Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:38:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CORONAVIRUS 2020: RHYTHM OF THE DEATH

Started by imitationleather, January 22, 2020, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are we fucked?

Yes
20 (15%)
No
16 (12%)
If the virus doesn't kill us, the hysteria will
17 (12.8%)
Not arsed mate, cigs
10 (7.5%)
Who fucking cares
7 (5.3%)
With a little bit of caution and awareness it might be okay (chance would be a fine thing)
8 (6%)
It'll be fine eventually
7 (5.3%)
It'll be fine eventually (but not in our lifetime)
3 (2.3%)
With EVERYTHING else gone to shit anyway it's probably for the best
10 (7.5%)
It's fine
4 (3%)
Raoul Moat
18 (13.5%)
Wolves did it
5 (3.8%)
May not be fucked, but I actually hope we are and I'm a fucking huge narcissist
7 (5.3%)
Should we go full HUMAN CENTIPEDE to avoid bogroll crisis?
1 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Dewt

Quote from: Mister Six on January 23, 2020, 03:06:51 PM
Despite all that, there's no such thing as "Chinese food", really, any more than there's "European food". The differences between, say, Cantonese dim sum, lovely spicy lamb from Xinjiang and big chunks o'meat in Heilongjiang are vast - just like the differences between Norwegian rakfisk (if you want to talk gross food...), Italian ravioli and German sauerkraut.
I like the takeaways etc. that run the risk of confusing people by specifying the locale of their cuisine

Mister Six

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 23, 2020, 03:08:58 PM
Well yes, quite, but we don't have the time or inclination to break down an entire nation's entire cuisine.  Wouldn't even be able to do that with England.  Can do it with Wales though - cheese on toast and seaweed.

But there are a lot of dishes which are "universal" in China, just as there are in any other country and continent.

Really? Which ones are universal?

Anyway, I wasn't addressing you specifically in my initial post there - just wanted to mention this to everyone, as the internet is often all too happy to reduce Chinese food to either sweet and sour chicken or PILES OF DOG HEADS ON AN ABORTED FOETUS PLATTER!!!!!!

idunnosomename

Please sir keep your voice down or everyone will want one

pigamus

Can you stop talking about sweet and sour chicken, my Chinese is shut for TWO WHOLE WEEKS

Chinese New Year my arse

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Mister Six on January 23, 2020, 03:14:31 PM
Really? Which ones are universal?

You'll find spicy slow cooked brisket, variations of what we know as veggie spring rolls, and a simple broth made with offal in pretty much every single part of China, and you'll get similar jellyfish dishes along its entire coast.  I imagine there'll be some form of pork dish which you'll be able to get whichever part of China you go as well - not many places where they don't eat pork.

QuotePILES OF DOG HEADS ON AN ABORTED FOETUS PLATTER!!!!!!

For two please.  With a glass of rotting egg to wash it down.

Dewt

Quote from: pigamus on January 23, 2020, 03:25:14 PM
Can you stop talking about sweet and sour chicken, my Chinese is shut for TWO WHOLE WEEKS

Chinese New Year my arse
Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl72YusTGsY

It's people from an actual Chinese restaurant telling you exactly how to replicate UK Chinese takeaway food. The son one has Ricky Gervais' voice and gets upset about trolls a lot, it's good. He has the correct opinion about MSG (it is that MSG is good).

QDRPHNC

What about zoos? My kids went to a zoo the other day and they said it was fucking disgusting, you know, the state of it.

marquis_de_sad

Back to the actual virus, the current talk is that officials in Wuhan waited too long to properly inform everyone and contain it. It seems they knew the nature of the virus — or the basics anyway — in early January, but didn't want to disrupt the upcoming (insanely busy) Spring Festival travel season. Obviously it's too soon to tell at the moment, but some are saying that this failure to contain the outbreak early may cause it to become worse than the SARS outbreak of the early 00s. While this may be scaremongering, one of the people saying this is Professor Yi Guan of Hong Kong University who... successfully predicted the SARS outbreak of the early 00s. To be fair he did say we we all going to die from H7N9, so who knows.

marquis_de_sad

Also, a woman from Wuhan with mild symptoms took some medication to mask them, went to the airport, got through screening and onto a plane to France, ate at a Michelin-starred restaurant, then boasted about it all on Wechat. People online worked out her identity and reported her to the Chinese Embassy.

Mister Six

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on January 23, 2020, 04:05:04 PM
Also, a woman from Wuhan with mild symptoms took some medication to mask them, went to the airport, got through screening and onto a plane to France, ate at a Michelin-starred restaurant, then boasted about it all on Wechat. People online worked out her identity and reported her to the Chinese Embassy.

Hope she's looking forward to getting locked the fuck up and never leaving China again when she gets home.

(Unless she's well connected, of course, which she might be given the money she must have.)

bgmnts

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on January 23, 2020, 04:05:04 PM

Worth it.

