Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,174
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:24:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A Radio Times History of Doctor Who: 01 William Hartnell

Started by Replies From View, January 17, 2020, 08:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Here begins an archive project that I intend to complete.  I'm planning to chart a Radio Times history of Classic Doctor Who.  I'll be progressing chronologically from 1963 until the show's cancellation, and may continue into the 90s for the repeat season, the 30th anniversary and the TV Movie.  My intention is to be extensive and exhaustive, but we'll see what happens.

For historical interest, and to kick this thread off, this first post presents the week of 23rd November 1963 in its entirety.  It's 56 pages, so obviously I won't be sharing entire issues as a routine.  For all later episodes (with exceptions for special occasions) you can expect to see front covers, all Doctor Who related pages, then some various unrelated but historically interesting articles, adverts and the letters pages.

There will be some trial and error here as I attempt to find the best light to photograph these pages.  These ones were taken with artificial light; we'll see in the next post if daylight is better.  Please click for larger images.

Radio Times:  November 23-29, 1963

weekender

That's lovely, and thank you.

When I last went into the Birmingham Library archives, it was just to find what happened to a Dalek from a competition.

This is great, you can see where Viz got inspiration from.

Small Man Big Horse

Ditto Weekender's sentiments, I find old tv listings fascinating and definitely plan to follow this thread. And it was interesting to see that there was a Children In Need appeal on the 21st of November which only lasted five minutes, which some might say is still too long but at least they didn't devote a whole evening to it.

Replies From View

Season One, Episodes 1-4:  An Unearthly Child
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Unearthly_Child

Episode 1:  An Unearthly Child

Episode 2:  The Cave of Skulls

Episode 3:  The Forest of Fear

Episode 4:  The Firemaker

Deanjam

Great stuff Replies. EDIT: Just for the record, should the case arise, do you have any problem with me copying and sharing any of these images you post onto Twitter? I can link back to here for credit.

Thomas

Lovely idea, Replies. This'll be hugely enjoyed and appreciated by all the Who-heads here.

Replies From View

Quote from: Deanjam on January 19, 2020, 09:59:54 AM
Great stuff Replies. EDIT: Just for the record, should the case arise, do you have any problem with me copying and sharing any of these images you post onto Twitter? I can link back to here for credit.

That's fine Deanjam; I'd appreciate the link back to here, simply to acknowledge the time it takes to do something like this (although by the time it's retweeted for a third time any sense of origin is lost anyway, unless it's stamped into the image itself which it hasn't been).

I'm sharing this for the benefit of CaBbers and friends really rather than the wider internet, but I know I can't stop it being shared more broadly.

Deanjam

Quote from: Replies From View on January 19, 2020, 10:52:04 AM
That's fine Deanjam; I'd appreciate the link back to here, simply to acknowledge the time it takes to do something like this (although by the time it's retweeted for a third time any sense of origin is lost anyway, unless it's stamped into the image itself which it hasn't been).

I'm sharing this for the benefit of CaBbers and friends really rather than the wider internet, but I know I can't stop it being shared more broadly.

Thanks. I'm linked up with a few people on there who would be interested in this kind of stuff.

Replies From View

Quote from: Deanjam on January 19, 2020, 11:34:09 AM
Thanks. I'm linked up with a few people on there who would be interested in this kind of stuff.

No problem.  Encourage them to sign up here if there is some potential for discussion!

Quote from: weekender on January 17, 2020, 09:05:32 PM
This is great, you can see where Viz got inspiration from.
Yes, especially page 56, the home of sheds and fags.

Replies From View

Here's a question. 

The pages shared in the first post of this thread were taken under artificial light, while those shared in my second post were taken with a bit more natural light so are consequently less yellow.  In full daylight they wouldn't really be yellow at all.

The (possibly silly) question is:  does the yellowness from the artificial light subtract from your enjoyment of these pages?  To my mind the whiter pages are nicer to archive, but it involves getting to the British Library during daylight hours which isn't something I am able to do very often, at least until the lighter evenings of Spring/Summer.  The next time I'll be able to go during the daytime will be the week of 15th Feb.

If you don't mind yellow pages I'll be able to progress through this archive at a faster rate, but then we'll have all yellow pages to look at.  Do you have a preference either way?

weekender

I don't mind the slightly yellower pages, it's the actual content that I find interesting - which, again, thank you for taking the time to post.

Deanjam

Replies From View

Great.  I'll do another batch next weekend, then.  As the next issue is for Christmas 1963 I'm thinking I may share it in its entirety.

