Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:59:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This Country Series 3

Started by Malcy, January 21, 2020, 08:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Bit silly that. I thought it came across as a bit zany when I saw the trailer and Kurtan's disclosure about the documentary was the punchline really.

poodlefaker

I like this show but can't really see the point of the mockumentary framework, which feels pretty out of date and doesn't add much. I suspect it's just become a convention that viewers accept so it makes it easier to get stuff commissioned and made - the writers want to do a sitcom without a laughter track, the BBC says make it a mockumentary so it doesn't confuse people.

magval

The format is crucial. I agree about there being no need for the intertitles with the statistics, but the fact that the characters are being interviewed directly to camera allows for format-specific material that couldn't exist otherwise.

Tony Tony Tony

bgmnts

Latecomer to this but Kerry may be one of my favourite comedy characters of all time.

Also I genuinely think this may be more well observed than The Office. The little things like Kurtan sat on the settee with his coat collar over his mouth, his arms folded and his leg shaking when Kerry is shout to her mum. How often do you see that?

Thosworth

I think the vicar stop / Mandy chat / car escape / vicar return was one shot, which was quite impressive.

Whether or not it was, in my mind it was a homage to the Children Of Men long shot in the car, which makes it even funnier.

(Just rewatched it - there's a couple of cuts. Bum.)

Bazooka

Quote from: magval on February 25, 2020, 01:40:13 PM
The format is crucial. I agree about there being no need for the intertitles with the statistics, but the fact that the characters are being interviewed directly to camera allows for format-specific material that couldn't exist otherwise.

I agree, and it's subtle enough that it doesn't detract.

That was superb. A huge improvement on anything from the second series. So many wonderful moments, but Kerry's face(s) while the vicar talked about his dad topped it for me.

God I hope this series stays small-scale and doesn't introduce anything like a plot.

ersatz99

Big guffaw at the vicar's concern that Kerry had learned from Mandy that Jesus was massively sarcastic.   

chveik

that was great.

"I need you around to make me look good!"

wooders1978

I liked lens lockup - what started in season 2 as "a tea towels alright" when discussing his hoarding to a garage filled to the brim with god knows what this season was pretty well done

weaseldust

Quote from: bgmnts on February 25, 2020, 02:35:10 PM
Latecomer to this but Kerry may be one of my favourite comedy characters of all time.

same here, i can't express how much i love her character

"...he just took the piss out your jacket, right?"

Pink Gregory

"Vicar!  There's no bog roll!"

"Can it wait Len?"

"No."

Len is brilliant isn't he. His every line delivery is perfect.

Rewatched the Steam Fair episode last night and "I never done it with no fox" is followed by the best little look away/look back to camera I can recall having seen. So subtle.

Also when he's arguing with Arthur because Kerry and Kurtan have swapped their bins around, and Len escalates it by picking up a brick. Kerry and Kurtan run in to break it up and then over the title card you just hear Arthur bellow at them "Do you want a brickin' and all?!" Makes me laugh every time.

holyzombiejesus

What did Len say when he took his oxygen mask off in the ambulance?

Blue Jam

My favourite Len line is probably in the very first episode, where the vicar asks him to call the fire brigade and he grumbles "Let someone else do it".

I also love his description of Kerry: "She's lazy, she's rude, she's nasty, she stinks. I see a lot of myself in her really."

Great character. I really hoped he hadn't died in the latest episode and was relieved to see him alive and well and still as grumpy as ever in the ambulance.

Puce Moment

This was one of my favourite episodes - the whole conceit of the driving lesson could have made this a bit gimmicky in someone else's hands.

I am really looking forward to the Vicar character arc. I suspect he'll be having a freakout by the end of the series, but it was those two actually giving him some really constructive advice (probably accidentally) that made me warm to the episode.

Big Mandy's scene was, as I expected, the standout moment.

Blue Jam

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Pink Gregory on February 26, 2020, 12:13:15 PM
"Vicar!  There's no bog roll!"

"Can it wait Len?"

"No."

Then it was topped with the addition of "I'm on the brink of disaster here"

neveragain

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 26, 2020, 12:22:36 PM
What did Len say when he took his oxygen mask off in the ambulance?

"Get... stuffed."

holyzombiejesus

That dump gang Facebook page is so shit.

Blue Jam

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 26, 2020, 05:27:00 PM
That dump gang Facebook page is so shit.

FUCK OFF, I love that group! :) They even had a meetup at the Northleach Steam Fair and I so would have gone if I hadn't been at the wrong end of the country. Still need to get one of those numbered Dump Gang membership badges from Sarah Badger tho.

Daisy and Charlie's parents are members, as was Michael Sleggs.

Blue Jam

"Clunk, click...

...suck my dick..."

chveik

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 26, 2020, 10:20:15 PM
"Clunk, click...

...suck my dick..."

and that half smug/half panicky look she does after

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 26, 2020, 05:33:54 PM
FUCK OFF, I love that group! :) They even had a meetup at the Northleach Steam Fair and I so would have gone if I hadn't been at the wrong end of the country. Still need to get one of those numbered Dump Gang membership badges from Sarah Badger tho.

Daisy and Charlie's parents are members, as was Michael Sleggs.

Ach, it's awful. Was looking at it last night and it was just a load of people reciting catchphrases or posting photos of Brassed Off and Frankie & Bennys.

holyzombiejesus

Odd that Kerry seems to be getting singled out for most of the plaudits here. I find some of her bits really off-putting and over-egged. I think Daisy's performances seem to have become a little more cartoonish since the first series too and stuff like that bit about her getting hit in the corner of her cornea with a fruit corner would have been better edited out, even if just replaced with Kurtan muttering "Her garden, her garden."

Jockice

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 27, 2020, 11:28:59 AM
Ach, it's awful. Was looking at it last night and it was just a load of people reciting catchphrases or posting photos of Brassed Off and Frankie & Bennys.

Oh it's okay. Average Facebook site really. And I got lots of likes one of the few times I ever posted on it, about Peter Pearce, my school's equivalent to Robert Robinson.  Until anyone - ie my girlfriend - can prove he not only exists but was in our class I refuse to believe anything she says about him.

Blue Jam

Alright, don't be a bellshaft ;)

Cheers for a proper YouTube link bgmnts, I couldn't find one!