Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:40:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Laurence Fox - Another anti-woke grifter [split topic]

Started by jobotic, January 17, 2020, 04:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: lankyguy95 on January 20, 2020, 12:32:33 AM
I can't even be bothered to get in an argument.

Continue with your discussion about the Twitter account of the sidekick from Lewis. Sorry for shitting it up.

Sir John Thaw would be having none of this

phantom_power

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 19, 2020, 11:29:32 PM

dam this guy is edgy as fuck!

Is there anything he won't say?!

What a fucking dry, dull plate of food. I love steak and chips as much as the next culture warrior but it needs something else surely.

BlodwynPig

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 19, 2020, 11:42:03 PM
I see a few people have mentioned to him what potatoes are.

'Of course I know what a potatoes are!'

Barry Admin

Quote from: lankyguy95 on January 20, 2020, 12:32:33 AM
I can't even be bothered to get in an argument.

Continue with your discussion about the Twitter account of the sidekick from Lewis. Sorry for shitting it up.

Look mate, I get what your issue is, but I'm sort of using these threads to try and farm wider ranging discussions about comedy as well. And this ludicrous wank generated three pages as soon as he was mentioned, so there's enough interest there to merit a thread split.

I also want to keep an eye on this culture war shit, it really, really worries me, and it's the same cunts behind it all the time, pushing this divisive hateful crap with Koch Brothers money:

They're desperately trying to stop any kind of progressive ideology, more than that, they have helped redefine leftism as something akin to some kind of mental illness, or a joke, or as the real danger to society.

Clearly, Twitter is full of loons. The ""woke" stuff can and will be taken too far by performative bells on there, yes. But look at how many of these bastards like Fox are now ploughing away at this shit.

Riling up angry, disenfranchised white men, to help ensure they never stop to consider whether other people get it worse. It boils my fucking piss. These agitating pricks need to be called out, mocked, and stigmatised. They are the ones who need to become laughable stereotypes.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 20, 2020, 09:18:06 AM
Look mate, I get what your issue is, but I'm sort of using these threads to try and farm wider ranging discussions about comedy as well. And this ludicrous wank generated three pages as soon as he was mentioned, so there's enough interest there to merit a thread split.

I also want to keep an eye on this culture war shit, it really, really worries me, and it's the same cunts behind it all the time, pushing this divisive hateful crap with Koch Brothers money:

They're desperately trying to stop any kind of progressive ideology, more than that, they have helped redefine leftism as something akin to some kind of mental illness, or a joke, or as the real danger to society.

Clearly, Twitter is full of loons. The ""woke" stuff can and will be taken too far by performative bells on there, yes. But look at how many of these bastards like Fox are now ploughing away at this shit.

Riling up angry, disenfranchised white men, to help ensure they never stop to consider whether other people get it worse. It boils my fucking piss. These agitating pricks need to be called out, mocked, and stigmatised. They are the ones who need to become laughable stereotypes.

They were a mere decade ago. Sadly, the mockers were also cast from the same die.

Barry Admin

jobotic

Clever defence from Hodges here. What a powerhouse.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1218810297022132225

Oh look - an "he's only saying what sensible people think" in the comments!

JumpAction

I love the way Laurence pretends like him never working again is a big deal as if he doesn't come from riches to begin with.

peanutbutter

Quote from: RicoMNKN on January 19, 2020, 05:53:18 PM
Obvious mid-life crisis, innit?  When he talks about "woke women", he clearly just means young women who think he's a creep when he hits on them.
Seems that way to me. Divorce in 2016 from a far more successful person he probably felt above prior to their marriage, damn near fuck all going career wise in the aftermath.

Cuellar

gilbertharding

Barry Admin

Christ, his feed is absolutely jam-packed with those cunts - the whole anti-woke brigade. Julia Hartley-Brewer, Andrew Doyle and his alts, Brendan O'Neill, Toby Young...they're all there, cross-promoting all their hateful shit, while claiming to be the sole custodians of common sense.

Even Christina Hoff-Sommers is there - another good example of why I wish some of you would knock off using violent language as a catharsis. Gets presented as a genuine desire, and plays right into their grubby little culture war hands:

idunnosomename

"Woke" has now been entirely claimed by the anti-PC brigade. Well done lads

Utter Shit

I've always had a feeling that a lot of these people have ulterior motives for spewing the shit they do, as the naive part of my brain just doesn't want to believe that people could be that ignorant or nasty.

