Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:19:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Primavera 2020

Started by hummingofevil, January 18, 2020, 12:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hummingofevil

Shall I start a new thread or shall we do it here but I want recommendations from that line up. I have cross references with the albums of the year thread and got all the old timers sewed up (I last saw Massive Attack at Phoenix 96 and they were fucking ace so up for that bit of nostaligia even though I haven't listened to a thing of theirs in 20 years).

Recommed me fuckers!

Fuck it. I'll split the threads.

----

Here we go.

1. Hannah Diamond

PC Music Bedroom G-Shock bedroom GirlPop. Richard Dawson is a fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKztreA6e7Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Jc9b4Eqhw

I booked the Tyneside Cinema for my 40th Birthday and forced friends and family to watch The Princess Bride (they loved it) and my pre-film soundtrack was all Hannah Diamond.

hummingofevil

2. Speaking of Richard. I'm sure you all know him but this is a new one and an old one.

New: Jogging

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGiQ_-Ktpvc

Old: A Parent's Address To His Firstborn Son On The Day of His Birth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwZHRl3Wxb0

Oooo... tingles.

non capisco

I cannot bloody wait to see Richard Dawson, love that 2020 album. Ohhhh, Mr. Dawwwww-son.

We'll have to do a mini CaB meet at this thing.

hummingofevil

Quote from: non capisco on January 18, 2020, 12:41:30 AM
I cannot bloody wait to see Richard Dawson, love that 2020 album. Ohhhh, Mr. Dawwwww-son.

We'll have to do a mini CaB meet at this thing.

Absolutely! My only complaint about Primavera is that the site is so insanely huge that if me, as someone with a weak bladder, needs a piss, by the time I wandered for one and got back to my place I needed another one so it felt less like a "festival" and series of (admitedly) awesome gigs. I just shouldn't booze unless I am sat in my kitchen. :)

You got an number 3. recommendation? Been listening to Norman Fucking Rockwell  and whilst it is lovely it is not filling me full of festival vibes. It's fine. Bit confused by like of Kacey Musgraves. WHAT are they? Pop godesses like CRJ or slo-mo insta queens?

hummingofevil

Of the headliners that aren't 90's legends I actually most fancy Disclosure. I am going to spend the next 5 months moaning that nothing will beat Robyn. And rightfully so. At the time I loved it but the more I watch it back it was utter genius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCPrjEgS0pI

3. So King Gizzard and The Wizard Lizzard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_un9PYsE1_g

non capisco

Of the acts I haven't previously seen and am currently investigating I'm getting quite into Squid today. I saw Mavis Staples a couple of years ago in the middle of a particularly grim bit of jury service and she lifted my spirits during a fortnight when I thought humanity was pretty much a dead loss so she's a must. Lightning Bolt are always a party, as are Les Savy Fav and King Gizzard. Black Midi are ridiculous live, the irksomely talented young pups. Blawan and Bicep are gonna rule for your dancey shit. Jessica Pratt's great. I fucking love Tropical Fuck Storm and everything else Gareth Liddiard has ever put his name to. And that really is just for starters. It's gonna be aces.

hummingofevil

Quote from: non capisco on January 18, 2020, 01:42:00 AM
Of the acts I haven't previously seen and am currently investigating I'm getting quite into Squid today. I saw Mavis Staples a couple of years ago in the middle of a particularly grim bit of jury service and she lifted my spirits during a fortnight when I thought humanity was pretty much a dead loss so she's a must. Lightning Bolt are always a party, as are Les Savy Fav and King Gizzard. Black Midi are ridiculous live, the irksomely talented young pups. Blawan and Bicep are gonna rule for your dancey shit. Jessica Pratt's great. I fucking love Tropical Fuck Storm and everything else Garteh Liddiard has ever put his name to. And that really is just for starters. It's gonna be aces.

Fuck yeah. That is the spirit. Of course. How the hell to Lightning Bolt gig at a festival? I've only ever seen them in a small venue where we all crowded around. Bill Callahan and Les Savy Fav. My god...

Last year, the "small" stages had Sigrid and Sophie and Lizzo and Danny Harle that were monsters playing way above their capacity. Will be weird seeing actual bands. The shittest things last year by a mile were Primal Scream and Interpol that just had no vibe (but Low had the most intimate gig ever on a stage in front of 3000 people so yeah).

