Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:31:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Laurence Fox - Another anti-woke grifter [split topic]

Started by jobotic, January 17, 2020, 04:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

For the last 30 years, I've avoided discussing politics with my family. The one time I broke this rule was about three weeks ago and it's caused the collapse of the weekly Zoom quiz.

Buelligan

I don't know why any of you bother.  Why do any of you bother?

Paul Calf

Buelligan

Don't.  Just tell them to their faces that they're unbearable shame-making racist cunts and you never wish to see them more.  Then leave and change all your locks.

jobotic

Fox silenced by the mainstream media once again, eh?

Blue Jam

He was whining about Facebook blocking Holocaust denial content and FREEZE PEACH the other day. No wonder Rebecca Front doesn't want to be his friend anymore.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 14, 2020, 11:27:49 AM
For the last 30 years, I've avoided discussing politics with my family. The one time I broke this rule was about three weeks ago and it's caused the collapse of the weekly Zoom quiz.

Tbf, putting that 'Who's this family's biggest racist?' question in week after week was never going end well.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on October 14, 2020, 11:07:25 AM
It's hard to argue with someone saying 'they're making me dislike black people' and so on, so I suppose he still has an audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbHuHjG8jyo

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Buelligan on October 14, 2020, 11:30:35 AM
I don't know why any of you bother.  Why do any of you bother?

I have naturally low blood pressure, plus I count getting incredibly angry as a form of exercise.

Brundle-Fly

I've talked my parents round a number of times over the years about stuff regarding certain issues but I accept there's a generation gap and the fact I've lived in the heart of London for over thirty-five years and they've lived in the heart of Sussex for over sixty years. I like to believe I've made them considerably more liberal than half their friends though. Occasionally, I've felt like 'Scouse Git' from Til' Death Us Do Part but I just don't see the point of shouting at my dad because he doesn't like seeing two people of the same sex snog on TV or castigating my mum for having trouble understanding Indian accents when she rings call centres. What would be the point? 

Buelligan

I suppose the point (for glass half-fullers) would be, that one day, you might look into their eyes and see something good, rather than feeling they're a pair of rather internally-ugly old cunts.  Like, you are sharing the universe with some people that are related to you and are positive influences in that universe.  That's the dream, I suppose. 

We all know it's pointless, will never happen and it's best just to humour them, abide them, like a pair of tiny stones in your shoes and breathe a sigh of relief, mixed with sorrow and regret for all that might have been, when those stones finally go.

Blue Jam

My mother used to enjoy shouting at the TV and arguing about politics and I just used to shut down when she started up, because I find all that stuff exhausting and tedious. If I sighed or got annoyed she'd smugly declare "You can't have a debate without getting emotionally involved!" as if that was a "victory". Anyway, she voted UKIP (admittedly when Alan Sked was still in charge), blamed The Bloody Immigrants for taking Are jobs (despite us living in an area with fuck-all immigration and her not having worked since 1971) and she believed homosexuality was caused by sexual abuse in childhood (and was blissfully unaware that her other daughter was a lesbian). It's just a waste of energy arguing with these people, it won't change anything.

That's how I feel about Looza Fox banging on about the freedom to deny the Holocaust. Not all arguments carry equal weight and some are just plain batshit, and I personally can't see any worth whatsoever in debating whether or not the Holocaust actually happened. You may as well debate with antivaxxers, 9/11 truthers and the whackjobs banging on about chemtrails and 5G causing Coronavirus.

bgmnts

Quote from: Buelligan on October 14, 2020, 02:47:19 PM
I suppose the point (for glass half-fullers) would be, that one day, you might look into their eyes and see something good, rather than feeling they're a pair of rather internally-ugly old cunts.  Like, you are sharing the universe with some people that are related to you and are positive influences in that universe.  That's the dream, I suppose. 

We all know it's pointless, will never happen and it's best just to humour them, abide them, like a pair of tiny stones in your shoes and breathe a sigh of relief, mixed with sorrow and regret for all that might have been, when those stones finally go.

Quote from: Marcus AureliusFrom Buelligan: To understand that people are pointless stones to be pulled out of your sandal.

Buelligan

Heheh.  That reminds me of explaining ghosts to a little boy I was looking after.  He was very frightened of ghosts and was about three or four.  I took him in my arms and said A little red ball!

See how my words give you the thought of a little red ball?  There it is, planted in your mind.  You can see it, turn it, watch it move but only in your mind's eye.  It's not outside.  That's what ghosts are, just ideas we conjure up in our own minds, they don't exist and have no power outside.  Do you understand?

Yes, he replied.  Ghosts are only little red balls, they can't hurt us.

