Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:47:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Laurence Fox - Another anti-woke grifter [split topic]

Started by jobotic, January 17, 2020, 04:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

Quote from: phantom_power on January 20, 2020, 04:01:58 PM
He seems to be one of the many people (usually straight white men) who misunderstand what white privilege is. They see it as some sort of stigma or insult, as if it belittles their achievements or means they are racist. Or that they have never had any hardship. Obviously one of the key facets of privilege is that it blinds you to its effects to a degree, but anyone with some intelligence and empathy can see through it

on the LBC interview he wasn't (annoyingly) completely cut and dried and seemed to have some idea, i'm paraphrasing but he said in positions where there's one job and a man & woman are about equally talented then you should give the job to the woman because they get fewer chances. he denied systematic racism exists though and obviously has a gigantic spot about how one even gets to certain kinds of opportunity.

gilbertharding

It's only now I've watched the clip of him singing I understand what this is doing in the Comedy Chat forum.

Buelligan

Quote from: JumpAction on January 20, 2020, 04:08:45 PM
You know who he reminds me of? Jeremy from Peep Show except more obnoxious and right wing.

I bet he honks of candles too.

JumpAction

Quote from: Buelligan on January 20, 2020, 04:47:54 PM
I bet he honks of candles too.

Definitely!

The type of bloke to say "I'm just ridin' the vibes and if the woke don't like it, well they can go piss off for all I care!" while he blows smoke in your face and you cough up your lungs.

Bad Ambassador

Buelligan

I quite like Super Hans.  I don't like Laurence Fox one tiny bit.

Barry Admin

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 20, 2020, 04:43:25 PM
It's only now I've watched the clip of him singing I understand what this is doing in the Comedy Chat forum.

Haha good point, oops. I'll maybe move it over to GB in a bit.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: bgmnts on January 20, 2020, 04:12:54 PM
When you bring up things like good fortune and privilege, a LOT of people (not limited to white people to be fair) assume this means you dont understand their hard work. So thats why its seen as an insult to a lot of people.

Also possibly simply because - as I suggested earlier and was called either THICK or a LIAR - they've never had the concept explained to them properly, by someone who wasn't hectoring, finger-wagging, sneering or muddying waters from their own smug 'good guys in the culture war' perspective.

I've done a bit more research into this concept, and it does seem to rely on giving massive undue credence to an academic theory dreamt up by a single white American woman's studies scholar in the late 80s, apparently trying to atone for her own spectacularly privileged upbringing, so clearly this issue isn't totally cut and dried. But if we end up in a world where successful academics are accusing working class Brits of being innately privileged because they take exception to Meghan Markle being an obstreperous Hollywood bitch, that would be weird/funny/tragic/mental.

bgmnts

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on January 20, 2020, 06:02:42 PM
Also possibly simply because - as I suggested earlier and was called either THICK or a LIAR - they've never had the concept explained to them properly, by someone who wasn't hectoring, finger-wagging, sneering or muddying waters from their own smug 'good guys in the culture war' perspective.

I don't know, even for a thick cunt like me, it's a very simple concept to grasp, to be honest.

NoOffenceLynn

He has a new album out to promote.
That's why his agent booked him in.
On question time, a professor question his position on MM and general racism.

He rubbed his hands in his face and said it was to discuss boring racism

NoOffenceLynn

Quote from: Buelligan on January 20, 2020, 05:02:56 PM
I quite like Super Hans.  I don't like Laurence Fox one tiny bit.

Super Hans, is clear on the subject when asking Jez.
Jez: can you tell me as a mate, someone who knows me really well... is the bottom of me on fire?

sevendaughters

I've done a bit more research into this concept, and it does seem to rely on giving massive undue credence to an academic theory dreamt up by a single white American woman's studies scholar in the late 80s,

yes let's only give credence to theories thought up by many people all at the same time

Buelligan

... Meghan Markle being an obstreperous Hollywood bitch...

Don't call women bitches.  Bitch.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 20, 2020, 04:43:25 PM

When I heard it on Rhys Thomas' Year in Review I'd assumed he'd got someone in to sing bad on purpose.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Buelligan on January 20, 2020, 07:32:04 PM
Don't call women bitches.  Bitch.

Sorry to clarify I'm not calling women bitches generally, and I should probably add 'is perceived as being' in this case. Many women like Jess Phillips and Joan Collins identify as bitches, it's not wholly shameful.

Cuellar

But if we end up in a world where successful academics are accusing working class Brits of being innately privileged because they take exception to Meghan Markle being an obstreperous Hollywood bitch, that would be weird/funny/tragic/mental.

Why?