Let's not forget the very best thing about Primavera is the sound systems. Every single act last year SOUNDED fucking immense.

non capisco

Oh man. I forgot Bill Callahan was even there. Earl Sweatshirt as well! Weyes Blood! Roll on, June!

hummingofevil

I might have bought flights to arrive in Barcelona at 21.30 on the Thursday and then might have lied to my girlfriend that we are flying out on Wednesday when I lied to her that I accidentally booked them for the Wednesday but instead just booked more flights. Still cheaper than paying full price by flying from Newcastle the robbing Easy Jet cunts (£700 return). Shhh.

hummingofevil

If anyone wants to pay me £230 to change name for two flights from Manchester on the Thursday you are welcome to them .

alan nagsworth

Blawan is fucking mint. Cop his album Wet Will Always Dry, fantastic abrasive industrial techno. Ben UFO is a superb DJ as well.

Will post more at some point but I'm about to move house so I'll just quickly say that hummingofevil is a scum sucking motherfucker to be avoided at all costs. Just an awful, awful man.

imitationleather

The thing with Primavera, right, is that it's too bloody hot my English sensibilities.

Pauline Walnuts

yeah, that looks alright. I guess.

hummingofevil

Quote from: imitationleather on January 18, 2020, 11:02:13 AM
The thing with Primavera, right, is that it's too bloody hot my English sensibilities.

Schoolboy error. It is fucking cold. Well least jumper weather. Barcelona in June is fucking gorgeous but at 3am by the sea is gets a bit nippy.

I ended up listening to loads of Rina Sawayama. My god. Amazing.

phantom_power

There is a Spotify playlist:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2bzu7Z1kaEzdMm3gexRTpy?si=UsDge5n3RVaHFxikHryHuA

From the initial line-up announcement a few weeks ago I have listened to Jenny Hval and Sudan Archives and they are both really good. I really like Fontaines DC as well

I look forward to rinsing that playlist between now and June so I am up to speed with all the bands I want to see

imitationleather

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 18, 2020, 02:21:11 PM

Schoolboy error. It is fucking cold. Well least jumper weather. Barcelona in June is fucking gorgeous but at 3am by the sea is gets a bit nippy.

Ah I went in 2017 and found the daytime stuff brutal. Would go again, though. That lineup is good.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 18, 2020, 02:21:11 PM

I ended up listening to loads of Rina Sawayama. My god. Amazing.

She's a goddess and I've been obsessed with her ever since her debut EP, but the two latest singles are really not very good at all. They're a precursor to her album in April and it's worrisome to say the least. She's fucking ACE live though.

hummingofevil

Quote from: alan nagsworth on January 18, 2020, 10:10:12 AM
Blawan is fucking mint. Cop his album Wet Will Always Dry, fantastic abrasive industrial techno. Ben UFO is a superb DJ as well.

Will post more at some point but I'm about to move house so I'll just quickly say that hummingofevil is a scum sucking motherfucker to be avoided at all costs. Just an awful, awful man.

I hope that is a joke. I am genuinely concerned that you being serious.

hummingofevil

Quote from: alan nagsworth on January 18, 2020, 08:29:30 PM
She's a goddess and I've been obsessed with her ever since her debut EP, but the two latest singles are really not very good at all. They're a precursor to her album in April and it's worrisome to say the least. She's fucking ACE live though.

Absolutely love what I've heard. The new album is out soon so who knows what is up but listening to what there is out there she can do anything. One track is TLC RnB and the next is J-Pop metal. Let's hope it's good.

#hummingofevil is cancelled for being a prick.:(

alan nagsworth

I was absolutely joking you lovely man. I'm very much looking forward to hanging out with you again!

alan nagsworth

Howay then cunts, what discoveries are we making from this lineup? What are you already salivating over that the rest of us might not yet have heard?

I'm sayin'...

Otoboke Beaver - Batshit punk noise from Japan, unhinged and screaming and extremely wild and fun. Sounds like they'd be a total riot on stage. For fans of Melt-Banana and Midori!
Album choice: Itekoma Hits

Boy Harsher - Very '80s sounding synth pop, a bit of an ethereal and almost industrial vibe to it. It's quite dreamy whilst also being insistent and danceable. I can't tell if they'd be really boring live or if they'd whip up a fuckin TR-909 storm. Curious though.
Album choice: Country Girl Uncut

Oh shit my dinner's ready. More to follow. You?

alan nagsworth

More? Oh, go on then!

