Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 02:00:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Laurence Fox - Another anti-woke grifter [split topic]

Started by jobotic, January 17, 2020, 04:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigfatheart

Quote from: Pink Gregory on January 17, 2020, 08:22:36 PM
I mean, Shakespeare is on most curriculums.  So yes, the pupils do learn about him.

He's literally mentioned by name in the English national curriculum as a writer that must be studied, and every school I've worked in has taught him to every year group to prepare them for the fact that he's a significant part of GCSE English. On top of that, this is still the situation:

QuoteThe direction on the syllabus content published by the department last year, and which exam boards must follow, specified: "Students should study a range of high-quality, intellectually challenging, and substantial whole texts in detail. These must include: at least one play by Shakespeare; at least one 19th-century novel; a selection of poetry since 1789, including representative Romantic poetry; and fiction or drama from the British Isles from 1914 onwards. All works should have been originally written in English."

The exam boards – and indeed individual schools – are free to add any extra books they see fit, but the new rules have left them very little room for any 20th-century writing from outside Britain.

In essence, not only do students still get taught English writers, but they get taught almost nothing else, so whoever wrote that godawful poem deserves a good fucking shoeing for not only coming up with a lie that can be disproved within ten seconds on Google, but a lie that is literally the exact opposite of the actual truth, a truth you'd think they'd be celebrating if education was something they actually cared about, rather than something to exploit when they want to pretend to be indignant about an imaginary scenario. The cunt.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Cuellar on January 17, 2020, 09:30:01 PM
Oh my god

Some cracking comments though I must say

Those comments made me hopeful. Hopeful that at least some of the people making them are accidentally murdered when the fascists take power.

idunnosomename

And i mean milton isnt on the curriculum afaik but if people moan about shakespeare being a bit tedious Paradise Lost is fuckin hard work. Rewarding yes, because it is literally awesome, but for an adult.

The person who wrote that doggerel has never read Milton or GBS im sure

Chriddof

Quote from: bigfatheart on January 17, 2020, 09:50:30 PM
In essence, not only do students still get taught English writers, but they get taught almost nothing else, so whoever wrote that godawful poem deserves a good fucking shoeing for not only coming up with a lie that can be disproved within ten seconds on Google, but a lie that is literally the exact opposite of the actual truth, a truth you'd think they'd be celebrating if education was something they actually cared about, rather than something to exploit when they want to pretend to be indignant about an imaginary scenario. The cunt.

To be right wing has always involved having to have a certain twisted outlook; nowadays it's basically celebrating Opposite Day all year round. The staff of The Daily Express must walk around wearing VR headsets all the time.

jobotic

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 17, 2020, 10:03:09 PM
And i mean milton isnt on the curriculum afaik but if people moan about shakespeare being a bit tedious Paradise Lost is fuckin hard work. Rewarding yes, because it is literally awesome, but for an adult.

The person who wrote that doggerel has never read Milton or GBS im sure

I'm only aware of that "poem" because a known racist bulb in the town I used to work in was wearing a t-shirt with it on on St George's Day years ago. Guarantee you he hasn't read anything other than biographies of gangsters and football hooligans.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: ajsmith2 on January 17, 2020, 06:44:16 PM
Fucking Ada. This is a new low in culture war artefactery. What pompous turgid toecheese wrenched from the stinkiest oubliette of Hell. Aren't they supposed to be the daring, outrageous ones? WHY would he make such a terrible song? Has music been debased to the point where even cultures supposed rebels and iconoclasts express themselves in the form of life-worsening whippet shit like this? Surely the culture of the righteous and daring is supposed to scare and challenge the liberal NPCs of the world like me, not bore them into a state of eternal nauseous inertia. That's not music, it's a thousand year long migraine.

Yeah, but it's rebellious if you do it while SMOKING.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: jobotic on January 17, 2020, 10:44:57 PM
Guarantee you he hasn't read anything other than biographies of gangsters and football hooligans.

Made me laugh, bravo.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 06, 2020, 06:20:35 PM
Too busy building things like identity databases and mass surveillance.

Too busy taking drugs and listening to good tunes.

hummingofevil

Can't be fucked reading the rest of this thread but was tickled today on Twitter by the concept of Schoedinger's White man who simultaneously denies racism exists and claims to be a victim of it. Thick fucking cunts. Just like that fucking smug as fuck cat.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Chriddof on January 17, 2020, 10:38:54 PM
To be right wing has always involved having to have a certain twisted outlook; nowadays it's basically celebrating Opposite Day all year round. The staff of The Daily Express must walk around wearing VR headsets all the time.