JaDanketies

Alleged rightwingers want the State to FORCE private organisations to allow people to deny the holocaust on their platform. What happened to light-touch regulation, eh? I guess that principle goes out of the window when it treads on nazi toes.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: SpiderChrist on October 14, 2020, 01:59:46 PM
I have naturally low blood pressure, plus I count getting incredibly angry as a form of exercise.

Exorcise.

Quote from: Buelligan on October 14, 2020, 03:10:20 PM
Yes, he replied.  Ghosts are only little red balls.

Bouncing off a strut.

bgmnts

Quote from: Buelligan on October 14, 2020, 03:10:20 PM
Heheh.  That reminds me of explaining ghosts to a little boy I was looking after.  He was very frightened of ghosts and was about three or four.  I took him in my arms and said A little red ball!

See how my words give you the thought of a little red ball?  There it is, planted in your mind.  You can see it, turn it, watch it move but only in your mind's eye.  It's not outside.  That's what ghosts are, just ideas we conjure up in our own minds, they don't exist and have no power outside.  Do you understand?

Yes, he replied.  Ghosts are only little red balls, they can't hurt us.

That's actually quite profound.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Buelligan on October 14, 2020, 02:47:19 PM

If I had some sort of messiah complex, maybe.

Buelligan

I don't think it's messianic to search for righteousness in your kin.  Foolhardy is the word I'd plump for in my own life, optimistic, possibly, which is probably why I stopped.

Brundle-Fly

I'm not prepared to judge my parents so damningly though. They're not former brownshirts. Writing off anyone who doesn't toe the line exactly by the tenets you live your life by would be foolhardy to me.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 14, 2020, 02:52:09 PM
That's how I feel about Looza Fox banging on about the freedom to deny the Holocaust. Not all arguments carry equal weight and some are just plain batshit, and I personally can't see any worth whatsoever in debating whether or not the Holocaust actually happened. You may as well debate with antivaxxers, 9/11 truthers and the whackjobs banging on about chemtrails and 5G causing Coronavirus.

People do change, the problem is people often resort to a defensive mindset so the debate becomes less about whether something is true or not and more about am I going to let this person tell me I am wrong.  There rapidly becomes a psychological stake that is too troublesome to lose.

The problem with Lozza and the rest of his ilk isn't whether or not he can be debated out of his views (if they are even sincere) it's the inroads people like him are making into public discourse.

I'm not sure why there is always this assumption that debating people means having to see their views as equal, it's up to them to demonstrate that they are.  It would be much better if people engaged with people like fox but made this clear to him i.e. that he is talking bollocks, quite obvious bollocks that doesn't carry equal weight, what he has is an opinion, a shit one, that he is entitled too but is deluded if he thinks it holds any social good.

chveik

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on October 14, 2020, 04:13:19 PM
It would be much better if people engaged with people like fox but made this clear to him i.e. that he is talking bollocks, quite obvious bollocks that doesn't carry equal weight, what he has is an opinion, a shit one, that he is entitled too but is deluded if he thinks it holds any social good.

clearly the whole media landscape doesn't work that way (and never has).

Buelligan

Golly gosh, that thread's making me laugh like a fucking owl.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: chveik on October 14, 2020, 04:24:08 PM
clearly the whole media landscape doesn't work that way (and never has).

Do you ever think to illuminate these little barbs with any kind of explanation or is the point purely just lash out at the world?

The current media landscape is much more reliant of people getting offending by Lozza and feeding his clicks, views and bringing him to the attention of other people that he can convince to come onboard.........oh that and miserable people on forums being apathetic.

What you gonna do about it chevik? Just like Lozza, it's real easy to criticise much harder to actually do anything positive.

chveik

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on October 14, 2020, 04:44:24 PM
Do you ever think to illuminate these little barbs with any kind of explanation or is the point purely just lash out at the world?

The current media landscape is much more reliant of people getting offending by Lozza and feeding his clicks, views and bringing him to the attention of other people that he can convince to come onboard.........oh that and miserable people on forums being apathetic.

What you gonna do about it chevik? Just like Lozza, it's real easy to criticise much harder to actually do anything positive.

it was more of an observation really. people offended by him aren't the ones inviting him on radio or tv. and I bet they are offended for good reasons, ie hateful stuff being given a platform.

and in terms of positive action, debating fascists isn't my priority. and it's chveik, can't you read?

jobotic

Quote from: JaDanketies on October 14, 2020, 03:11:27 PM
Alleged rightwingers want the State to FORCE private organisations to allow people to deny the holocaust on their platform. What happened to light-touch regulation, eh? I guess that principle goes out of the window when it treads on nazi toes.

And the BBC had him on to say this?

Utter Shit

They lock you up in Twitter jail these days if you call Laurence Fox a cunt :(