Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:24:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CORONAVIRUS 2020: RHYTHM OF THE DEATH

Started by imitationleather, January 22, 2020, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are we fucked?

Yes
20 (15%)
No
16 (12%)
If the virus doesn't kill us, the hysteria will
17 (12.8%)
Not arsed mate, cigs
10 (7.5%)
Who fucking cares
7 (5.3%)
With a little bit of caution and awareness it might be okay (chance would be a fine thing)
8 (6%)
It'll be fine eventually
7 (5.3%)
It'll be fine eventually (but not in our lifetime)
3 (2.3%)
With EVERYTHING else gone to shit anyway it's probably for the best
10 (7.5%)
It's fine
4 (3%)
Raoul Moat
18 (13.5%)
Wolves did it
5 (3.8%)
May not be fucked, but I actually hope we are and I'm a fucking huge narcissist
7 (5.3%)
Should we go full HUMAN CENTIPEDE to avoid bogroll crisis?
1 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 133

idunnosomename

it's an epidemic that only affects pansexuals! and frying pans! HHAHAHAHA

TrenterPercenter

Seein me and Julio down by the school yard

Dewt

Obvious things entry on your behalf: it's actually "you, me and Julio"

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I'm sure that song is about noncing it up. Dirty little Paul Simon.

Mister Six

Quote from: Dewt on January 22, 2020, 12:11:30 PM
This seems like the usual racist reporting on anything Chinese from Western news, TBH. Misleading as hell. They get a local expert on who says "I believe the virus spread from animals" and use it to imply that it came from this filthy Chinese market, doing filthy Chinese things like filthy Chineses like to do. It's not just abhorrent, it's also going to give you NEW SARS. Then they go to another market and basically say "no evidence, but it looks a little virusy".

I work for a Hong Kong-based newspaper and we've been reporting the connection to the Wuhan market since the very beginning. And the hygiene levels in these places are frequently atrocious, so TBH i wouldn't complain about the core claim (even if the further reporting is shit).

Dewt

I honestly have no problem with the core claim, but even if it's correct the linked-to piece can go fuck itself.

Bobby Treetops

I know someone who flow out to China for two weeks on Sunday, he can fuck off he thinks he's meeting up for a pint when he gets back.

idunnosomename

i also think the foot and mouth epidemic did start because an english farmer fucked a cow

Mister Six

Yeah a nasty bovine smegma virus. It's actually "fucking mouth disease".

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Bobby Treetops on January 22, 2020, 07:32:12 PM
I know someone who flow out to China for two weeks on Sunday, he can fuck off he thinks he's meeting up for a pint when he gets back.

Someone in my office just said her son got back from there yesterday.  No barriers, no checks either end of the flight, all he was given was a leaflet.

colacentral

I've just seen a video of someone eating a plate of live mice, after dipping them in sauce. Then I'm seeing children nibbling on bat wings. The live dog boiling festival. All these things are so bizarre that out of context you'd assume they were the actions of a notorious serial killer.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: colacentral on January 23, 2020, 10:39:06 AM
I've just seen a video of someone eating a plate of live mice, after dipping them in sauce. Then I'm seeing children nibbling on bat wings. The live dog boiling festival. All these things are so bizarre that out of context you'd assume they were the actions of a notorious serial killer.

Never heard of or seen them eating live mice or bat wings, but most Chinese folk do have a...shall we say wide variety of tastes, particularly on the mainland.  Go to any Chinese restaurant in this country which is frequented by Chinese (particularly students), 9 times out of 10 they'll be ordering off the other menu which hasn't been translated into English.  That's the menu with authentic Chinese home cooking, and typically all those gelatinous dishes with lots of stuff even old-school offal eaters wouldn't look at, and lips eyelids and bumholes in a broth.

They're less squeamish than most countries on the planet.

imitationleather

When I used to go out with someone who worked in a Chinese takeaway the owner would give me stuff off the other menu.

Now I'm wondering what the hell I was eating!

Cuellar

People praised the Native Americans for 'using every part of the Buffalo' but then turn their noses up at a bit of sphincter and gristle in a length of stomach lining.

Hypocrites.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: imitationleather on January 23, 2020, 10:49:38 AM
When I used to go out with someone who worked in a Chinese takeaway the owner would give me stuff off the other menu.

Now I'm wondering what the hell I was eating!