Small Man Big Horse

Oddly I prefer the yellower pages, they make me feel more nostalgic for the past even though that probably doesn't make any sense.

Replies From View

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 19, 2020, 02:12:12 PM
Oddly I prefer the yellower pages, they make me feel more nostalgic for the past even though that probably doesn't make any sense.

There's a warmth to them, maybe.

purlieu

Yeah, no problem with colours here. Great idea for a thread, anyway, enjoying looking at these!

Roventini

You are a wonderful person for doing this, Replies. One thing that jumped out at me the first time I ever saw some old RTs and TVTs was how much they really loved their disembodied heads in the 50s and 60s.

Endicott

Quote from: Replies From View on January 19, 2020, 01:06:55 PM
Here's a question. 

The pages shared in the first post of this thread were taken under artificial light, while those shared in my second post were taken with a bit more natural light so are consequently less yellow.  In full daylight they wouldn't really be yellow at all.

The (possibly silly) question is:  does the yellowness from the artificial light subtract from your enjoyment of these pages?  To my mind the whiter pages are nicer to archive, but it involves getting to the British Library during daylight hours which isn't something I am able to do very often, at least until the lighter evenings of Spring/Summer.  The next time I'll be able to go during the daytime will be the week of 15th Feb.

If you don't mind yellow pages I'll be able to progress through this archive at a faster rate, but then we'll have all yellow pages to look at.  Do you have a preference either way?

You could also use a photo edit app to alter the white balance which would allow you to edit the yellow ones before you post them. You ought to be able to cool them down to white. Your phone might already have this kind of feature built in to the gallery app.

Endicott

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 19, 2020, 02:12:12 PM

Paper goes yellow with age doesn't it? So that makes sense, that they feel old.

Replies From View

As promised, here is the Christmas 1963 issue in its entirety.

Replies From View

Season One, Episodes 5-11:  The Daleks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Daleks

Episode 5:  The Dead Planet

Episode 6:  The Survivors

Episode 7:  The Escape

Episode 8:  The Ambush

Episode 9:  The Expedition

Episode 10:  The Ordeal

Episode 11:  The Rescue

Replies From View

Season One, Episodes 12-13:  The Edge of Destruction
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Edge_of_Destruction

Episode 12:  The Edge of Destruction

Episode 13:  The Brink of Disaster

Deanjam

This made me laugh. Thank goodness we don't have any of these problems anymore!

Thanks for these once again Replies!

Replies From View

I'm going to have to limit how many images I upload to each page in this thread, aren't I.

Episode 13:  The Unloading Jpegs

I'll save Marco Polo until page 2 I think.

Deanjam

Maybe if you limited it to a couple of pictures per post, so a dozen pics would take up 6 posts, then the page would fill quicker? Unless that's a bit of a pain.

Replies From View

Quote from: Deanjam on January 29, 2020, 12:32:28 PM
Maybe if you limited it to a couple of pictures per post, so a dozen pics would take up 6 posts, then the page would fill quicker? Unless that's a bit of a pain.

You are speaking to a man who, due to a formatting decision in an earlier post, is now stuck with forever writing every season number as a word and the episode numbers numerically.  Pedantic doesn't cover it.  An entire story will, for better or worse, always use a single post.

Besides, I haven't taken photos of the Marco Polo issues yet.  I'll hopefully get them and maybe The Keys of Marinus done at the weekend.

weekender

Ongoing thanks Replies.

Two observations for the casual reader:

Episode 9:  The Expedition - Genuinely thought the front page was from Doctor Who for a split second.

Episode 1: An Unearthly Child - I've just re-read the blurb at the end of the original introductory article on page 7:

QuoteThey may visit a distant galaxy where civilisation has been devastated by the blast of a neutron bomb or they may find themselves journeying to far Cathay in the caravan of Marco Polo

"They may stay in the TARDIS and one of them gets a bit stabby with scissors" seems to have been missed from that prediction, but otherwise an eerily prescient hypothesis.

In reality it's a reminder that Doctor Who was originally only approved for 13 episodes, and that Edge of Destruction - whose name takes on even more significance - originally came to life as a quick 'filler' in case they didn't get approval to continue and make Marco Polo.

Sort of makes me wonder how they might have ended Edge of Destruction's second episode, were it to have been the last ever episode of Doctor Who.

weekender

Quote from: Replies From View on January 29, 2020, 06:45:55 PM
You are speaking to a man who, due to a formatting decision in an earlier post, is now stuck with forever writing every season number as a word and the episode numbers numerically.  Pedantic doesn't cover it.  An entire story will, for better or worse, always use a single post.

I am sorry that I laughed at your pain.