Of course, I'm always proved wrong and the likes of Hopkins, O'Neill etc do seem to actually just be really awful human beings who happen to have monetised their character flaws. But Fox seems to be the most transparent yet, there's nothing that feels legitimate about it. He's seen the money and attention that you can get from being anti-woke and has jumped in with zero subtlety whatsoever. Even Geoff Norcott is less blatant.

idunnosomename

I think you have to have something wrong with your empathy gland to even begin making a lifetime out of being a nasty condescending reactionary to all forms of progressive social policy

JumpAction

So what's the threshold a celebrity must cross before they have their opinions stripped from them? Obviously Laurence isn't big enough to cross the "Nobody cares what you think." even though he's clearly born into the same privilege they hated a week ago.

monkfromhavana

1965: I think homosexuality should be legalised" = YOU WOKE FUCK
1962: "I think black people should be able to eat in the same restaurants as white people" = YOU WOKE FUCK
1915: "I think women should get the vote" = YOU WOKE FUCK
1862: "I think slaves should be freed" = YOU WOKE FUCK
3 Billion years BC: "I think we should crawl out of the sea" = YOU WOKE FUCK

sevendaughters

I watched his appearance on LBC with JHB from this morning, "could this be the fightback against this?", asks the emblem of the wine-mum harridan as he nods in agreement. She compared this movement to MLK. He is jumped four-square behind this as a cultural moment for the white-right knights and his twitter follows have grown by about 20k in the last few days.

As for his sincerity, I've been reading a bunch of interviews and fluff pieces from years back, and there's always been this kind of sad edginess about him (expelled from public school!), moaned about snobs above him at Harrow and inverted snobbery from the middle class (""It was never from people who'd worked hard and had come from little drama groups in Salford," he says. "It would be girls from Putney and stuff like that. I didn't have any middle-class friends at drama school.")

Quite a psychologically interesting piece actually. Napoleon Complex, I reckon
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/role-play-laurence-fox-on-being-mr-billie-piper-6273502.html

Utter Shit

My first real exposure to Fox was on Celebrity Gogglebox last year, and he seemed like a wanker then. Admittedly more of a preening, opinionated wanker than the scumbag he has outed himself as over the past few days.

JumpAction

@Utter Shite

Same. First I saw him was on Googlebox with his cousin.

@sevendaughters

That was actually quite interesting to read. It's hard to pin exactly how he sees himself. He seems to think he's naturally talented and deserves all the praise in the world while also admitting he is entirely lazy.

Buelligan

Quote from: JumpAction on January 20, 2020, 12:48:03 PM
That was actually quite interesting to read. It's hard to pin exactly how he sees himself. He seems to think he's naturally talented and deserves all the praise in the world while also admitting he is entirely lazy.

Think of any other titty blonde men that went to Britain's most expensive public schools and then sit on their arses waiting to be crowned?

I blame the fucking English.  Yes, I do.  I'm not going to be racist and woke and pretend I don't know whose fault all of this is.  I blame those stockholmed English twats for licking too much privileged marie-antoinette arse.  Cut off your forelocks and stop it.  Stop it now before it's too late, that's my advice.

JumpAction

Quote from: Buelligan on January 20, 2020, 02:23:08 PM
Think of any other titty blonde men that went to Britain's most expensive public schools and then sit on their arses waiting to be crowned?

I blame the fucking English.  Yes, I do.  I'm not going to be racist and woke and pretend I don't know whose fault all of this is.  I blame those stockholmed English twats for licking too much privileged marie-antoinette arse.  Cut off your forelocks and stop it.  Stop it now before it's too late, that's my advice.

Hee hee

I almost feel bad, though. He obviously thinks he's really talented.

phantom_power

He seems to be one of the many people (usually straight white men) who misunderstand what white privilege is. They see it as some sort of stigma or insult, as if it belittles their achievements or means they are racist. Or that they have never had any hardship. Obviously one of the key facets of privilege is that it blinds you to its effects to a degree, but anyone with some intelligence and empathy can see through it

Jerzy Bondov

Hard not to watch this guy rolling his eyes and scoffing angrily on Question Time and just think 'HA HA TRIGGERED'

JumpAction

You know who he reminds me of? Jeremy from Peep Show except more obnoxious and right wing.

bgmnts

Quote from: phantom_power on January 20, 2020, 04:01:58 PM
He seems to be one of the many people (usually straight white men) who misunderstand what white privilege is. They see it as some sort of stigma or insult, as if it belittles their achievements or means they are racist. Or that they have never had any hardship. Obviously one of the key facets of privilege is that it blinds you to its effects to a degree, but anyone with some intelligence and empathy can see through it

I think for a lot of people it is. Most people who are successful are unable to fathom any reason for their success beyond their own talent and hard work.

When you bring up things like good fortune and privilege, a LOT of people (not limited to white people to be fair) assume this means you dont understand their hard work. So thats why its seen as an insult to a lot of people.