Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:01:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy you love but begrudgingly recognise is starting to date

Started by TheMonk, January 20, 2020, 09:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy147

Quote from: Jockice on January 22, 2020, 08:07:31 AM
Incidentally, I have a mixed-race second cousin in the south of England (black dad, white mum - she's my cousin)

If she's your first cousin, he's your first cousin once removed rather than your second cousin.

Dusty Substance

I've loved Derek And Clive ever since the 90s when somebody slipped me a cassette of the first album with a knowing "you'll LOVE this" wink. I couldn't believe some of the stuff I was hearing, quickly bought the other two albums and became a huge fan.   It remained one of my listened to audio comedies for about a decade, until the genesis of podcasts, and I would often recommend the albums to like-minded friends.

However, I'd be lost for words if one of my more woke friends were to catch me laughing listening to one of the albums and I wouldn't be able to explain why I find some of the imagery - Yes, the misogynist, racist, violent content - So funny. I know it's offensive and it was when I first listened to them, but boy do those albums make me howl with laughter.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Is Withnail and I still a favourite of students throughout the land? Being a period piece, maybe it was always seen as a bit risqué but, if woke culture is as widespread as your Jeremy Clarkson types moan about, I could imagine it falling out of favour. It certainly doesn't look good when Marwood, the ostensibly nice one, reacts homophobically after meeting Monty, or refers to Presuming Ed with a racial slur.

pigamus

Quote from: Gulftastic on January 22, 2020, 10:41:48 AM
The list of comedy films which feature guys spying on naked lasses is ridiculous. The reverse situation barely exists.

Yeah, was their broadband down or something?

Jockice

Quote from: Andy147 on January 22, 2020, 08:45:15 PM
If she's your first cousin, he's your first cousin once removed rather than your second cousin.

Is that so? You learn something every day. So what's a second cousin then? Because in my family (or at least the Scottish section. Both my parents were Scottish but for some reason I've never been able to quite work all her siblings - but not her - ended up living in Southampton) a first cousin's child has always been referred to as a second cousin. Philip, Simone, Adam, Hannah and Matthew will no doubt be thrilled when I tell them that they're more closely related to me than any of us thought.

As for the Southampton lot, I think I've only met one of them once and he was a baby then but he's well into his 20s now. I'm Facebook friends with most of them but I doubt if I'd recognise any if I woke up next to them. Which is a highly unlikely scenario.

Quote from: Jockice on January 23, 2020, 01:39:59 AM
So what's a second cousin then?

First cousin is a child of your parent's sibling; second cousin is a child of your grandparent's sibling.

Pink Gregory

Derek and Clive I reckon can be the exception because it's plainly two men actively trying to be as cruel and offensive as possible.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Pink Gregory on January 23, 2020, 07:32:15 AM
Derek and Clive I reckon can be the exception because it's plainly two men actively trying to be as cruel and offensive as possible.

Yes - it hasn't become offensive, due to changing attitudes or sensitivities. It was always preposterously offensive, and that was the joke.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Jockice on January 23, 2020, 01:39:59 AM
Is that so? You learn something every day. So what's a second cousin then? Because in my family (or at least the Scottish section. Both my parents were Scottish but for some reason I've never been able to quite work all her siblings - but not her - ended up living in Southampton) a first cousin's child has always been referred to as a second cousin. Philip, Simone, Adam, Hannah and Matthew will no doubt be thrilled when I tell them that they're more closely related to me than any of us thought.

As for the Southampton lot, I think I've only met one of them once and he was a baby then but he's well into his 20s now. I'm Facebook friends with most of them but I doubt if I'd recognise any if I woke up next to them. Which is a highly unlikely scenario.
For the removals, find the difference in the Gr's of the first common ancestor beyond parenthood. For example, if you and your cousin's closest common ancestor is great-great-grandmother to you but grandmother to your cousin, that's
3 gr's - 1 gr = 2 gr's, so you're cousins twice removed. For the degree of cousinship, just count the Gr's associated with the cousin with the closer relationship to the common ancestor. So in the above case, the ancestor is your cousin's grandmother; one gr = first cousins. So if you put them together, in this example you'd be first cousins twice removed.

A second cousin is if the closest common ancestor between either cousin is a great-grandparent (2 gr's), with neither cousin having a more proximate relationship than that. Your second cousin zero times removed would therefore be the child of one of your parent's cousins.

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on January 23, 2020, 05:57:33 AM
First cousin is a child of your parent's sibling; second cousin is a child of your grandparent's sibling.
That would be first cousins once removed, as the closest common ancestor beyond parenthood would be the cousin's grandparent, i.e. your great- grandparent. Using the system I described above, 2 gr's - 1 gr = 1 gr for once removed. The ancestor is the cousins grandparent, therefore 1 gr for first cousins (once removed).

Shit Good Nose

I'll ask the question that's on everyone's lips - can we fuck our cousins?

Jumblegraws

By the broadest definition of the word, we have an imperative to do so if we want the human race to survive. Plus, they're so attractive

Jockice

Blimey! Thanks for all that. It's relatively useful. See what I did there eh?

On the subject of Derek And Clive, I first heard that in my mid teens when an elder family member played me a cassette of it, building it up as the most outrageous shocking thing ever, something I should never even inform my parents I had been allowed to hear. I thought it was shit. But I have a blind spot for Peter Cook anyway. I just don't find him particularly funny considering he's such a comedy hero. Not totally unfunny (that would be Barry Humphries) but very overrated, from what I've heard of him anyway. I am a heretic.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Jumblegraws on January 23, 2020, 10:52:11 AM
By the broadest definition of the word, we have an imperative to do so if we want the human race to survive. Plus, they're so attractive

Unfortunately in my family me and my sister are the bridge trolls who got the short swarthy doughy Welsh gene.  All of our cousins are beautiful people, so they won't waste any time looking at us.  Bah.

