Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:45:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New computer/laptop advice thread

Started by Barry Admin, January 18, 2020, 10:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

As requested recently, a dedicated tread for people who want advice and assistance with buying a new puter.

Cold Meat Platter

Hi need suggestions for a budget gaming PC please, sub 500 notes. Already have a 2GB gtx960 from a broken PC.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on March 14, 2020, 03:15:46 PM
Hi need suggestions for a budget gaming PC please, sub 500 notes. Already have a 2GB gtx960 from a broken PC.

Fierce PC seem to be pretty well-regarded. They start from around £300 for machines with integrated graphics (assuming you want to reuse that GTX 960). However, if you want something beefier, you can get something with a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti for about £480.

Horrible cases though.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Pseudopath on March 14, 2020, 05:02:56 PM
Fierce PC seem to be pretty well-regarded. They start from around £300 for machines with integrated graphics (assuming you want to reuse that GTX 960). However, if you want something beefier, you can get something with a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti for about £480.

Horrible cases though.

Cheers, going to order from them I reckon.
GTX 1650 4GB Super or RX580 8GB you reckon? The GeForce is looking better in benchmarks but it's half the VRAM.

Cold Meat Platter

For anyone interested, bought a pre-built PC with windows featuring:
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
Nvidia GTX 1650 Super 4GB
8 GB Corsair Vengeance ddr4 3000MHZ ( 1st thing to be upgraded, RAM module is about £35 )
240 GB NVMe SSD
1TB mechanical hard drive

~£600

For a refurbished laptop around £250 - are the Thinkpad x230s still the best bet?

popcorn

I'm thinking of buying a PC to play Half-Life: Alyx but know nothing about buying PCs. I'm having a pretty tedious time cross-referencing the specs with PCs on Amazon etc. Does anyone have any simple solutions?

Utter Shit

Anyone able to recommend a new computer for me?

I've had my current one for eight years, it's still basically functional but can be very slow in certain circumstances, particularly if I have uTorrent open seeding lots of files for some reason. Spec is here if that is any use in terms of working out how much I'd need to spend to improve significantly (as I'd not want to have to replace it again for a few years):

QuoteOS Name   Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version   10.0.18363 Build 18363
Other OS Description    Not Available
OS Manufacturer   Microsoft Corporation
System Name   SIMONPC
System Manufacturer   System manufacturer
System Model   System Product Name
System Type   x64-based PC
System SKU   SKU
Processor   Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G630 @ 2.70GHz, 2700 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date   American Megatrends Inc. 0405, 03/11/2011
SMBIOS Version   2.6
Embedded Controller Version   255.255
BIOS Mode   Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer   ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Product   P8H61-MX
BaseBoard Version   Rev X.0x
Platform Role   Workstation
Secure Boot State   Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration   Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory   C:\WINDOWS
System Directory   C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device   \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale   United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer   Version = "10.0.18362.752"
User Name   SimonPC\Simon
Time Zone   GMT Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)   8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory   7.91 GB
Available Physical Memory   3.44 GB
Total Virtual Memory   26.1 GB
Available Virtual Memory   20.6 GB
Page File Space   18.2 GB
Page File   C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection   Off
Virtualization-based security   Not enabled
Device Encryption Support   Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions   Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions   Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware   No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection   Yes

I don't really use it for that much - pretty much no games (the most intensive I'd be likely to instal is FM2020, but I doubt I will bother), and the most I'd likely have open at once is a browser with a few tabs open, iTunes and music production software.

I don't need any peripherals, monitor or Windows, and ideally I'd like to have a big hard drive (2tb or more) but it's not essential and 1tb would be fine. I don't want to spend over £400, but is that realistic for what I want?

Cheers!

popcorn

Quote from: weekender on April 27, 2020, 06:03:47 PM
What's your budget?

If X is "the minimum to run the game acceptably", then X + 10%.

Wilbur

Mr Shit I'd be inclined to just get a fast i5 1155 processor on ebay and maybe double the memory as that's an OK(ish) motherboard (unless its knackered). Be probably less than  £100  and likely keep you going for another couple of years at least.....

Unless you need faster USB 3.o and sata ports which are the weakish points.

Utter Shit

To be honest the PC is a bit cream crackered in general, most of the USB ports don't even work now! No idea on the motherboard but the machine is very slow at times.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on March 23, 2020, 03:16:33 PM
For a refurbished laptop around £250 - are the Thinkpad x230s still the best bet?