To be right-wing in the contemporay age means nothing more that fucking over everyone (including half the time oneself) whilst repeatedly claiming victory against an imaginary foe in an argument about a non-existant issue. #HappyHolidays. Or...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imLFlLvwsRI

There was some political theory I read years ago about how we have debate all wrong. You first establish an emotional hook and then build an argument to play to that emotion. Is that confirmation theory? Something like that. Tell dickheads what to think then tell them that others who disagree with them are LOOOOSSSEERRS so vote for me.

chveik

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 18, 2020, 12:13:46 AM
To be right-wing in the contemporay age means nothing more that fucking over everyone (including half the time oneself) whilst repeatedly claiming victory against an imaginary foe in an argument about a non-existant issue. #HappyHolidays. Or...

fixed

hummingofevil

Quote from: chveik on January 18, 2020, 12:16:17 AM
fixed

LOL. But seriously I don't agree. At least in the past there was some sort of ideology and some reality to the idea that there are other people disagree with your principles. Watch that Trump video. As if anyone washes their dishes ten times. If you do the only idiot is you and your electricity bill. If your dishwasher is that shit that you need to rinse your dishes just wash your dishes. It's literally a fucking madness. My right-wing as fuck Dad drives and electric car (well it's a tax deductable top of the range BMW racing car and has solar panels). They the type of dumb fucks who will claim the lesbians want us all to have solar panels and cheer for stopping it whilst having them themselves.

Twit 2

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 17, 2020, 07:10:36 PM
Anapestic tetrameter ("hack meter") doesnt work very well sung

I don't even think it's in that metre. It's that bad!

trabuch

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 18, 2020, 12:13:46 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imLFlLvwsRI

There was some political theory I read years ago about how we have debate all wrong. You first establish an emotional hook and then build an argument to play to that emotion. Is that confirmation theory? Something like that. Tell dickheads what to think then tell them that others who disagree with them are LOOOOSSSEERRS so vote for me.

This clip terrifies me. He is doing a stand up act. No one believes this (OK a very few do), but people know it's an act, they don't care. And it distracts the opposition, and ALL forms of media from the utter cuntery of his administration and what he is actually doing. I blame Ian Hislop. I really do - not as smart as he thinks he is.
There are some evil, and very clever people behind all this.

PS Rick Gervais

Mister Six

When I was a kid, youngsters pretended to be Communists to upset their parents. Now adults pretend to be fascists to upset their kids. Bizarre.

...or maybe not, if it's actually the same generation doing both.

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: bigfatheart on January 17, 2020, 09:50:30 PM
He's literally mentioned by name in the English national curriculum as a writer that must be studied, and every school I've worked in has taught him to every year group to prepare them for the fact that he's a significant part of GCSE English. On top of that, this is still the situation:

Not forgetting that the subject taught in school is called 'English', which the 'poet' seems to have.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I liked that line " Europe is miles away, over the sea". Yes, France is about 30 fucking  miles away from Dover, the big fucking European separated by an expanse of water country cunt. Yes, let's isolate ourselves as a miserable little island, that's a fucking brilliant idea.

phantom_power

Pretty sure kids learn about Hastings nowadays as well

imitationleather

Quote from: phantom_power on January 18, 2020, 11:55:16 AM
Pretty sure kids learn about Hastings nowadays as well

It's all stuff that everyone is all too aware of because each St. George's Day these people bang on non-stop about how we're not allowed to mention them anymore.

jobotic

My boy has to learn about Diwali, Passover and all those other Muslim festivals.

I'm going down that school to have a word, if I can find anyone that speaks English that is.

sevendaughters

I'd never even heard of Lawrence Fox a week ago and I've heard of him every single day since, as he realised he could make notoriety and a cult audience by getting on the anti-woke grift.

BritishHobo

Quote"I don't know how we ended up together," Fox said. "It was a very short relationship. We were walking down the road and she was talking about how good the Gillette advert was. I just looked at her and went, 'Bye. Sorry, I can't do this with you.'"

Imagine a prominent ESS JAY DOUBLE-U figure saying she dumped her boyfriend becauee he enioyed an advert with an anti-feminist message. She'd be mocked to fuck.

What a snowflake. ⁵

sevendaughters

cunt has an album of anti-woke Mumford shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0NrIEt8rrw

They have put something in the water
They seek a cure for the conversation
They stole a march on your indecision

And the first to fall is laughter
Just to quell the unoffended
They seek to murder your opinion

And the light has been turned down on the age of reason
Replaced by blinding fires that burn wild across the region
For the wrong to rule
The good must just stand idly by

Thursday

Quote from: sevendaughters on January 19, 2020, 02:11:16 PM
I'd never even heard of Lawrence Fox a week ago and I've heard of him every single day since, as he realised he could make notoriety and a cult audience by getting on the anti-woke grift.

It's weird isn't it. Sometimes when twitter is angry at some bigot I've never heard of, it turns out they have 50 million followers and I think "oh okay" then. But in this case I'm thinking 138k isn't really worth getting angry about. Barely even a celebrity.

Jumblegraws

A more optimistic way of looking at it might be that the stigma associated with that sort of shitheadedness might also be amplified?

kngen

Quote from: Thursday on January 19, 2020, 02:35:01 PM
It's weird isn't it. Sometimes when twitter is angry at some bigot I've never heard of, it turns out they have 50 million followers and I think "oh okay" then. But in this case I'm thinking 138k isn't really worth getting angry about. Barely even a celebrity.

He does seem to embody every noxious posh twat who think they're blowing people's minds with their petty, mediocre Middle England bigotry, so I can see why his impact has vastly outweighed his importance in the scheme of things. All media is essentially clickbait now, and he's very clickbaity.

Pink Gregory

RicoMNKN

Obvious mid-life crisis, innit?  When he talks about "woke women", he clearly just means young women who think he's a creep when he hits on them.