Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:25:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

HEADS UP: Everyone was logged out tonight, you must sign in again

Started by Barry Admin, January 17, 2020, 06:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerys

Quote from: hamfist on January 17, 2020, 08:20:39 PM
What year is it ? Who's the President ?

You really don't want to know.  Just trust me on this.

Barry Admin

Spoiler alert
let's gooooooooo
[close]

glow works for me, ya scrub. I don't think you can nest it within the marquee.

madhair60

please bring back karma and tags despite them both ultimately being a demonstrably negative presence on this forum - thanks

Barry Admin

Why is this appearing over [NB]here?[/nb]

Can someone please check the CSS and figure it out?

I think it is likely this:

Quotetd.footnum {
   vertical-align: top;
   text-align: right;
   width: 30px;

Align should be left? But I can't get that change to take place even though I have edited the install file and everything.

Or is it somewhere else, and that's just for the actual footnote number beside the initial text? It's doing my nut in.

Edit glitch should be gone.

Cerys

imitationleather

Quote from: madhair60 on January 18, 2020, 12:02:04 AM
please bring back karma and tags despite them both ultimately being a demonstrably negative presence on this forum - thanks

Tags = Yeah baby.

Karma = Fuck dat shit.

Barry Admin

Quote from: EditGlitch Removal Person on January 18, 2020, 12:18:41 AM
I've been very happy to help. Goodbye, all.

Don't top yourself mate, there will be other edit glitches, I'm sure.

Barry Admin

Quote from: imitationleather on January 18, 2020, 12:19:53 AM
Tags = Yeah baby.

Karma = Fuck dat shit.

Lots and lots of issues regards getting tags going again, but you never know.

With karma, I can't think of an implementation that isn't shite and negative in some way. I have a LOT of issues with that kind of way of grading "content" already, but a fundamental problem is that it produces a visible winner and loser in a discussion/argument, and dissaudes people (unless they're negative karma farmers - another issue) from saying contentious things that go against the grain.

People here like to say "thanks, good post" with them, but even with only upvotes/downvotes disabled, you still have a hierarchy and such.

Cerys

How about an option to +1 a post, with nothing but a running total appearing on the post itself?  No downvoting option, and if people feel the need to explain their reasoning they can do it either in the thread or via PM.  Whether or not it'd be possible for all users to see who upvoted, I don't know.

Barry Admin

(That's what I meant at the end, sorry I wasn't clear.)  You still have a hierarchy there and a clear visual indication of who has the most popular opinion in an argument.

I thought of maybe Discord style reaction icons you could tag posts with, but I think I just love text and don't want that visual clutter. And you would have the same fundamental issues as above I think anyway.

Cerys

Could just be an ambiguous symbol, then, so no-one knows what it's indicating beyond 'I read this post and you should too'.

But ... what should that symbol be?

Spoiler alert
A penis.  Clearly a penis.
[close]

Kryton

THIS IS THE LAST THING WE WANTED TO HAPPEN.
(I hope this helps?)

Kryton

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on January 17, 2020, 10:01:05 PM
Why would you try and run a website with your phone, isn't that a bit awkward? Don't you have a PC computer?

Why would you try and run a Chris Moyles fan-site without dial-in VHS?
Beggars belief.

Mister Six

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 18, 2020, 12:26:44 AM
People here like to say "thanks, good post" with them, but even with only upvotes/downvotes disabled, you still have a hierarchy and such.

I dunno, I think the only way I've seen it used is to say "I like this post". I never saw it as an invitation to a referendum or something.

Barry Admin

Trialing tags, currently for members only, basically because I need to try and get hold of (or rewrite) my "Who tagged it?" scripts. Tags will be fully attributable again, they are NOT anonymous.

Please don't be cunty with em, they're not there for snide digs at other posters.

The old tags are visible to view now as well.

Cerys

Barry Admin

Ahh okay, would only be able to add tags to your own threads for now, sorry.

Cerys

Cerys

Mister Six

Can see tags (although there's nothing separating them on the old threads so they look like a mad stream of consciousness run-on sentence). Can't add them onto any threads, whether mine or others'.

Really happy tags are coming back though. Yay! Thanks Neil.

NoSleep

Quote from: Cerys on January 18, 2020, 12:33:23 AM
How about an option to +1 a post, with nothing but a running total appearing on the post itself?  No downvoting option, and if people feel the need to explain their reasoning they can do it either in the thread or via PM.  Whether or not it'd be possible for all users to see who upvoted, I don't know.

They have this on Gearslutz and it works well. You upvote by clicking the thumbs up icon in the bottom right hand corner of a post. A running total appears to the left of thumbs up icon and you can see who voted by floating your cursor over the icon. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-product-alert/1292222-airwindows-biquadonehalf-mac-windows-linux-au-vst.html

Barry Admin

Quote from: Cerys on January 18, 2020, 04:16:31 AM
No joy.

What happens when you try to add a tag to this thread?

Edit: should work now for subscribers?

greencalx

Maybe you know it already but this site seems to have a bunch of themes that you can preview and see if they play nice on a phone before attempting to install: https://demo.smftricks.com. There look to be some ok free ones. (ETA: I think the Responsive themes are the ones to look at, as in principle these should auto-adapt to different devices).

greencalx