Call Super & Shanti Celeste - Call Super makes super lovely electronic stuff. If you dig the robotic sorta artificially intelligent techno of Objekt and the rough-hewn leafy elation of Four Tet where the beats feel organic and almost breathing, you might dig this. Not too heavy at all, Arpo sounds like sitting by a stream in a forest on some alien planet. Shanti Celeste is more beat-driven and uptempo but it's still very light and ethereal behind that. I've been told great things about CS's sets so I think this has potential to be great.
Album choices: Call Super - Arpo / Shanti Celeste - Tangerine

phantom_power

If you like your lovely electronic music then you should give Blawan and AFRODEUTSCHE a go if you haven't already

alan nagsworth

Big fan of Blawan here. Have been ever since Fram. He's been putting out fucking great techno stuff ever since (2018's "Wet Will Always Dry" was a fantastic heart-pumping abrasive record and his work with Pariah under the Karenn name is similarly brilliant). I'm very excited to finally catch one of his sets. You know he's HIV positive? Fucking awful but from what I gather he seems to be living relatively okay with it.

hummingofevil

Oh. Cheers for these. Will go digging right now.

hummingofevil

Quote from: alan nagsworth on January 31, 2020, 06:06:42 PM
Big fan of Blawan here. Have been ever since Fram. He's been putting out fucking great techno stuff ever since (2018's "Wet Will Always Dry" was a fantastic heart-pumping abrasive record and his work with Pariah under the Karenn name is similarly brilliant). I'm very excited to finally catch one of his sets. You know he's HIV positive? Fucking awful but from what I gather he seems to be living relatively okay with it.

Ha ha. Blawan stuff is good but I have to resign myself to sacking all techno off for Primavera. I took (dragged) Rachael (the love of my life and Primavera going companion) to see Avalon Emerson on the beach at 4am on the Saturday last year and she, quite rightfully had a massive strop and demanded we leave as a. we had been up for 18 hours and b. everyone else but us was off their nut. :). If you going to Primavera for techno you will have a great time but not if you with Rachael.... or me. Ha ha.

I think Baltra is playing this year who has released stuff on On Paradise which is my mates' (two mates - their label) and is really good. So check him out.

hummingofevil

Quote from: alan nagsworth on January 29, 2020, 07:57:12 PM
Howay then cunts, what discoveries are we making from this lineup? What are you already salivating over that the rest of us might not yet have heard?

I'm sayin'...

Otoboke Beaver - Batshit punk noise from Japan, unhinged and screaming and extremely wild and fun. Sounds like they'd be a total riot on stage. For fans of Melt-Banana and Midori!
Album choice: Itekoma Hits

Boy Harsher - Very '80s sounding synth pop, a bit of an ethereal and almost industrial vibe to it. It's quite dreamy whilst also being insistent and danceable. I can't tell if they'd be really boring live or if they'd whip up a fuckin TR-909 storm. Curious though.
Album choice: Country Girl Uncut

Oh shit my dinner's ready. More to follow. You?

おとぼけビ~バ~ . Cheers. Will definitely check them out. Love mad Japanese shit. Only confusion is how that works at Primavera. This stuff surely works in intimade environments. Like Lightning Bolt. How the fuck do Lightning Bolt do festival gigs? At Supersonic yes but I can't quite see it at Primavera. But excited to find out... :)

Agree with you about Boy Harder but leaning more to boring as fuck. Sound like something you would dismiss on an NME Electroclash mix tape in 1999.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: hummingofevil on February 01, 2020, 02:47:06 AM
Agree with you about Boy Harder but leaning more to boring as fuck.

Myself and capisco have concluded the same, haha.

I saw Lightning Bolt play at Day For Night Festival in Texas a couple years back and honestly it was one of the best times I've seen them (having never had the privilege to see one of their "floor shows"). It was the second-to-main stage, outdoors, and about 3 degrees. They came out wrapped in winter clothing and of course after one song Chippendale was stripping off whilst playing, belting himself in the thighs with his sticks to keep the circulation going. The crowd wasn't packed or too lovely because of the bloody cold but they absolutely blasted it out.

If something else pips LB on the lineup then I'll go there instead, though, as I've seen them a fair few times now and you pretty much know what you're in for at this point. Unless they play, like, on the beach or something!

hummingofevil

Quote from: alan nagsworth on February 01, 2020, 09:08:11 AM
Myself and capisco have concluded the same, haha.

I saw Lightning Bolt play at Day For Night Festival in Texas a couple years back and honestly it was one of the best times I've seen them (having never had the privilege to see one of their "floor shows"). It was the second-to-main stage, outdoors, and about 3 degrees. They came out wrapped in winter clothing and of course after one song Chippendale was stripping off whilst playing, belting himself in the thighs with his sticks to keep the circulation going. The crowd wasn't packed or too lovely because of the bloody cold but they absolutely blasted it out.

If something else pips LB on the lineup then I'll go there instead, though, as I've seen them a fair few times now and you pretty much know what you're in for at this point. Unless they play, like, on the beach or something!

I saw Lightning Bolt play in a Catholic Social club in the Toon about 12 years ago. I might have been the first gig date I went on with Rach. We sat on the stairs and watched the crowd encircle them and go mental right up to the point of being dicks (but never beyond). It's a thing of pure joy and self regulation watching people NEARLY push each other into the Brians gear. :).

Can't wait to see them again.