Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:38:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Seberg

Started by Mark Steels Stockbroker, January 19, 2020, 02:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Saw it yesterday although only showing at a limited number of places. It's ok, but a bit too much like a TV movie, though since it was made for Amazon it kinda is one. I think I would have preferred Steven Soderbergh directing it but I guess they couldn't get him.

Questions for experts:

1. Is this the first film with a high profile cast to take a positive view of the Panthers?
2. Is this the first film to discuss COINTELPRO as a historical fact rather than vague hypothetical?

There have been documentaries on these issues, but I wondering of this represents a move forward.

(Spam removed)

Sebastian Cobb

I really wanted to see this, but Uncut Gems was sold out at the weekend and El Topo was on during the week so it lost out unfortunately. Hopefully if it's Amazon what done it, it'll be on prime soon then?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on January 19, 2020, 02:19:44 PM
1. Is this the first film with a high profile cast to take a positive view of the Panthers?
2. Is this the first film to discuss COINTELPRO as a historical fact rather than vague hypothetical?

Without having seen the film (which everyone I know who has says it's abysmal)...

1 - probably, yes.  There are several Blaxploitation films that, unsurprisingly, feature the Panthers as a positive movement, several more that mention them in passing, and more still that feature allusions to them, but those are obviously genre films that feature a "high profile cast" within the genre of Blaxploitation, so I don't know if they count.
2 - the only other one I can think of off the top of my head - and it's been a LONG time since I've seen it, so take this with however much salt you feel necessary - is early 50s low budg quickie I Was A Communist For the FBI (directed by Gordon Douglas, who coincidentally knocked off a couple of blaxploitation films in the 70s).  Not a great film by any means, and it has a very strong anti-communist message, but it should perhaps be better known than it is given that it features that sort of counter-intelligence stuff before it even became a thing, mainly because it was adapted from stories written by a guy who was a spy and worked undercover for the feds.

phantom_power

The Men Who Stare At Goats?

sevendaughters

seems like a missed opportunity for a film about a new wave icon who was involved in the radical Black Panthers to be done in such a conservative aesthetic. like, to me it seems to miss the point.