Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:09:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

CORONAVIRUS 2020: RHYTHM OF THE DEATH

Started by imitationleather, January 22, 2020, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are we fucked?

Yes
20 (15%)
No
16 (12%)
If the virus doesn't kill us, the hysteria will
17 (12.8%)
Not arsed mate, cigs
10 (7.5%)
Who fucking cares
7 (5.3%)
With a little bit of caution and awareness it might be okay (chance would be a fine thing)
8 (6%)
It'll be fine eventually
7 (5.3%)
It'll be fine eventually (but not in our lifetime)
3 (2.3%)
With EVERYTHING else gone to shit anyway it's probably for the best
10 (7.5%)
It's fine
4 (3%)
Raoul Moat
18 (13.5%)
Wolves did it
5 (3.8%)
May not be fucked, but I actually hope we are and I'm a fucking huge narcissist
7 (5.3%)
Should we go full HUMAN CENTIPEDE to avoid bogroll crisis?
1 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 133

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Alberon on February 10, 2020, 05:38:42 PM
OK, so they haven't cremated 13.35m people.

They're about to cremate 13.35m people.

At least that's according to Michael Fish.

Uncle TechTip

That's the amazing thing about China, you can burn 13 million people and nobody notices, except satellites.

Blue Jam

I saw this in Saino's the other day, I thought it looked a bit dodge:

Alberon

No Green?

They're missing a trick there.

Kryton

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/mrc-global-infectious-disease-analysis/news--wuhan-coronavirus/

QuoteWe present case fatality ratio (CFR) estimates for three strata of 2019-nCoV infections. For cases detected in Hubei, we estimate the CFR to be 18% (95% credible interval: 11%-81%). For cases detected in travellers outside mainland China, we obtain central estimates of the CFR in the range 1.2-5.6% depending on the statistical methods, with substantial uncertainty around these central values. Using estimates of underlying infection prevalence in Wuhan at the end of January derived from testing of passengers on repatriation flights to Japan and Germany, we adjusted the estimates of CFR from either the early epidemic in Hubei Province, or from cases reported outside mainland China, to obtain estimates of the overall CFR in all infections (asymptomatic or symptomatic) of approximately 1% (95% confidence interval 0.5%-4%). It is important to note that the differences in these estimates does not reflect underlying differences in disease severity between countries. CFRs seen in individual countries will vary depending on the sensitivity of different surveillance systems to detect cases of differing levels of severity and the clinical care offered to severely ill cases. All CFR estimates should be viewed cautiously at the current time as the sensitivity of surveillance of both deaths and cases in mainland China is unclear. Furthermore, all estimates rely on limited data on the typical time intervals from symptom onset to death or recovery which influences the CFR estimates.

bgmnts

Quotegoing to the French Alps for a ski holiday, then returning to his home in Hove, East Sussex

Burn the cunt.

QuoteHe has two children and is an assistant cub scout leader at the 3rd Hove St Leonards Scout Group where he is known as Shere Khan.

Burn the...cunt...?

Uncle TechTip

I think Steve Walsh needs to do on a hand washing course.

Blue Jam

At werk now and I keep getting targeted ads for coronavirus research products. It feels like someone out there is telling me to get off my arse and do something useful.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Beagle 2 on February 11, 2020, 11:42:55 AM
BURN HIM BURN STEVE WALSH

https://news.sky.com/story/identity-of-man-linked-to-11-british-coronavirus-cases-revealed-11931336

Did they really need to dox this poor bloke?

Last week I cycled past the pub one of the victims used to frequent, The Grenadier, and now I'm lurgied tae fuck.  It's curtains for me.

H-O-W-L

You can't just burn a fuckload of people on a big fire like that anyway. Human bodies are stubborn cunts that refuse to burn very efficiently. Crematories use a huge, hot set of flames that are given constant accelerant for a long arse while. Beyond fats not much of human matter burns very well. Bones are also left behind even after the fuckoff huge crematory flame and have to be ground up. Inefficient to burn bodies when you can just stick them all in a big plague pit.

Blumf

Quote from: H-O-W-L on February 12, 2020, 02:23:49 PM
Inefficient to burn bodies when you can just stick them all in a big plague pit.

Hull?

bgmnts

Quote from: H-O-W-L on February 12, 2020, 02:23:49 PM
You can't just burn a fuckload of people on a big fire like that anyway.

Watch me.

druss

Got a text from my GP today that said "Dear Druss, we think you have been exposed to coronavirus. please contact 111 or click on the link below for more information". Fuck. Rang my Mum who shat herself and told the rest of the family I was going to die and that they might too due to exposure. Re-read the text to find it said "If you think you have been exposed..."

BlodwynPig

ZoyzaSorris

First case in London. Though given the cold I seem to have I think you can maybe make that two at least.

Bazooka

My girlfriend has been staying with her family since the lunar New Year, her community have just enforced a ticketing system, only one person in each household is allowed to leave home each day.  I was explaining to her there is no way we would conform so easily, for one if you have a garden you  could just fuck off over the fence. Living in high rises though is bollocks.

Alberon

So there's been a large spike in infections and deaths in China but that seems mostly down to changes in how they are reported.

QuoteHubei's health commission said on Thursday that it was now including in its confirmed tally those people diagnosed via CT scans as well as via testing kits. Previously, authorities had included only those cases confirmed by the diagnostic testing kits, which are in short supply.

QuoteOf the 242 new deaths in Wuhan, 135 are such "clinically diagnosed" cases.
That means, even without the new definition, the number of deaths in Hubei on Wednesday was 107 - a new high for the province.
The province's 14,840 new infections include 13,332 clinically diagnosed cases.
Overall, the province now has 48,206 confirmed infections.

katzenjammer

Quote from: Bazooka on February 12, 2020, 09:48:01 PM
My girlfriend has been staying with her family since the lunar New Year, her community have just enforced a ticketing system, only one person in each household is allowed to leave home each day.  I was explaining to her there is no way we would conform so easily, for one if you have a garden you  could just fuck off over the fence. Living in high rises though is bollocks.

I heard about the ticketing thing a week ago from a mate of mine whose parents in law live in China, but thought it might be bollocks.  Apparently not.  Grim stuff

Blumf

Head Gardener

Bazooka

Quote from: Blumf on February 13, 2020, 01:01:18 PM
How does this ticketing system work?

Get given a token which you have to show to the security guard, every residential area has at least one to three guards stationed at the entrance where you drive in the the complex.  You can apply for extra tokens but you'd probably have to have a high up job.

Kryton

bgmnts

Quote from: Kryton on February 14, 2020, 12:39:23 AM
47,000 cases worldwide possibly 60,000

?

QuoteNationally, the virus has infected more than 60,000 people and killed more than 1,400. The jump in new cases puts extra pressure on the government to treat thousands of patients, many of whom are in mass quarantine centers or in isolation facilities.

Thats just China isnt it?

TrenterPercenter

Not sure if it has been pointed out but 1380 deaths over 60k infections (likely more) is a mortality rate of 2.1% (roughly 3 times that of the flu).  Also I hate to not go with the Western presses delight at making this out as China's Communist threat to the world but the number of reported cases appear to be reducing.

Zetetic

It's been clear for a while that it'll be less deadly, in itself, than SARS but seasonal flu or worse isn't great either - particularly if your hospital and ICU beds are already full due to the latter (which isn't so much the case here now, thankfully).

Very difficult to get a decent grip on what the actual spread is like, given symptomless contagion and wide variation in approaches to identification.