Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:27:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Laurence Fox - Another anti-woke grifter [split topic]

Started by jobotic, January 17, 2020, 04:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: keir on May 01, 2020, 01:33:49 AM
The assertion that "white privilege" is only understood as a concept in far-left academic circles is such Katy Hopkins bullshit. I'm neither far left nor academic and when I first heard of "white privilege" I found out what was meant by it and understood it easily and quickly, it wasn't hard.

It's not that you need a degree to understand it, clearly, just that as a way of thinking it is literally a product of far left academia. It was named and defined by far left academia. Non-academics will by now have noticed it being discussed over social media, Radio 4 and TV, but they may have questions and criticisms that they feel discouraged from voicing.

QuoteThe only reason to genuinely fail to understand what is meant by "white privilege" is lack of motivation.

The only way to understand what is meant by white privilege is by asking questions and challenging assertions. Does it mean in-group preference? How does Britain compare against other countries? Does it mean more people being encouraged by 'intelligent people' to feel divided and awkward about their skin colour, one of the least important and interesting things about a person?

QuoteWhat has always puzzled me about these people is, presumably they think they're right, so why don't they honestly fight their corner thus, why do they chose to fight so many of their battles against what a lot of them must know is a fictionalised enemy?

At least be self-aware enough to know this criticism does not only apply to the people you disagree with.

j_u_d_a_s

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on May 01, 2020, 01:52:33 AM
At least be self-aware enough to know this criticism does not only apply to the people you disagree with.

Like saying "far left academia" every other sentence?

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: j_u_d_a_s on May 01, 2020, 01:39:57 AM
Forgive me, I forgot the world revolves around you.

My experience seems to tally with general trends https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/right-wing-university-lecturers-free-speech-campus_uk_58b7dc63e4b0a8ded67a5c24

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on May 01, 2020, 01:46:35 AM
Did you even finish fucking school, what is this sentence fragment

I can help if you don't understand it, I was echoing the sentence structure of the message that I was replying to, including the grammatical errors, but I feel it is a complete sentence.

Quote from: j_u_d_a_s on May 01, 2020, 01:57:38 AM
Like saying "far left academia" every other sentence?

It is wholly appropriate in a discussion of white privilege to mention far left academia as often as possible. It's their tune we're dancing to.

j_u_d_a_s

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on May 01, 2020, 02:13:44 AM
My experience seems to tally with general trends

A report by the Adam Smith Institute, the think tank behind Thatcherism. Yes, I totally believe they're acting in good faith.

It is wholly appropriate in a discussion of white privilege to mention far left academia as often as possible. It's their tune we're dancing to.

In which, case you're a racist. Wholly appropriate to do so. Also, true.

j_u_d_a_s

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on May 01, 2020, 02:13:44 AM

I can help if you don't understand it, I was echoing the sentence structure of the message that I was replying to, including the grammatical errors, but I feel it is a complete sentence.

Also, genuine question, are you a robot trying to emulate human communication?

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: j_u_d_a_s on May 01, 2020, 02:19:44 AM
In which, case you're a racist. Wholly appropriate to do so. Also, true.

In which case, of course, that's all you've got, nice one. Questions ducked, bring out the dipshitted insults. Was this the tactic that served you well at DebSoc? Gold star for that one.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: j_u_d_a_s on May 01, 2020, 02:20:58 AM
Also, genuine question, are you a robot trying to emulate human communication?
Shhhhh shh-shh-shh. Just tune him out with a nice steady tone. boooooooooooooooooooooooo (picture a test card)

QDRPHNC

Might be best for all concerned to leave this here. I'm not anticipating any minds being changed.

Bronzy

Mister Six

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on May 01, 2020, 12:57:15 AM
!Why wouldn't this exist?

I don't know what you mean by this.

QuoteAccording to Ofcom, white representation onscreen matches the ethnic composition of the UK, around 87%, while black onscreen representation is over 6%, but black folk represent 3% of the UK population, so there are in a way twice as many opportunities for black actors. Which is great!

So a white person has the opportunity to try for 87 in 100 roles and a black person for 6 in 100. Thanks for backing up my point for me with stats.

QuoteAre there no places in Britain where, in day-to-day life, being a black or minority ethnic person of colour gives you a social advantage over your average British white bloke?

