Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:10:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CORONAVIRUS 2020: RHYTHM OF THE DEATH

Started by imitationleather, January 22, 2020, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are we fucked?

Yes
20 (15%)
No
16 (12%)
If the virus doesn't kill us, the hysteria will
17 (12.8%)
Not arsed mate, cigs
10 (7.5%)
Who fucking cares
7 (5.3%)
With a little bit of caution and awareness it might be okay (chance would be a fine thing)
8 (6%)
It'll be fine eventually
7 (5.3%)
It'll be fine eventually (but not in our lifetime)
3 (2.3%)
With EVERYTHING else gone to shit anyway it's probably for the best
10 (7.5%)
It's fine
4 (3%)
Raoul Moat
18 (13.5%)
Wolves did it
5 (3.8%)
May not be fucked, but I actually hope we are and I'm a fucking huge narcissist
7 (5.3%)
Should we go full HUMAN CENTIPEDE to avoid bogroll crisis?
1 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Cloud

I don't subscribe to the mass panic outside of Wuhan and am more likely to think it's all very convenient for face mask manufacturers, but in the current climate it seems a bit gung ho for the person who runs our works canteen and handles all the food to be waltzing into work almost proudly complaining about feeling like absolute shit, up all night with the worst ever fever and aches etc.  Nowt to do with Corona I'm sure but still, half the workplace getting the flu isn't a pleasant idea either.  Think I'll pass on the bacon sarnie and substitute it with a couple of good squirts of First Defence.

bgmnts

Quote from: Zetetic on February 14, 2020, 08:31:37 AM
It's been clear for a while that it'll be less deadly, in itself, than SARS but seasonal flu or worse isn't great either - particularly if your hospital and ICU beds are already full due to the latter (which isn't so much the case here now, thankfully).

Very difficult to get a decent grip on what the actual spread is like, given symptomless contagion and wide variation in approaches to identification.

It's killed more people than SARS hasn't it?

Mister Six

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on February 14, 2020, 08:17:46 AM
Not sure if it has been pointed out but 1380 deaths over 60k infections (likely more) is a mortality rate of 2.1% (roughly 3 times that of the flu).  Also I hate to not go with the Western presses delight at making this out as China's Communist threat to the world but the number of reported cases appear to be reducing.

Assuming you believe the official stats and don't think Beijing (or indeed local governments) are massaging data to minimise panic/loss of face.

And even if they are accurate, it looks like hospitals in Wuhan, at least, are recording some deaths as being from generic pneumonia rather than tying it to the coronavirus because they're too busy to run tests to confirm: https://amp.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3050311/its-pneumonia-everybody-china-knows-about-many-deaths-will-never

pancreas

This needs to go bigger, right now. We need a reset.

Alberon

Quote from: bgmnts on February 14, 2020, 01:17:21 PM

It spreads more easily. That's why experts expect it won't be eradicated as SARS was. We're probably stuck with this one.

pancreas

imitationleather

Kinder, gentler etc. but ooh I'd love it if all Tories got this and died.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: pancreas on February 14, 2020, 02:43:17 PM
This needs to go bigger, right now. We need a reset.

I know this is bants and everything, but this situation is a bit too real for some people in this thread.

bgmnts

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on February 14, 2020, 03:11:30 PM
I know this is bants and everything, but this situation is a bit too real for some people in this thread.

Yeah I prefer it when there's a war in Africa or something and child soldiers get their arms lopped off. At least we can all get a giggle out of that shit.

pancreas

Quote from: imitationleather on February 14, 2020, 02:59:11 PM
Kinder, gentler etc. but ooh I'd love it if all Tories got this and died.

Boomer plague. It's what we need.

Kryton

500 million people on lockdown in China.
Planes in Heathrow and Florida on lockdown.
Two labour MPS in isolation and to be tested for the virus.

This is getting serious.

bgmnts

Quote from: Kryton on February 14, 2020, 05:16:19 PM

This is getting serious.