EOLAN

Wouldn't the stage at which Derek and Clive becomes dated; be when it finally becomes totally inoffensive and twee.

Cuellar

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 23, 2020, 10:39:11 AM

Can we? Yes

Should we? Yes

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Jockice on January 23, 2020, 11:03:03 AM
On the subject of Derek And Clive, I first heard that in my mid teens when an elder family member played me a cassette of it, building it up as the most outrageous shocking thing ever, something I should never even inform my parents I had been allowed to hear. I thought it was shit. But I have a blind spot for Peter Cook anyway. I just don't find him particularly funny considering he's such a comedy hero. Not totally unfunny (that would be Barry Humphries) but very overrated, from what I've heard of him anyway. I am a heretic.

Subjective innit - I absolutely loathe Kate McKinnon, and don't find Maria Bamford the least bit amusing, but most cunts on here love both of them and think they're the best things since sliced gammon.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Jockice on January 23, 2020, 11:03:03 AM
Blimey! Thanks for all that. It's relatively useful. See what I did there eh?
Very nice.

It gets even more complicated if there's discrepancies in the line of parenthood from the common ancestor, for example if you were to have the same great-grandmother but not the same great-grandfather. Then you have to start introducing fractions, half-second cousins and the like.

Jockice

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 23, 2020, 11:08:35 AM
Subjective innit - I absolutely loathe Kate McKinnon, and don't find Maria Bamford the least bit amusing, but most cunts on here love both of them and think they're the best things since sliced gammon.

Very much so. I don't find Philomena Cunk or Karl Pilkington remotely amusing ether. It's a funny thing humour.

Jockice

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 23, 2020, 10:39:11 AM

Yeah, you can fuck my cousins whenever you want.

alan nagsworth

I wonder if Graham Linehan's ever seen the "Bend Her" episode of Futurama?

thenoise

Quote from: EOLAN on January 23, 2020, 11:07:40 AM
Wouldn't the stage at which Derek and Clive becomes dated; be when it finally becomes totally inoffensive and twee.

Well the swearing is less offensive nowadays, the racism and misogyny more so. I guess at the time it was the other way round? Via a period in the 90s where the racism was beyond the pale but sexism was weyhey lads. Perhaps.

Anyway, reckon they'll always be something in there to offend just about everyone for a good while yet.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 23, 2020, 09:29:51 AM
Yes - it hasn't become offensive, due to changing attitudes or sensitivities. It was always preposterously offensive, and that was the joke.

That is, of course, very true.  I'd still have a much harder time justifying it to certain friends in 2020 than I would have done in 2002.

chveik

I'd probably sever ties with someone that doesn't find Derek & Clive hilarious.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Father Ted in that the cultural context for the show is almost gone. It was so transgressive when it came out, especially in Ireland. 25 years later churches are quarter full if that, mostly because we all know What the Catholic Church Did. It's hard to know how funny a kid who barely goes to Mass or maybe isn't even baptised would find it now. It also doesn't help that Graham Linehan lost his mind and spends his time bashing trans women on Twitter in the delusional belief that his lesbian friends might let him watch.

Not sure if this counts but there's an innocence to 'Allo 'Allo! that you could never recreate because we all know too much now. It's hard not to think that in real life Lt Gruber would've been in a camp with a pink triangle on his arm, or that the saucy waitresses would've been publicly shamed and ostracised after the war for sleeping with all those soldiers.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: chveik on January 23, 2020, 10:03:16 PM
I'd probably sever ties with someone that doesn't find Derek & Clive hilarious.

We can't be friends any more :'-(

( "Joan Crawford " aside, the majority of Derek and Clive's stuff was unfunny, foul mouthed rubbish. The film version of "Get The Horn" is something of a career nadir for both)

gilbertharding

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on January 24, 2020, 01:16:16 PM
Father Ted in that the cultural context for the show is almost gone. It was so transgressive when it came out, especially in Ireland. 25 years later churches are quarter full if that, mostly because we all know What the Catholic Church Did. It's hard to know how funny a kid who barely goes to Mass or maybe isn't even baptised would find it now.

I don't know about that. I've never been to Ireland, and everything I know about the Catholic Church was gleaned from its depiction in the sitcom Bread, the Dave Allen shows, and the novels of Graham Greene... so I never realised that Father Ted *was* transgressive.

If I no longer find it funny it's probably because of over-familiarity. I prefer to imagine Athur Mathews did all the best bits anyway (and because he's not on twitter, no-one knows what he thinks about anything).

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on January 24, 2020, 01:16:16 PMNot sure if this counts but there's an innocence to 'Allo 'Allo! that you could never recreate because we all know too much now. It's hard not to think that in real life Lt Gruber would've been in a camp with a pink triangle on his arm, or that the saucy waitresses would've been publicly shamed and ostracised after the war for sleeping with all those soldiers.

That would have been known then as well though, unless you mean that as a kid in the 80s you wouldn't have been aware of any of that.  Who Dares Wins even did a sketch about what a realistic 'Allo 'Allo would have been like, along those lines.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Alternative Carpark on January 24, 2020, 02:50:29 PM
That would have been known then as well though, unless you mean that as a kid in the 80s you wouldn't have been aware of any of that.  Who Dares Wins even did a sketch about what a realistic 'Allo 'Allo would have been like, along those lines.

Oh yeah - I am sure I remember seeing some of the last series of Secret Army as a nine year old (apparently). There were some very dramatic scenes where the local waitresses had their heads shaved in the public square.

Allo Allo started only a few years after that.