Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:00:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Q: This quiz doesn't follow through on its basic premise

Started by Jerzy Bondov, January 20, 2020, 08:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

A: What is Jeopardy!?

Alright Jeopardy! is the quiz show where you are given an answer and must provide the question. Isn't it? But whenever I've seen clips or mentions (never actually watched it), it's always stuff like this:

- This US President took office in 1993 and is famous for getting a good nosh
And you have to say "Who is Bill Clinton?" as your answer.

But that's not how a quiz question goes is it? If someone asked "Who is Bill Clinton?" you wouldn't answer like that. It doesn't work. Doesn't make sense.

And so, after fifty six years, I must announce that Jeopardy! has been cancelled, by me, and I don't want to speak of it again.

machotrouts

"this crisp can be found in a big tube" "pringles" "nooooo say it the stupid fucking JEOPARDY way" "what is pringles" "correct, because the answer to what is pringles is, this crisp can be found in a big tube"

Infuriates me that America puts up with this shit. Cancel it before Alex Trebek even dies

BlodwynPig

This forum user is a known paed

Oh yes, why's that then

DOUBLE JEOPARDY

the

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 20, 2020, 08:13:09 PMBut that's not how a quiz question goes is it? If someone asked "Who is Bill Clinton?" you wouldn't answer like that. It doesn't work. Doesn't make sense.

And so, after fifty six years, I must announce that Jeopardy! has been cancelled, by me, and I don't want to speak of it again.

Yeah, it's always been a bit of a gimmick though hasn't it. It's like having to say 'Simon says' before the answer.

My entire experience of Jeopardy! is based on the ITV version from the early 90s, stuck on in the morning 9:25 slot. It remember it feeling strangely empty and pointless (I suppose without big money there's not much actual jeopardy). By far the best things about it were the set and the logo.

touchingcloth

Quote from: the on January 20, 2020, 08:47:14 PM
Yeah, it's always been a bit of a gimmick though hasn't it. It's like having to say 'Simon says' before the answer.

I've never seen it except in clips and parodies, but is that actually part of the rules? If you don't answer in the form of a question, do you not score any points or do they just say "...I assume you meant to say 'what was the Holocaust' - five points" and move on?

mjwilson

Nah you're fucked.

How come we've never had a UK version?

touchingcloth

For the same reasons the US has never had a version of Golden Balls with Jasper Carrott, I'd imagine. Too shit.

QDRPHNC

Fuck off. Jeopardy is great and Alex Trebek is a cool hard bastard.

the

Quote from: the on January 20, 2020, 08:47:14 PMYeah, it's always been a bit of a gimmick though hasn't it. It's like having to say 'Simon says' before the answer.

Ah, I've just seen this:

Quote from: http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Jeopardy%21Mitch Nelson observes:

It might be interesting to note why Jeopardy is the way it is: It was the first quiz show after the 1950s US quiz show scandals where contestants were secretly given answers to the questions. So NBC created a big sensation with mysterious promos revealing that a new game show would again be giving contestants the answers to the questions. It was a deviously clever idea at the time, even if it seems like an unnecessary gimmick now.

Ferris

Genuinely never realized that the gimmick was that the contestants are "asking the question". Always just thought they phrased it like that because they're mad bastards or something.

Malcy

It's always bugged me a bit as well. All I know of it is the theme tune and the cracking versions SNL used to do.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=-uEa9C6ucO4

Used to download them in horrendous quality .mpg files back in the day.

touchingcloth

buttgammon

Contestant: I'll take Cookd and Bombd for $400.

Trebek: This post has erroneously been made several times in this thread.

Contestant (so eagerly you'd swear they were about to shit themselves): What is 'there was no British version of Jeopardy'?

Trebek: And you're out of the hole!

Jerzy Bondov

Here's Jeopardy if it was done properly:

Trebek: 1908

Contestant: In what year was an extra large bath installed in the White House because the president was so big and fat?

Trebek: Correct

My understanding of Jeopardy is that the majority of questions are about US presidents

batwings

The French version was hosted by actor Gerard Jeopardy.

petril

the

Seriously, that logo is fucking mint though

And having the logo constructed all big on the set so it lights up was a masterstroke of design.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I helped out with putting on a quiz last year. The theme/gimmick of it was that all the rounds were taken from telly quiz shows - e.g. Only Connect, a few others and Jeopardy (despite there never having been a British version). While we were writing the questions, I said that the Jeopardy format made no sense and that our contestants wouldn't get it. Needles to say, I was correct and none of the teams bothered giving the answer in the form of an illogical question.

DrGreggles

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

idunnosomename

Quote from: Dewt on January 20, 2020, 08:14:37 PM
And everybody else https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/13/church-of-the-nativity-jeopardy-israel-palestine
they changed her score after the ad break though so i guess um yeah whatever

anyway this show is as mysterious to me as 3 2 1 *does the hand thing*

DrGreggles

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 21, 2020, 02:25:17 PM

anyway this show is as mysterious to me as 3 2 1 *does the hand thing*

Pokey bum wank?

Dewt

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 21, 2020, 02:25:17 PM
But it was some bullshit like just giving her back the points lost for giving a wrong answer

Couldn't bring themselves to say her answer was correct.

dr_christian_troy

I've been hosting pub quizzes for years, and at one point the landlord at one of my regular gigs decided to bring in a company-sanctioned quiz for me to host. There was a section where everyone had to stand and then I ask questions and then some of them sit down and others don't or some bollocks. Try telling that to a regular with one leg.

The landlord had read it all wrong and instead of getting a packet of Maltesers aside as a suggested prize, he put a few Maltesers in paper cups on each table and was under the assumption that during the multiple choice round, the players were meant to put a single Malteser on the answer they thought was correct. How would that even work? Fucking idiot.

It lasted one week - I think he realised it was a failure when one of the regulars went up to the bar and told him it was "fucking shit". He wasn't even playing.

Jerzy Bondov

Here's what UK Jeopardy would have been like if it had happened, which it didn't:

Contestant: I'll take 'US Presidents' for 100 please Jeremy.
Someone named Jeremy: This President was rebuked by the then Prime Minister during a press conference on a state visit to the UK
Contestant: 'Who is Billy Bob Thornton in Love Actually'
Jeremy: Yes

Blumf

Alberon

It's an awkwardly cludgy format. The explanation on why that came about makes sense, but it's still awful to watch. Still, dire as it is I'm surprised there's never been a british version.