Yeah I covered this earlier with the intersectionality talk. Do try to keep up.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Mister Six on May 01, 2020, 03:53:32 AM
So white person has the opportunity to try for 87 in 100 roles and a black person for 6 in 100. Thanks for backing up my point for me with stats.

What I can't find are the stats that declare what percentage of working actors in the UK are black. I guess we can assume it's around 6%, at most. Is this the sort of injustice that the left should be getting diverted by?

Quote from: Mister Six on May 01, 2020, 03:53:32 AM
Yeah I covered this earlier with the intersectionality talk.

Not in much depth, or on quite the same subject, but as far as I can see, that's a yeah?

Mister Six

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on May 01, 2020, 04:10:46 AM
What I can't find are the stats that declare what percentage of working actors in the UK are black. I guess we can assume it's around 6%, at most. Is this the sort of injustice that the left should be getting diverted by?

It was an illustration of an advantage that white skin provides Fox. It's not an injustice diverting the left. You disingenuous twat.

QuoteYou don't know what I mean when I ask why it's a bad thing that there is British citizenship privilege in Britain?

You didn't ask about it being a bad thing, you wrote "!Why wouldn't this exist?", which is gibberish.

Anyway, I can't be arsed by this. You're clearly either deliberately not engaging with what's being said because you don't want to have to rethink your position, or because you're trolling, or because you're fucking thick. Whatever the reason, it's a waste of my time to continue.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Mister Six on May 01, 2020, 04:18:12 AM
It was an illustration of an advantage that white skin provides Fox. It's not an injustice diverting the left. You disingenuous twat.

Nepotism is more of a factor here I'd say, but he's not done much with any of these advantages, so he's not the best example. How many white actors get nowhere near TV, despite the advantage of their skin colour? Is it likely to be more or less than the number of black actors who don't get on TV?

QuoteYou didn't ask about it being a bad thing, you wrote "!Why wouldn't this exist?", which is gibberish.

Apologies, it sounded like "British citizenship privilege in the UK" was a concept that you were disapproving of. Glad to hear you're not that militant!

QuoteYou're clearly either deliberately not engaging with what's being said because you don't want to have to rethink your position, or because you're trolling, or because you're fucking thick. Whatever the reason, it's a waste of my time to continue.

I'm asking questions to clarify what's being said, because what's being said sounds to the unindoctrinated layman like a load of old shit, but these questions are being ignored as usual and we're back to insulting opponents or pretending they don't exist (how's that working out for the left?). I have no position as such, white privilege is a far left academic concept but that doesn't mean it's wrong, one day perhaps the questions will be resolved and we won't have to worry about key things like fair demographic representation of certain coloured skinned actors on BBC1, but until then there will be a lot more 'you are a cunt's and 'fuck this I'm not listening's.

idunnosomename

glad you stayed up till 10 to 5 arguing about this looks like you really sorted it all out

Cardenio I

Obviously I think racism exists and that being white in a country like the UK more often confers advantages than disadvantages when related to being of a minority ethnicity. But I refuse to use the two-word phrase that is used to denote this phenomenon because I'm sick of far left academics smearing dogshit on the working classes and bellowing "white privilege fuck" in their faces.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Mister Six on April 30, 2020, 09:00:04 PM
As someone who was white in China for five years, I can assure you that in many - possibly most - cases, it is a massive advantage. Socially and economically I benefitted hugely from being white in Beijing.

As someone who was white in Japan, albeit just for six months, I had it much better than anyone who was black. Or Korean for that matter.

Sure, I experienced some microaggressions- being stared at on the Metro, people complimenting my blue eyes and my ability to use chopsticks- but if being treated as a bit of a novelty is the worst racism I have experienced then I think I can consider myself pretty privileged.

The Crumb

Quote from: Cardenio I on May 01, 2020, 10:39:36 AM
Obviously I think racism exists and that being white in a country like the UK more often confers advantages than disadvantages when related to being of a minority ethnicity. But I refuse to use the two-word phrase that is used to denote this phenomenon because I'm sick of far left academics smearing dogshit on the working classes and bellowing "white privilege fuck" in their faces.

