Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:24:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Frightened Rabbit - death and suicide.

Started by SteK, January 21, 2020, 05:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteK

Fucking loved that band and Scott Hutchison, sadly missed.

Since he killed himself I can't listen to them without crying, it's it's been going on for what seems ages.

Why did he do it? I've been clinically depressed for most of my adult life (and my 25 yo son showing same signs) but we both fear the same with our illness, we fear death and will fight to stay alive even though life dismays us.

Just got a 7k tax bill so in a mood!

Deyv

Loved Frightened Rabbit and while I still do, ever since Scott died I listen to their albums and I feel a dark cloud forming in my mind, I feel a lot of colour going out of the world. Well, that was the case for a while anyway. I'll always feel a bit heartbroken when I think of him but I can find some release in Swim Until You Can't See Land and the entirety of Midnight Organ Fight, though it does take effort to get through it without breaking down a bit. I can't listen to Die Like a Rich Boy at all yet.

I'm sorry you're going through this and I'm sorry that I don't have any answers, and it's not helpful that I'm going through it too, but I had to reply to this, Frightened Rabbit's albums mean too much to me.

SteK

Quote from: Deyv on January 21, 2020, 05:21:20 PM
Loved Frightened Rabbit and while I still do, ever since Scott died I listen to their albums and I feel a dark cloud forming in my mind, I feel a lot of colour going out of the world. Well, that was the case for a while anyway. I'll always feel a bit heartbroken when I think of him but I can find some release in Swim Until You Can't See Land and the entirety of Midnight Organ Fight, though it does take effort to get through it without breaking down a bit. I can't listen to Die Like a Rich Boy at all yet.

I'm sorry you're going through this and I'm sorry that I don't have any answers, and it's not helpful that I'm going through it too, but I had to reply to this, Frightened Rabbit's albums mean too much to me.

And not only that, the songs are fantastic, The Midnight Organ Fight being my fave, esp as a guitarist, Fast Blood, epic chords, ringing and suspended 4th's, dunno how he played and sung at the same time with that chord structure, and Poke, and Keep Yourself Warm, guitaring genius, not flashy, the structure....

AzureSky

Pedestrian Verse was the first album I heard when it came out and I still love blasting it out now. I heard Scott on a BBC6 radio show talking about each song before and the way he was talking really got my attention. I find Mastersystem's Dance Music harder to listen to, probably because I bought it after his death, particularly Bird Is Bored Of Flying https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=egLzNLxvQtg

purlieu

Quote from: Deyv on January 21, 2020, 05:21:20 PM
Loved Frightened Rabbit and while I still do, ever since Scott died I listen to their albums and I feel a dark cloud forming in my mind, I feel a lot of colour going out of the world.
"What's the blues, when you've got the greys?"

The guy could write cuttingly accurate yet blackly hilarious observations about being depressed. Opening the first album with a line like that, which dismisses any romanticism around depression and gets straight to the heart of the numbness and apathy that so frequently rears its head as the main state of mind. Even before his suicide I could only listen to their music in specific circumstances for genuine fear that the accuracy of his words would trigger the same feelings in me.

While not the biggest fan - I always felt the later albums lacked the raw intensity of Sing the Greys - it was absolutely crushing watching the information about his suicide unfold over social media. Seeing anyone bravely keep fighting through this shit to only lose the battle is always heartbreaking, but when it's someone you feel some connection with - via the music - and discovering it all through public just made it even worse.

'Yawns', 'Square 9', 'Snake' and 'The Modern Leper' are particular favourites. I've been meaning to revisit some of the later albums, maybe I should do that soon.

amoral

Loved Midnight Organ Fight and somehow didn't know he'd died. I also live with depression and suicidal thoughts pretty much all the time. Don't have any answers, but you're certainly not alone.