackers love those people.

Noonling

Quote from: Dewt on January 17, 2020, 08:00:12 PM

Yeah but those 1337 hackers never end up putting out their bins on time.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dewt on January 17, 2020, 08:00:12 PM
Websites are really stupid. You've probably noticed that many of them have special JavaScript logic that is incompatible with password managers. Not because they are trying to prevent people using them, but because they just don't know what they're doing, and designed the login form with the assumption that all passwords are typed in by hand (which security-wise is one of the worst things you can ever do). An example of this is your password manager filling in the login details for you, and then you having to go back to manually enter and delete a character before the submit button becomes enabled.

Yeah, I've even had ones where I'm sure the validation has sanitised or truncated the password in some way, but that's not happening on login, so the passwords will never match.

It's easier just to have a longer password without symbols.

Bazooka

Sign in again?  I dunno sounds like hard graft, might just become a lurker, and write my posts on paper.

Bazooka

I feel dizzy,bloated and my balls dropped, think it happened.

NoSleep

hamfist

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I thought I'd been banned, and I was trying to think of anything outrageous I'd said recently.

weekender

HAHA, THAT FUCKING STUPID WEEKENDER CUNT LEFT HIS PASSWORD AS THE SAME ONE HE'D HAD FOR NEARLY 20 YEARS!!!  I'VE GOT HIS ACCOUNT NNOW111

I'VE GOT HIM NOW THE BASTARD!

(Not taking the risk with this in 2020, sorry)

COME ON BRIAN AND MICHAEL