I think you need a break.

Kryton

Quote from: bgmnts on February 14, 2020, 05:18:26 PM
I think you need a break.

Thanks.
Not stressing myself - you can basically look on the first page of /r/worldnews and you'll see this is true.
I'm currently drinking wine and watching youtube videos. All good here.

Looper

This is getting serious.

I hoping Japan will tell that cruise ship to bugger off before the end of March.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It would be LABOUR MPS wouldn't it. Not BRITISH MPs, the better ones, from The Britain.

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 14, 2020, 06:00:33 PM
It would be LABOUR MPS wouldn't it. Not BRITISH MPs, the better ones, from The Britain.

After attending a Bus Summit no less

I was in a room full of chinese filipino and indonesians not 2 days ago.

Zetetic

Quote from: bgmnts on February 14, 2020, 01:17:21 PM
Apologies "deadly" was quite ambiguous there - it seems to be less dangerous than SARS to those infected by each, but is clearly more contagious (not least because of symptomless contagion).

I was trying not to say "lower mortality rate" because mortality rate isn't just a function of the disease, but of available healthcare, for example. (Which in turn is sensitive to overall demand - so COVID + seasonal flu circulating at the same time, is particularly dangerous.)

Zetetic

This is getting serious.
It's interesting that it looks more serious, perhaps, because right now it still remains at least half-way plausible that its spread might be contained. If it becomes clear that it can't be contained, than perhaps the quarantine stuff (and even the testing) will be substantially toned down (because what's the point?) towards something resembling how we approach seasonal flu (while noting the lack of vaccine).

pancreas

Cloud

Quote from: Kryton on February 14, 2020, 05:19:12 PM
you can basically look on the first page of /r/worldnews

For the sake of your mental health stop looking at /r/worldnews.  It's a combination of people with anxiety issues convinced the world's about to end and misanthropist cunts with an apocalypse boner (basically just another /r/collapse), so they just share worst case scenario shit all day, and the papers love churning it out as "OMG panic" sells.

Have a read through this from Gabriel Leung, the source the papers often keep citing with their "60% of people are going to get it, we're all gonna die" bollocks.  It's a lot more level headed than the tabloids and reddit.  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/10/opinion/coronavirus-china-research.html

marquis_de_sad

Look at this complete moron:

Quote from: https://twitter.com/billbirtles/status/1227846573880512512?s=21There's a 109 floor tower right there... about 2.5km away. Everyone's asking the question - with the economy stalled for #Coronavirus, why is Beijing so polluted this week?!

Mister Six

If anyone is wondering, it's because it's winter in Beijing, and Beijing is cold as fuck in winter. Also the city is surrounded on three sides by mountains, so if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction (or not blowing at all), pollution builds up. Especially in winter, when there's no rain to clear the air.

Gurke and Hare

BlodwynPig

Cuellar

He and his wife have previously said they have been given the option to leave and continue their quarantine ashore if they test negative for the virus, but have chosen to remain on board.

Eh?

"GET US OFF THIS BOAT NOW"
"You can leave"
"....no"

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cuellar on February 16, 2020, 11:20:41 AM
Eh?

"GET US OFF THIS BOAT NOW"
"You can leave"
"....no"

The reason we have Brexit Bojo Britain - they should be moved to a quarantine cage in a Thai prison for 6 months

Bazooka

Well I'm looking forward to my two weeks imposed quarantine when I return to Beijing in the coming weeks. Probably just going to build a chrysalis and metamorphasise.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on February 16, 2020, 10:13:45 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51519687

Fingers crossed!

"Wah wah I voted for a party that doesn't do state handouts, now why can't I have a state handout?"

I love it when Tory supporters keep voting for a party that shafts people then whine when they're the ones getting shafted. Mmmmm Tory tears. They never learn though do they?

As for Richard Branson, from what I've read about him I'd wager that he wouldn't give them the steam off his piss.

imitationleather

Yes, Mr Abel is exactly the kind of prick I hate.