Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:46:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CORONAVIRUS 2020: RHYTHM OF THE DEATH

Started by imitationleather, January 22, 2020, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are we fucked?

Yes
20 (15%)
No
16 (12%)
If the virus doesn't kill us, the hysteria will
17 (12.8%)
Not arsed mate, cigs
10 (7.5%)
Who fucking cares
7 (5.3%)
With a little bit of caution and awareness it might be okay (chance would be a fine thing)
8 (6%)
It'll be fine eventually
7 (5.3%)
It'll be fine eventually (but not in our lifetime)
3 (2.3%)
With EVERYTHING else gone to shit anyway it's probably for the best
10 (7.5%)
It's fine
4 (3%)
Raoul Moat
18 (13.5%)
Wolves did it
5 (3.8%)
May not be fucked, but I actually hope we are and I'm a fucking huge narcissist
7 (5.3%)
Should we go full HUMAN CENTIPEDE to avoid bogroll crisis?
1 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 133

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Puce Moment on March 13, 2020, 05:31:59 PM
University business and communication is still strike breaking/digital picket line crossing. Perhaps neither of you are in the UCU.

I'm not, solidarity with the COVID-19!

Bence Fekete

I watched the news, Newsnight and QT last night, scrolled this thread and I still don't understand but maybe I'm being thick. If herd immunity is the long-term answer then why do anything? And if doing something is helpful then why not do everything?

One of these approaches has to be the least effective.

It feels like they're drip-feeding us a total lockdown, whereas an immediate full lockdown actually saves more but tanks the economy (and people are judged to be too moronic to carry it out effectively). But as soon as the deathtoll reaches magic number X we atavise into Blitz mode anyway.

Car crash.

maett

Out here in Korea and just been told that we won't be working for a 4th week due to a cluster of infections at a call center a couple of miles from our academy. It's been good for catching up on telly, terrible for diet. The school year was supposed to start at the beginning of March. Kindergarten fees are about 700 quid a month with over a 100 kids that's 70000 grand down the toilet before you add on teacher/staff wages at least another £27,000 and rent. I've a feeling when we go back things might not be the same.

Dewt

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 13, 2020, 05:36:09 PM
Just had to tell a member of staff we are implementing quarantine measures starting Monday. They are siloed at home for the foreseeable future to prevent the spread for the firm and the public in general.

They replied with the question of whether it would impact the 4 day trip to Mexico they booked last night for the first week of April because it was "so cheap".
Why the fuck is that something they ask YOU

Non Stop Dancer

Best thing to come out of this is I had to buy shea butter bog roll when the shortage was on, and it's like being rimmed clean by a day old kitten.

Ferris

Quote from: weekender on March 13, 2020, 05:40:34 PM
Well, would it?

2 weeks self quarantine and an explanation as to why you are so cretinous.

They have canceled the trip now. Acapulco's loss is Toronto's gain.

Quote from: Dewt on March 13, 2020, 05:53:15 PM
Why the fuck is that something they ask YOU

Why indeed.

Puce Moment

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 13, 2020, 05:42:43 PMI'm not, solidarity with the COVID-19!

No worries - hope you get that Wolves job. I can't think of a Uni (other than Portsmouth) who benefit more from a strong UCU.

Dewt

Just realised there's a bunch of you cunts that get to do nothing when they work from home whereas the rest of us actually have to work.

Small Man Big Horse

One of my Chinese based students kept on sneezing today and every time I kept on thinking "Dead Soon", and then instantly felt guilty, I may not have the virus yet but CaB has infected my brain, that's for sure!

Blue Jam

Holy shit, is there anyone on this website that doesn't work in education/NHS/public sector??

other than me, anyway

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 13, 2020, 06:08:22 PM
YAAAAAY GWAAAARN BAZZA:

https://wst.tv/wst-statement/

no chance those will be going ahead

the lure of getting absolutely arseholed and gambling on the barbaric treatment of horses seemed to override common sense at Cheltenham, but consider that the last sporting event for some time

shiftwork2

Yes paulie, if you read the thread you would see there were lots.

ollyboro

That's a weight off my mind. Stools in your blood sample ISN'T a symptom of coronavirus.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Sheffield Wednesday

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on March 13, 2020, 05:53:30 PM
Best thing to come out of this is I had to buy shea butter bog roll when the shortage was on, and it's like being rimmed clean by a day old kitten.

I'm really glad I came back to CaB basically for this post. Thanks.

purlieu

Quote from: Kryton on March 13, 2020, 10:13:02 AM
Still wondering how we are all expected to pay bills and rent etc on SSP.
You should be able to claim housing benefit if you're on SSP.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Hands destroyed from washing them seventeen times a day. Would welcome working from home.

Barry Admin

I feel more positive today. My wheeze and chest infection are basically mostly gone apart from a bit of a cough. More importantly, I realised my problems with low iron levels have come back in force, and that's why I've been so lethargic and dozing off constantly during the day, unable to read or play games etc. Plus the dizziness isn't coronoavirus fever or anything, it's iron levels again too. So I've started taking the tablets and hopefully that'll sort me out.

idunnosomename

HEY PAL! I SURE HOPE YOU WASHED THOSE HANDS

Puce Moment

Sing this 10 times to get the right length of time for hand-washing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybGOT4d2Hs8

chveik

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on March 13, 2020, 06:12:37 PM
the lure of getting absolutely arseholed and gambling on the barbaric treatment of horses seemed to override common sense at Cheltenham, but consider that the last sporting event for some time

first post of yours that makes sense. cheers covid!

probably a case of wrong account though

jobotic

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on March 13, 2020, 06:09:35 PM
Holy shit, is there anyone on this website that doesn't work in education/NHS/public sector??

other than me, anyway

What's happening in The City then?

Blue Jam

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 13, 2020, 06:46:20 PM
I feel more positive today. My wheeze and chest infection are basically mostly gone apart from a bit of a cough. More importantly, I realised my problems with low iron levels have come back in force, and that's why I've been so lethargic and dozing off constantly during the day, unable to read or play games etc. Plus the dizziness isn't coronoavirus fever or anything, it's iron levels again too. So I've started taking the tablets and hopefully that'll sort me out.

Which iron tablets are you on, out of interest? I have low iron thanks to wimmin's troubles and I take the Boots ones with vitamin C. I've been a bit less tired since taking them and the vitamin C seems to completely do away with the stomach troubles iron tablets often cause.

Attila

Email late this afternoon from our programme leader, who's gone rogue: 'WHEN, not IF we go to online teaching, I've put together with IT a Canvas page so that you can get ideas and tips on how best you might work with your classes over the next few weeks.'

I think the only complicated one I have is a group presentation with my Year 1s  and an inclass debate with a small Year 3 group. Everything else is pretty easy to put together online. (Not as an 'online course' which of course are more complex, but getting materials out to the students in a simple, yet effective manner in extraordinary times).

Dewt

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Attila on March 13, 2020, 07:03:22 PM
Email late this afternoon from our programme leader, who's gone rogue: 'WHEN, not IF we go to online teaching, I've put together with IT a Canvas page so that you can get ideas and tips on how best you might work with your classes over the next few weeks.'

I think the only complicated one I have is a group presentation with my Year 1s  and an inclass debate with a small Year 3 group. Everything else is pretty easy to put together online. (Not as an 'online course' which of course are more complex, but getting materials out to the students in a simple, yet effective manner in extraordinary times).

Putting me off my search for a lectureship, fuck that faff

Blue Jam

Quote from: Dewt on March 13, 2020, 07:03:51 PM
iron levels wankers

Yeah, my iron levels are low because I've wanked all the iron out of my body.

Ferris