It's not ALL like that - there are plenty of tasty dishes suitable for Western tastes these days.  Stuff like Mongolian barbecue beef, slow cooked brisket in a sweet spicy sauce, frogs legs in a spicy rub, deep fried pig cheeks, deep fried sweetbreads (increasingly popular in Michelin restaurants in the UK since Heston Blumenthal introduced them in the early days of the Fat Duck), etc.  Mind you, there's usually a LOT of jellyfish too...

I suspect that there is a tendency for foreign restaurateurs to think us Brits are still very much egg and chips people.  A lot of Americans still think that of us too.

Barry Admin

I asked some Asian PoGo players where I could get authentic Chinese food, but I'm afraid the establishments recommended invariably had dogshit poor hygiene ratings.

Did you know they love to drink hot water, the Chinese?  Apropos of nothing, just a fact about cultural differences they told me once that I found interesting.

I do remember a lot of racist shit about Chinese restaurants when I was growing up. As if they would actually go to all the trouble of stealing and slaughtering people's dogs and cats, rather than just fucking ordering chicken and beef from the supply chains.

Round here it was the white working class blokes who would shoot your cats anyway. Lots of pigeon owners, especially in days gone past, plus a loyalist estate with many paramilitary connections = bye bye kitty.

colacentral

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 23, 2020, 10:44:03 AM
Never heard of or seen them eating live mice or bat wings, but most Chinese folk do have a...shall we say wide variety of tastes, particularly on the mainland.  Go to any Chinese restaurant in this country which is frequented by Chinese (particularly students), 9 times out of 10 they'll be ordering off the other menu which hasn't been translated into English.  That's the menu with authentic Chinese home cooking, and typically all those gelatinous dishes with lots of stuff even old-school offal eaters wouldn't look at, and lips eyelids and bumholes in a broth.

They're less squeamish than most countries on the planet.

Some bat eating:

https://twitter.com/TomT88696910/status/1220133592338026496?s=19

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 23, 2020, 11:06:35 AM
I asked some Asian PoGo players where I could get authentic Chinese food, but I'm afraid the establishments recommended invariably had dogshit poor hygiene ratings.

Did you know they love to drink hot water, the Chinese?  Apropos of nothing, just a fact about cultural differences they told me once that I found interesting.

I do remember a lot of racist shit about Chinese restaurants when I was growing up. As if they would actually go to all the trouble of stealing and slaughtering people's dogs and cats, rather than just fucking ordering chicken and beef from the supply chains.

Round here it was the white working class blokes who would shoot your cats anyway. Lots of pigeon owners, especially in days gone past, plus a loyalist estate with many paramilitary connections = bye bye kitty.

Yes, some Chinese restaurants over here offer the option of either jasmine tea or plain hot water.  Plain hot water is a rarity though, it's normally just jasmine tea.

Alas they DO eat a lot of cats (and dogs, of course) in parts of China, but as both are becoming increasingly popular over there as pets the number of people eating them has dropped significantly in the last decade or so.  Still a lot get eaten, though.  I doubt you'll find dog or cat on any Chinese restaurant menu over here.  If there are, it'll only be those backstreet "black kitchens" that seem to be popping up.

Quote from: colacentral on January 23, 2020, 11:13:42 AM
Some bat eating:

Ooff.  At least it's cooked.

Mind you, most Chinese and Japanese people are similarly shocked that we eat rabbit.  I know rabbit isn't up there in the popularity stakes (no pun intended) with chicken, beef, pork and fish, but rabbit IS still a popular game meat here (and a favourite of mine, I should add). 

Basically, everyone is somewhere on the food hypocrisy scale.

Cuellar

Some bat eating:

And scroll up on that to see some mouse eating. I'm pretty sanguine about eating habits - why not eat dogs if you eat pigs etc. - but that seems going it a bit.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Cuellar on January 23, 2020, 11:19:39 AM
And scroll up on that to see some mouse eating. I'm pretty sanguine about eating habits - why not eat dogs if you eat pigs etc. - but that seems going it a bit.

Just looked it up - a lot of the time the live stuff is to do with religious beliefs (something about them not being allowed to eat something from a dead animal).

As for why not eat dogs or cats - ignore the squeamish and domestic pet aspect, you shouldn't eat other mammalian carnivores as that's how diseases can start.  BSE came about because cows were eating mashed up cows, that were eating mashed up cows, that were eating mashed up cows (and so on).

Twit 2

Thinking of infecting myself with this for a laugh.

Captain Z

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 23, 2020, 11:30:25 AM
Just looked it up - a lot of the time the live stuff is to do with religious beliefs (something about them not being allowed to eat something from a dead animal).