They're about a ton less than that now. I've had one for years and it's been great.

I had a look and you can go a few generations newer than the x230 now. I'd go for the current gen -1 or 2 if I was buying now.

Dunno how easy they are to hackintosh though if that's your bag.

The 'trick' I think is to get one with a hdd and swap it for an ssd rather than buying the ssd model. When I did this an SK Hyinx ssd cost the best part of a ton, but now you can get a cheap ssd that is about as performant for about 20 quid, and on a thinkpad it's just a case of sliding a tray out to swap them.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 05, 2020, 04:00:07 PM
Anyone able to recommend a new computer for me?

I've had my current one for eight years, it's still basically functional but can be very slow in certain circumstances, particularly if I have uTorrent open seeding lots of files for some reason. Spec is here if that is any use in terms of working out how much I'd need to spend to improve significantly (as I'd not want to have to replace it again for a few years):

I don't really use it for that much - pretty much no games (the most intensive I'd be likely to instal is FM2020, but I doubt I will bother), and the most I'd likely have open at once is a browser with a few tabs open, iTunes and music production software.

I don't need any peripherals, monitor or Windows, and ideally I'd like to have a big hard drive (2tb or more) but it's not essential and 1tb would be fine. I don't want to spend over £400, but is that realistic for what I want?

Cheers!

Extra question (though still looking for advice if anyone can recommend one!) - does anyone know any websites that allow you to remove things like the monitor and OS from the package?

Wilbur

Not that it matters that much but the Dells in that link are NOT corporate models. The corporate ones are the Optiplex models and at a stretch the vostros. The Optiplexes are usually pretty good although the very recent ones (say the last 2 years) are going back towards being VERY limited on how you can upgrade/repair them.

Utter Shit

Cheers for the links and advice guys - those Dells are all i3 in my price range, would that be fine? I'd been led to believe that anything less than an i5 would mean replacing in a couple of years, but I know nothing about all of this!

Wilbur

The i3 vs i5 vs i7 etc thing isn't particularly helpful as a fast 6th generation i3 can be faster and cooler than an early i5.

There are a few web sites where you can compare processors, this is one (no affiliation or recommendation implied)

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleCompare.php

olliebean

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 06, 2020, 12:10:49 PMhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/179/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=refurbished+dell

£80 for a quad core with 8gb of ram.

That eBay one seems a bit dodgy in that it doesn't actually tell you what processor it's got - "Intel core 2 quad" is a bit vague for comfort.

There are some decent refurbished deals on Amazon, for example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-OptiPlex-i5-3470-Professional-Computer/dp/B01H5N8XRQ - which I got last year, along with a 2TB USB drive, to replace my 11-year-old Vostro. Very happy with the speed upgrade.

weekender

This doesn't exactly fit the thread, but I didn't think it merited a thread of its own - I'm in the market for a new keyboard.

Until recently I had a second hand Logitech G15 which was remarkably comfortable and looked pretty nice too.  I'm currently using a £7 Trust keyboard from Tesco as a short term replacement and it's really not the same.

Main considerations:

• Mechanical
  • Wired probably preferable so I can switch between home PC and work laptop relatively easy using a USB switch, unless you can now get multiple USB connectors allowing one keyboard to connect to two devices wirelessly?  I haven't looked into whether this is currently possible, although as my mouse (Logitech MX Master) can do this I imagine it may be possible?
  • Layout similar to the G15 would be nice
  • Must look very nice, I want backlit keys, any showy-off graphics panels etc - this is simply because I am incredibly superficial
  • Easily programmable keys would be nice
My main use for this will be as a keyboard, I don't have any particular gaming requirements.  I don't really have a budget either - as long as I'm paying relatively fair market value that would be OK.

I'm quite liking the look of this Razor BlackWidow Elite at the moment, to give you an idea of the sort of thing I'm looking for.  I like the look of those buttons on the top right which presumably do video/music things.

As this will be used as both a 'working from home' and 'home' keyboard I'm prepared to make a decent investment so I get the right thing.

Any suggestions to rival the Razor would be appreciated.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: weekender on May 06, 2020, 06:04:16 PM
This doesn't exactly fit the thread, but I didn't think it merited a thread of its own - I'm in the market for a new keyboard.