In World War Z, the Solanum virus spreads from China and is covered up.

Just saying...

Mister Six

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 23, 2020, 03:27:06 PM
You'll find spicy slow cooked brisket, variations of what we know as veggie spring rolls, and a simple broth made with offal in pretty much every single part of China, and you'll get similar jellyfish dishes along its entire coast.  I imagine there'll be some form of pork dish which you'll be able to get whichever part of China you go as well - not many places where they don't eat pork.

Cheers, although the pork thing probably wasn't too big in Xinjiang until Beijing started importing Han Chinese by the busload to dilute the native Muslim culture.

Asked Mrs Six and she says the bat video does look real. It's been boiled in a soup. The people who are watching the girl are asking "Aren't you supposed to just drink the soup, not eat the actual bat?"

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on January 23, 2020, 04:01:19 PM
Back to the actual virus, the current talk is that officials in Wuhan waited too long to properly inform everyone and contain it. It seems they knew the nature of the virus — or the basics anyway — in early January, but didn't want to disrupt the upcoming (insanely busy) Spring Festival travel season. Obviously it's too soon to tell at the moment, but some are saying that this failure to contain the outbreak early may cause it to become worse than the SARS outbreak of the early 00s. While this may be scaremongering, one of the people saying this is Professor Yi Guan of Hong Kong University who... successfully predicted the SARS outbreak of the early 00s. To be fair he did say we we all going to die from H7N9, so who knows.

I think there probably IS an element of scaremongering - SARS killed off a few hundred people wasn't it?  I think at the time scientists were saying in relative terms that's less people than the flu kills here in the UK every year.

Quote from: Mister Six on January 23, 2020, 04:25:36 PM
The people who are watching the girl are asking "Aren't you supposed to just drink the soup, not eat the actual bat?"

Hah!

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

I mean 170,000 people die a year from cardiovascular diseases a year in the UK and around 600 people die from influenza (and up to 13,000 during the last swine flu-related episode in 2009).

Apologies if this has already been mentioned in the thread.

Don't believe the hype.

Also this cross promotion for the new Netflix series "Pandemic" is rather elaborate.

Mister Six

I was thinking it was overly literal viral marketing for Medical Police.

earl_sleek

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 23, 2020, 11:30:25 AM
Just looked it up - a lot of the time the live stuff is to do with religious beliefs (something about them not being allowed to eat something from a dead animal).

As for why not eat dogs or cats - ignore the squeamish and domestic pet aspect, you shouldn't eat other mammalian carnivores as that's how diseases can start.  BSE came about because cows were eating mashed up cows, that were eating mashed up cows, that were eating mashed up cows (and so on).

Cows are carnivores?!

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: earl_sleek on January 23, 2020, 05:53:31 PM
Cows are carnivores?!

No, they BECAME carnivores (unwittingly) because most cow feed at the time had mushed up dead cows as an ingredient, so after several years of eating that shit - bovine cannibalism if you like - they were basically carnivores.  And then they went all bandy legged and fucking mental of course. 

Captain Z

You guys... coronavirus is an anagram of carnivores!

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Captain Z on January 23, 2020, 07:41:11 PM
You guys... coronavirus is an anagram of carnivores!

And carnival - LET'S PARTY!

All you can eat cannibal buffet on the left by the choc fountain and sneezing Chinese person.

Kryton

Pingers

I was inspired to get this out and have another play

The news is: it ends badly

imitationleather

On the bright side, Boris Johnson might get this.

Danger Man

Stabovirus kills more people in London every year than some minor Chinese city with shit food.

As long as London calls its ghettoes 'communities' then everything will be fine.

canadagoose

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 23, 2020, 11:06:35 AM
Did you know they love to drink hot water, the Chinese?
Yes! I had wondered about that... I've been offered hot water at Chinese friends' places in the past. Also, interestingly, a lot of them had water filters. They never seemed convinced that the water (in Scotland or France) was safe to drink from the tap.

Danger Man

Nothing is safe to eat in Scotland except

Sin Agog

Almost got into it with my Chinese step-mother about the water thing when I was visiting recently.  She pisses away leccy by filling up the kettle to the brim before boiling it so's she can then filter the boiled water to make it drinkable.  I almost put my chemical engineer mate who works at a water filtration plant on the phone and insists most western countries' tap water is sounder than even a lot of bottled water, but fuck it, boil away.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Pingers on January 23, 2020, 09:31:06 PM
I was inspired to get this out and have another play

The news is: it ends badly

Blooper reel?

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Kryton on January 23, 2020, 09:21:49 PM
Eight cities on lockdown lads.
Wuhan, Huanggang, Ezhou, Chibi, Xiantao, Qianjiang, Zhijiang and Lichuan

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3047453/china-coronavirus-first-fatality-reported-outside-epicentre

Maybe wrong time to apply for that lectureship position that states "1 trimester in China" - not that I can get pregnant