As for why not eat dogs or cats - ignore the squeamish and domestic pet aspect, you shouldn't eat other mammalian carnivores as that's how diseases can start.  BSE came about because cows were eating mashed up cows, that were eating mashed up cows, that were eating mashed up cows (and so on).

It's mashed up cows all the way down.

Mister Six

Some bat eating:

Given how she doesn't actually bite down on the bat, and that it's apparently just lying there fully intact rather than having been prepared in a sauce or or something, I'm wondering if this is just a hoax. My missus is Chinese so I'll ask her what the people there are saying when she wakes up (my Mandarin is awful, sadly).

Anyway I lived in Beijing for five years, and while I saw some older people being horrible to rats from time to time (the Cultural Revolution seriously fucked up entire generations) and one street vendor flogged rat meat to foreigners pretending it was lamb, I never saw anything in even the cheaper, more niche restaurants weirder than offal, or maybe a fish head.

There was one Korean place I didn't go in that supposedly served dog meat, but dogs are about as smart as pigs, so let's not pretend that's anything more than a cultural difference over what animals are okay to eat, akin to people being upset that the French eat horse meat.

The fertilised chicken eggs are a bit much for me, I will admit, though.

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 23, 2020, 11:06:35 AM

Yeah it's supposedly more "healthy", and a go-to cure-all for any middle-aged person who's feeling a bit peaky. I believe it's just a holdover from when clean water was less accessible - you'd want to boil up any water before drinking. China is still only just pulling itself out of the extreme widespread poverty that Mao's era sadly extended.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 23, 2020, 11:30:25 AM

That's surely more about not feeding animals their own mashed-up mates? A similar disease, kuru, can emerge in human communities that insist on eating human brains. That's why I've sworn off eating people.

Blumf

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 23, 2020, 11:18:50 AM
Mind you, most Chinese and Japanese people are similarly shocked that we eat rabbit.

Really? Do they just have a soft spot for bunnies, or is it some other reason?

Mister Six

Just want to point out that China is about the same size as Europe (including Northern, Eastern Europe etc) and culturally diverse with it, so generalisations about Chinese people or cuisine is a bad idea - one I'm admittedly prone to doing myself.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Mister Six on January 23, 2020, 01:20:12 PM
That's surely more about not feeding animals their own mashed-up mates?

I was at the Ministry of Agriculture at the very tail-end of BSE (just after it had spread to humans) and our science bods had done loads of tests that directly linked eating carnivorous mammals to all sorts of diseases.  Obviously it's all down to how healthy you are and how strong your immune system is etc etc, but the increase in risk was nevertheless enormous.

QuoteThat's why I've sworn off eating people.

Taste like chicken.

Quote from: Blumf on January 23, 2020, 01:44:53 PM
Really? Do they just have a soft spot for bunnies, or is it some other reason?

With Japan it's because they're typically only thought of as pets.  In China I think I'm right in saying it's more because a rabbit doesn't go very far in terms of food, but they take about the same amount of hassle and money to procure or keep as pigs or chickens, which obviously go a lot further.  I know there are a few rural provinces where rabbit IS eaten, but only where they're so prevalent in the wild, and you can probably get it in places like Hong Kong and more developed cities.

Quote from: Mister Six on January 23, 2020, 01:48:23 PM
Just want to point out that China is about the same size as Europe (including Northern, Eastern Europe etc) and culturally diverse with it, so generalisations about Chinese people or cuisine is a bad idea - one I'm admittedly prone to doing myself.

Don't worry - this is all based on tangible research from Chinese friends and acquaintances, the parents of a mate's Chinese girlfriend (and said mate and his girlfriend's trips to mainland China to see her relatives), authentic Chinese recipe books, years of TV shows about Chinese cuisine and numerous visits to "proper" Chinese restaurants (i.e. those that do a little more than just sweet and sour chicken [which is not authentic Chines, of course]).

Mister Six

Despite all that, there's no such thing as "Chinese food", really, any more than there's "European food". The differences between, say, Cantonese dim sum, lovely spicy lamb from Xinjiang and big chunks o'meat in Heilongjiang are vast - just like the differences between Norwegian rakfisk (if you want to talk gross food...), Italian ravioli and German sauerkraut.

Shit Good Nose

Well yes, quite, but we don't have the time or inclination to break down an entire nation's entire cuisine.  Wouldn't even be able to do that with England.  Can do it with Wales though - cheese on toast and seaweed.

But there are a lot of dishes which are "universal" in China, just as there are in any other country and continent.