Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:15:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Three Colours, and Kieslowski

Started by Keebleman, January 21, 2020, 03:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 31, 2020, 10:12:37 AM
His early films like Blind Chance and Dekalog had a brilliantly gritty quality, they really felt like you were in a stinking communist-era Polish tower block surrounded by desperate, broken, morally compromised people trying to dig out a small space in which they could live authentic lives. Then he moved to France and made much more high-toned, pretty stuff predominantly about very elegant French upper-middle-class people in nice surroundings (Veronique, the Three Colours); the moral issues are much more delicate and spiritual and even though the characters are freer, there's less at stake than the doom of an entire country and communist system. While the latter films certainly have a lot of merit, they are very different, like someone turned from Ken Loach into David Lean, and for me it's the early ones that are more interesting and which I can relate to more.
White's about a Polish emigre whose life sucks and he gets smuggled back to Poland. While it does also have Julie Delpy in satin sheets in it, I'm not sure "very elegant French upper-middle-class people in nice surroundings" really describes it.

Thursday

It's about a creepy twat who decides to trick his wife into going to prison because she laughed at his broken willy.

buttgammon

Quote from: Thursday on January 31, 2020, 10:57:26 PM
It's about a creepy twat who decides to trick his wife into going to prison because she laughed at his broken willy.

This is actually quite a good summary - it's quite funny, despite the crushing grimness that drives him. I think I mentioned this on the previous page, but the last scene with Julie Delpy looking out of the window like a princess in a tower is extraordinary. It's still the weakest of the three films, but I'm warming to it over time.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah, it's horrible but it's still good.

SteK

I'm still convinced me and Juliette Binoche are going to be a couple. 'Tis written.

Watch this space.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: SteK on February 01, 2020, 09:59:47 PM
I'm still convinced me and Juliette Binoche are going to be a couple. 'Tis written.

Watch this space.

Brexit means brexit!

Not allowed.

SteK

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 01, 2020, 10:05:12 PM
Brexit means brexit!

Not allowed.

I've eaten a Frog's Leg, I'm already half-French.

Fucking horrible BTW, like slimy chicken