Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:19:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Laurence Fox - Another anti-woke grifter [split topic]

Started by jobotic, January 17, 2020, 04:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

I suppose that is a danger in itself, people taking nonsense off twitter and having it colour and affect them in the "real" world, but I imagine those people are in the minority

Happened to my dad, solidly middle-class guy, lifelong Labour voter, fell down an internet rabbit hole of culture war and IQ pseudoscience stuff and now thinks that Labour lost because of their excessive focus on identity politics and that Boris Johnson is an inspiring leader and that one-nation toryism is the way forward because it's pragmatic, unlike the divisive identity politics of the Labour party. That is a viewpoint that is 100% gleaned from YouTube, Twitter, and various websites like Quillette, Sp!ked and The Spectator. Goes on about trans people and self-id a lot, like how Ricky Gervais seems to have glommed onto that subject relatively recently.

The way that the press has ginned up this culture war/cultural grievance stuff since 2015 has driven no small amount of people into becoming constantly resentful, vindictive and aggrieved. Our lad who is the subject of this thread is among them, just an angry piece of shit, seeing enemies everywhere, totally buying into every spoonfed culture war talking point. What the leave campaign did in 2015 in deliberately inflaming the worst aspects of existing tensions so they could ride that chaos to victory, including getting someone killed of course, was an act that has reverberated down the years and will probably make this country unbearable for the foreseeable future. 

Dewt

It's exactly how the general population has been controlled in every bad period in history. Not only do we (as a whole, not us brilliant correct people) fall into that trap, but people with the power to shape our culture seem to naturally fall into it too. It's just humanity's default structure.

Cuellar

It's all these bloody boomers (and slightly younger) who don't know how the internet works.

JumpAction

This is the best thing to come out of this whole silly fiasco.

https://twitter.com/kevinstewartgsy/status/1219207641311928326?s=20

Some of the sub-Tweets are hilarious.

QuoteDid you cook this in the dishwasher?

Quoteeating leather with a butter knife to own the libs

Dewt

Really annoying for the tedious "British food is bad haha" takes on Twitter which is somehow the thing that manages to irritate me most on Twitter.

JumpAction

Quote from: Dewt on January 21, 2020, 05:04:20 PM
Really annoying for the tedious "British food is bad haha" takes on Twitter which is somehow the thing that manages to irritate me most on Twitter.

This isn't British food. This is exclusively "Kevin from Twitter who can't cook to save his fucking life" food.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: phantom_power on January 21, 2020, 06:45:07 AM
I think most people in real life are tolerant of others opinions though. Everyone has a friend who believes or thinks dumb or racist things but you see the other good bits in them and let it slide. Or if someone mis-speaks you give them a chance to correct themselves. It is only on Twitter and the wider internet discussion forums that this hardcore idpoll stuff happens. Hopefully at some point people will realise this and either stop being such dicks on Twitter or realise that it doesn't mean anything in the wider world and give it no shrift

True.

Buelligan

Is it OK to draw a veil over our friends' racist opinions because they always buy the first round or knit well?  Being honest, I'm not entirely sure it is.

phantom_power

Quote from: Buelligan on January 21, 2020, 07:38:02 PM
Is it OK to draw a veil over our friends' racist opinions because they always buy the first round or knit well?  Being honest, I'm not entirely sure it is.

Well I suppose it depends on how good their other qualities are and how racist their opinions are, from I hate black people through to I don't believe in positive discrimination. It's not so much drawing a veil as accepting that people have good and bad in them and some things are ingrained

Buelligan

Hmmm.  Not entirely convinced that understanding a thing makes it OKish.

phantom_power

Quote from: Buelligan on January 21, 2020, 07:57:04 PM
Hmmm.  Not entirely convinced that understanding a thing makes it OKish.

I didn't say it makes it OKish, just that in the real world you don't write someone off because they have the odd rum opinion

idunnosomename

is the yellow stuff on the knife from the pastry crust he's cut off that pressed pie

idunnosomename

i see Melanie "cited as an inspiration by largest mass-murderer by armed assault in history" Phillips has come out saying how cool this arrogant cunt is

god she is fucking frightening

Buelligan

She's really horrible, isn't she and I'm afraid I can't overlook it simply because she's named after a fruit.

Mister Six

Quote from: ajsmith2 on January 21, 2020, 09:25:28 AM
Looked at the comments section of the Daily Mail piece about his Sikh soldier outburst and it was interesting to see a decent bit of pushback from their readership regarding the inaccuracy of his stance on this, with a lot of grumbling along the lines of 'quit while you're ahead mate'. Reassures me a tiny bit that there's still a degree of commonly agreed upon objective facts amongst the factional sllngs and arrows of discourse of the day. To be less charitable, his mistake I guess for a lot of them was taking his 21st century beef with what he ignorantly assumes to be a bit of happy clappy rainbow racial representation and pushing it too far so it encroaches into undermining Britain's glorious history as a world-fucking colonial power.

The Sikhs also get held up by the white supremacist cunts as the "good" brown people because they were well 'ard warriors who defended His Maj, and not a bunch of dirty Muslamics.

So there might also be pushback from other right-wing bellends, basically.

Dewt

Shit Good Nose

Coincidentally watching The Servant, co-starring his dad.

dandoystevski

Jumblegraws

Melanie Phillips breath definitely smells of piss.

Buelligan

I think that's a definite.

People may be interested to know that Novara Media is doing one on this (not Phillips' piss-breath, piss-breather Fox) in about an hour and a half from now on Tysky Sour

idunnosomename

along with liam and rupert, lozza is doing a lot to shame the good name of perhaps the best animal

Buelligan

bgmnts

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 22, 2020, 07:55:42 PM
along with liam and rupert, lozza is doing a lot to shame the good name of perhaps the best animal

Samantha keeping the good name good though.

Thursday

Oh FFS Why do I keep seeing this cunt's name. Even muted the name on twitter so I could be sparred people doing their "hilarious dunks" on him.

I don't believe he exists, left wing people on twitter invented him so they could be angry at him.

The press seem to be propping him up, itching for a 'common sense man vs. liberal elites' story. I thought it would have all died down by now (have also muted name on twitter) but for some reason it continues to be a national story. This fucking country

The weirdest thing re the likes of Fox is that this all gives them the attention that they crave.  They seem to think what they're doing is cutting satire, and all it ever is is a childish 'don't tell me off for doing what I want' rant.  They don't even grasp the basic premise being to understand what you're sending up at least as well as the average person on the other side, otherwise it will never work - I mean, what's the target here?  Who the fuck is he even trying to wind-up or satirise?.  I doubt anyone has ever really been offended by a photograph of some carrots, a dog giving a Nazi salute, or a shit joke about religion.  They imagine that people are 'offended' - when really they're just annoyed that these fuckers get publicity.  It's witless, attention seeking crap - It's the online equivalent of those spoiled kids you see screaming until they're luminous red in a shop.  Most of us can watch a Manning or Chubby Brown stand-up performance and not be offended; we usually just think they're racist cunts.  A fucking pack of Waitrose carrots is hardly upping that ante. 

And it's not even as if being right wing means that you can't do satire.  It's rare that I watch South Park and don't laugh - but I don't agree with the sentiments behind the message in each episode.  Cunts like Fox just need a good ignoring, and whilst they won't go away, everyone's lives will be a fraction richer.