Until recently I had a second hand Logitech G15 which was remarkably comfortable and looked pretty nice too.  I'm currently using a £7 Trust keyboard from Tesco as a short term replacement and it's really not the same.

Main considerations:

• Mechanical
  • Wired probably preferable so I can switch between home PC and work laptop relatively easy using a USB switch, unless you can now get multiple USB connectors allowing one keyboard to connect to two devices wirelessly?  I haven't looked into whether this is currently possible, although as my mouse (Logitech MX Master) can do this I imagine it may be possible?
  • Must look very nice, I want backlit keys, any showy-off graphics panels etc - this is simply because I am incredibly superficial
My main use for this will be as a keyboard, I don't have any particular gaming requirements.  I don't really have a budget either - as long as I'm paying relatively fair market value that would be OK.

I'm quite liking the look of this Razor BlackWidow Elite at the moment, to give you an idea of the sort of thing I'm looking for.  I like the look of those buttons on the top right which presumably do video things.

As this will be used as both a 'working from home'  and 'home' keyboard I'm prepared to make a decent investment so I get the right thing.

I bought this recently. Can do wired but also 4 different machines via bluetooth.

https://www.keychron.com/collections/keychron-iso-keyboard-collection

There are more plentiful options if you don't want an iso layout and are ok with US.

Main downside is the gimmicky backlight and having to cycle through them all because I dunno if there's a quick way to turn it back off. Pointless feature really.

weekender

QuoteOur gaming PCs are made USING BRAND NEW COMPONENTS EXCLUDING THE MOTHERBOARD, RAM, AND CPU

I was initially moderately concerned about their motherboard statement, but it looks like they just recycle broken computers and chuck in the relevant component parts to get them working again to a good standard.

They've got over 16k feedback with a 99.4% feedback rate, I'd be minded to trust them to be honest.

I don't think I'd call the model you've linked to as 'ultra fast' as they do, but it seems decent and fairly priced.  Missing an SSD though, I think?

Utter Shit

I'm not bothered about the speed of the hard drive, size is more important to me...in theory could I get an SSD and then instal my current PC's HDD as well?

wasp_f15ting

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 06, 2020, 06:54:32 PM
Does this one look ok? And are eBay buys reliable? I've never bought anything expensive off there before, and particularly not anything like this. But it looks good and seems to be reasonably priced within my budget.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fast-Gaming-PC-Computer-Bundle-Intel-Quad-Core-i5-16GB-1TB-Windows-10-2GB-GT710/302507090694?_trkparms=aid%3D555021%26algo%3DPL.SIMRVI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20191002091506%26meid%3D23234acee3974aac95e61ea05e3ee916%26pid%3D101096%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpf%26sd%3D372953227965%26itm%3D302507090694%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2332490%26algv%3DSimplRVIAMLv5NativeWithPLRVIOnTopCombiner&_trksid=p2332490.c101096.m3021

Yikes.. 2nd Gen i7 and GT710 will not let you play games. This looks horrendous do not buy. There is more compute power in an iPhone SE than this hot garbage

wasp_f15ting

Quote from: weekender on May 06, 2020, 06:04:16 PM

Main considerations:

• Mechanical

I'm quite liking the look of this Razor BlackWidow Elite at the moment, to give you an idea of the sort of thing I'm looking for.  I like the look of those buttons on the top right which presumably do video/music things.

As this will be used as both a 'working from home' and 'home' keyboard I'm prepared to make a decent investment so I get the right thing.

I just got the logitech G915, it fits the requirements of being low profile and mechanical whilst not sounding like a typewriter when I am on conference calls. The build is epic too

Utter Shit

Quote from: wasp_f15ting on May 06, 2020, 11:10:47 PM
Yikes.. 2nd Gen i7 and GT710 will not let you play games. This looks horrendous do not buy. There is more compute power in an iPhone SE than this hot garbage

Ah Christ, I thought I had found a good one! Should I be able to get a decent one for less than 400?

Wilbur

Go for a 4 year (ish) old Optiplex

Like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Optiplex-3020-SFF-i5-4th-Gen-CPU-8GB-DDR3-500GB-HDD/274310421761?hash=item3fde2cdd01:g:fZIAAOSwXMZecZuY

Cheap as chips and will do what you want without any silly flashing keyboard nonsense :)

You can stick in a bigger HD and still be in pocket.

Utter Shit