Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:01:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Limits of Growth

Started by bgmnts, January 17, 2020, 09:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

So this report came out in 1972, The Limits of Growth, as i'm sure all of you already know because you're all nerds and it stated that civilisation would suffer a traumatic decline if capitalistic economic growth remained unchecked.

As we all know it was basically in the early 70s that we really fucking ramped up the consumption and fossil fuels and frivolous spending, and now I think I read arojnd 75% wildlife has gone extinct, Australia is literally burning, China's GDP growth is slowest its been in 30 years, Europe and the US is regressing to right wing tribal politics, even in the most developed countries there is considerable poverty and inequality.

Fair play for getting the exact year right mind. 

Ray Travez

I haven't seen the report. I'd say that decline is inevitable. All things arise, all things pass away sez the Buddha. Probably an unprecedented proliferation of people, and the rampant exploitation of resources that goes along with this is creating a situation where a rapid or even catastrophic decline is unavoidable.

I'm not keen on the idea of endless growth. Does it make anyone happy? Doesn't seem to. Also impossible.

Quote from: bgmnts on January 17, 2020, 09:59:14 PM
So this report came out in 1972, The Limits of Growth, as i'm sure all of you already know because you're all nerds and it stated that civilisation would suffer a traumatic decline if capitalistic economic growth remained unchecked.

I haven't seen the report, but I think 'The Limits of Growth' would be a good insult to use on angry manlets and baldies. I'll note it down in my book of abuse.