What would you call it then? Personally I haven't actually seen the phrase being used in the way you describe. I have seen a lot of right wing discourse saying the same thing you are though. Which fits into the strategy of fuelling grievances that a supposedly all powerful liberal cabal is working to crush the white working class. Meanwhile power rests with the right and has done for some time, and it's convenient for them to misdirect anger at how they have consistently worked to undermine conditions for anyone outside the upper class.

jobotic

QuoteThis is the culture we now reside in: we don't do thought or critical analysis, we do transient slogans and catchwords.

Beautiful. Look at all the right-wing "thought and analysis" in this thread.

You probably went to university and smoked dope for three years. Dur-hur-hur.

Wretched thread, but appropriate for the subject.

shh

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 01, 2020, 11:02:48 AM
Sure, I experienced some microaggressions-... people complimenting my blue eyes

Please tell me this is irony. I just can't believe a sensible person could think this.

On that basis, the Fox bloke is vindicated in feeling 'microaggressed' for his supposed 'deferential' treatment in Africa. The original QT debate seemed to be between two people playing victimisation top trumps.

pigamus

I think as soon as you use the term "white privilege" people are going to define you as the enemy. Explaining what it's actually supposed to mean is probably pointless.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: The Crumb on May 01, 2020, 11:12:39 AM
What would you call it then? Personally I haven't actually seen the phrase being used in the way you describe. I have seen a lot of right wing discourse saying the same thing you are though. Which fits into the strategy of fuelling grievances that a supposedly all powerful liberal cabal is working to crush the white working class. Meanwhile power rests with the right and has done for some time, and it's convenient for them to misdirect anger at how they have consistently worked to undermine conditions for anyone outside the upper class.
I think you may have missed the sarcastic tone in the last sentence of Cardenio's post.

Cardenio I

Indeed. Telling that it could be read as sincere though!

Chollis

or is it the black businessman, in his suit and tie?

There will never not be excuses, at first it's "I don't think that white privilege describes a real thing" then when it's outlined it's "even if it does describe a real thing the term itself is so off-putting that we might as well throw it out" so there will have to be a new term to describe this measurably real thing, and in six months or so that will become a culture war bugbear, and then in another six months another one, and so on and so on, because it's not really the term that is the problem, the problem is the obstinacy of the cultural conservative in not being able to admit that there can be any profound systemic infraction on individual agency that can't simply be put down to state overreach, or any problem that can only be solved through some kind of collective responsibility. That's it. Until you break that barrier, this will last absolutely forever, and no term that describes any systemic tendency will be received with anything other than an infantile screwing up of the face by committed culture warriors, and an indifferent shrug from most other normal people.

Blue Jam

Quote from: shh on May 01, 2020, 11:28:40 AM
Please tell me this is irony. I just can't believe a sensible person could think this.

I can't believe I'm replying to this, but yes, that's my point- if the worst prejudice I've ever experienced is people paying me compliments then I'm pretty privileged. People praising my ability to use chopsticks and speak some Japanese was a bit annoying, but still nowhere near as bad as, say "Ooooh, you're very well spoken for a black person".

My Korean friend I met working there had it a lot worse. There are a lot of Koreans in Japan but some people are still a bit hung up on that ol' war they had that one time.

TL:DR: It's complex. And intersectional.

keir

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on May 01, 2020, 04:49:21 AMbecause what's being said sounds to the unindoctrinatedindocrinated-by-Littlejohn/Hopkins/etc/etc layman like a load of old shit

fixed that for you

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on May 01, 2020, 01:44:07 AM
This is the culture we now reside in: we don't do thought or critical analysis, we do transient slogans and catchwords.
Bung us a Bob for Brexit whilst clapping for the NHS, cheers

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: Cardenio I on May 01, 2020, 10:39:36 AM
But I refuse to use the two-word phrase that is used to denote this phenomenon because I'm sick of far left academics smearing dogshit on the working classes and bellowing "white privilege fuck" in their faces.

I'm sick and tired of walking down the street to pub, every "far left" academic hiding in the bushes to ambush me and yell "white privilege" then get Soros Bucks for every time they throw dogshit at me afterwards

keir

I note that Laurissey's outlook on life is not necessarily representative of the Fox dynasty as a whole. I came across something the other day - remember when Cumberbatch did his "posh privileged people are the real victims, people sometimes give us a dirty look" bit? Freddie Fox said it was bollocks.