Famous Mortimer

I'd agree if this were my first day ever on the internet, but having witnessed hundreds of bad-faith actors pretending they don't know or don't understand incredibly basic concepts, derailing debate and trying as hard as possible to stop anyone else from understanding anything, I'm going to suggest that you're wrong. If I was going to go online and rail, at unbelievable length, against the concept of "white privilege" (or whatever the term of debate might be today) should I not be expected to learn what it is beforehand?

Buelligan

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on January 20, 2020, 08:25:20 PM
Sorry to clarify I'm not calling women bitches generally, and I should probably add 'is perceived as being' in this case. Many women like Jess Phillips and Joan Collins identify as bitches, it's not wholly shameful.

Yeah, great, don't do it, thanks.

BTW, what do you feel about an over 40, old Harrovian, who identifies as Lozza?

sevendaughters

Quote from: Buelligan on January 20, 2020, 09:43:41 PM
Yeah, great, don't do it, thanks.

BTW, what do you feel about an over 40, old Harrovian, who identifies as Lozza?

read in an interview it was Billie Piper's pet name for him RED ALERT RED ALERT

idunnosomename

jesus fuck. this is the most embarrassing man on earth.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Cuellar on January 20, 2020, 08:26:50 PM
Why?

Possibly, I should always add possibly, I never want to make absolute statements, I don't know any more than the rest of you, but possibly one reason is because the successful media academic and the Hollywood actress ex-duchess could be seen to be in greater positions of privilege in Britain than most of the white Britons being lectured about their privilege in this instance.

colacentral

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 20, 2020, 12:18:00 PM
I've always had a feeling that a lot of these people have ulterior motives for spewing the shit they do, as the naive part of my brain just doesn't want to believe that people could be that ignorant or nasty.

Of course, I'm always proved wrong and the likes of Hopkins, O'Neill etc do seem to actually just be really awful human beings who happen to have monetised their character flaws. But Fox seems to be the most transparent yet, there's nothing that feels legitimate about it. He's seen the money and attention that you can get from being anti-woke and has jumped in with zero subtlety whatsoever. Even Geoff Norcott is less blatant.

I just read his wiki page and it sounds like he's been an annoying obnoxious twat his whole life rather than some recent affectation.

I got a big laugh out of the song lyrics posted a few pages back. Whoever said he's essentially OC's Tim Heidecker is spot on. His wiki even says he aspires to play Bond. That he would think he can play that speaks to how arrogant he is.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 20, 2020, 09:21:46 PMpretending they don't know or don't understand incredibly basic concepts,

I can't account for the people you've had previous unpleasant experiences of, but I don't think this is an incredibly basic concept.

QuoteIf I was going to go online and rail, at unbelievable length, against the concept of "white privilege"

I hope you're not suggesting I've done that, I've said that many people are confused about what it is, and suggested why. I've seen what it's supposed to mean, and I have a few questions, but...

Quoteshould I not be expected to learn what it is beforehand?

In a debate with folk as clever as you lot, it's not unreasonable to expect people to define the terms they're using. The problem is this 'bad faith' issue. I'm not trying to deceive anyone, my mind is made up on very few issues, and these are very recent concepts, people over a certain age, outside certain areas, who don't use certain websites or read certain newspapers, have no reason to even know they exist.

Cuellar

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on January 20, 2020, 09:48:37 PM
Possibly, I should always add possibly, I never want to make absolute statements, I don't know any more than the rest of you, but possibly one reason is because the successful media academic and the Hollywood actress ex-duchess could be seen to be in greater positions of privilege in Britain than most of the white Britons being lectured about their privilege in this instance.

It would surely depend on why exactly they thought she was an 'obstreperous Hollywood bitch', and whether or not this criticism was coming from the British working class (where did that idea come from by the way? Its mostly been from the tabloid press which is run by wealthy white highly educated Brits).

Dewt

idunnosomename

so oberman is right wing now

i mean, unequivocally and publically

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on January 20, 2020, 10:04:17 PM
In a debate with folk as clever as you lot, it's not unreasonable to expect people to define the terms they're using. The problem is this 'bad faith' issue. I'm not trying to deceive anyone, my mind is made up on very few issues, and these are very recent concepts, people over a certain age, outside certain areas, who don't use certain websites or read certain newspapers, have no reason to even know they exist.
My father meets the criteria you've set out. His response to the treatment of Markle by the press and the subsequent attempts to play down or even justify that treatment aligns damn near perfectly with this cabal of ivory tower dwellers you've described, despite "white privilege" not being a term that's in his vocabulary. I'm confident that, if he encountered the term in the media, he'd catch on to what it means by the context in which it's used, rather than become defensive and hold forth about how he's always paid his way. Maybe you should try expecting more from people?