Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:05:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

CORONAVIRUS 2020: RHYTHM OF THE DEATH

Started by imitationleather, January 22, 2020, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are we fucked?

Yes
20 (15%)
No
16 (12%)
If the virus doesn't kill us, the hysteria will
17 (12.8%)
Not arsed mate, cigs
10 (7.5%)
Who fucking cares
7 (5.3%)
With a little bit of caution and awareness it might be okay (chance would be a fine thing)
8 (6%)
It'll be fine eventually
7 (5.3%)
It'll be fine eventually (but not in our lifetime)
3 (2.3%)
With EVERYTHING else gone to shit anyway it's probably for the best
10 (7.5%)
It's fine
4 (3%)
Raoul Moat
18 (13.5%)
Wolves did it
5 (3.8%)
May not be fucked, but I actually hope we are and I'm a fucking huge narcissist
7 (5.3%)
Should we go full HUMAN CENTIPEDE to avoid bogroll crisis?
1 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 133

ZoyzaSorris

Is it bad to say I'll be a bit disappointed if this doesn't turn into a proper pandemic?

Puce Moment

My brother lives in Singapore and just about everyone is wearing face masks now. Could wipe out all humans which would be really bad, isn't it? Maybe.

No?

Pingers

Quote from: Puce Moment on January 24, 2020, 10:40:22 AM
My brother lives in Singapore and just about everyone is wearing face masks now. Could wipe out all humans which would be really bad, isn't it? Maybe.

No?

Mask wearing is up even among Chinese people in Sheffield.

If everyone is staying indoors, that should at least reduce CO2 emissions for a bit?

Paul Calf

It'll all come to nothing but will have been a good excuse for the totalitarians to practice shutting down cities and treating humans like cultures in a Petri dish.

gilbertharding

Remember Coronavirus, eh?

What were all that about?

sevendaughters

mate of mine lives in Wuhan.

PRO: he has been travelling the last 2 weeks
CON: he's not allowed home!

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

All I can think of everytime I hear the city name of Wuhan.

Blue Jam

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 24, 2020, 08:01:06 AM
*Praying for Blue Jam*

???

Is this because the virus may have reached Scotland or because Ding Junhui may be affected?

Don't worry about lovely Ding- as I'm sure you know he lives in Sheffield, and the virus can't be transmitted via pies.

Blue Jam

Re: The facemask thing- don't people usually wear them to protect others from their germs when they have a cold etc, rather than as protection from other people's germs? Isn't it also done partly out of politeness, to let others know you intend to keep your germs to yourself?

When I was in Japan I wore the facemasks at work a couple of times. I did it once back in the UK when I had a cold and was at work (we had boxes of them in the lab) as I thought it was a good idea but I quickly stopped as I was concerned I looked like a gap yah show-off.

Come to think of it, I do have an actual industrial respirator mask here, a proper Breaking Bad-style one which makes my breathing sound a bit like Darth Vader. I might just live in that for the next few months.

imitationleather

Quote from: sevendaughters on January 24, 2020, 11:17:40 AM
mate of mine lives in Wuhan.

PRO: he has been travelling the last 2 weeks
CON: he's not allowed home!

Someone on my Facebook who lives in Wuhan posted a picture of her and her mates getting pissed up.

Likelihood of that breaking out in to a full-on apocalypse orgy?

Butchers Blind

This will only start being interesting when the dead enter the millions and they come back to life and start feasting on the living.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 24, 2020, 11:27:19 AM
Re: The facemask thing- don't people usually wear them to protect others from their germs when they have a cold etc, rather than as protection from other people's germs? Isn't it also done partly out of politeness, to let others know you intend to keep your germs to yourself?

I think that's right.

Some smart-arse on twitter yesterday comparing the infinitesimal size of a virus with the comparatively massive size of the holes in a fabric mask.

Pretty unarguable, obviously - except that I don't think (not an expert) that viruses don't just blow about the world on their own - they're going to be in the atmosphere along with a  comparatively large globule of liquid, which a mask easily might stop.

Cuellar

Definitely caught this. Had to sit next to someone on the bus who was coughing a couple of weeks ago. See ya lads.

Pingers

Quote from: imitationleather on January 24, 2020, 11:27:51 AM
Someone on my Facebook who lives in Wuhan posted a picture of her and her mates getting pissed up.

Likelihood of that breaking out in to a full-on apocalypse orgy?

If it does, can you stream it? Cheers

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on January 24, 2020, 11:22:02 AM

All I can think of everytime I hear the city name of Wuhan.

Which motherfucker blew their nose?
Eenie, meanie, miney, mo.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Paul Calf on January 24, 2020, 11:00:16 AM
It'll all come to nothing but will have been a good excuse for the totalitarians to practice shutting down cities and treating humans like cultures in a Petri dish.

The worst take, as always. One of the reasons why it might come to more than nothing is because of the authoritarian culture of secrecy and lack of transparency in China. Shutting things down earlier would have been a good thing, but they didn't do it because knowledge of what was going on was limited (due to secrecy) and officials were loath to piss people off over the Spring Festival season, as it's one the major release valves for the population at large, especially the constantly shat upon migrant workers. The whole point is that they didn't want to shut down cities. That's the problem.

Mister Six

Look forward to that collapsing and killing everyone inside in about a year.

Pingers

Barry Admin

Yeah, I thought of playing it again myself too!

Pingers

Thing is, that's not even the one where you're trying to cure it, it's the one where you are the disease and try to kill everyone. I say chaps, they are well up for it!

BlodwynPig

QuoteResearchers seeking the intermediate host for a new respiratory virus in Wuhan, China, have cast doubt on the suggestion that it might be a snake. Chinese scientists published a genetic analysis this week suggesting that Bungarus multicinctus (the many-banded krait) or Naja atra (the Chinese cobra) passed the virus to humans from its unknown animal reservoir. Other scientists say it's unlikely that 2019-nCoV, as the virus is known, has infected any secondary animal host for long enough to leave a clue in its genome, and there's no consistent evidence of coronaviruses in hosts other than mammals and birds.

Along with its origins, scientists are racing to answer questions such as how deadly 2019-nCoV is, how it spreads and possible treatments. Learn more about five urgent questions facing researchers.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has decided against declaring the outbreak a global health emergency. "At this time there is no evidence of human-to-human transmission outside China," said WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus. "That doesn't mean it won't happen."

bgmnts

Its where the Wuhan Clan are from.

Thankfully I barely leave the house so i'm just going to wait it out, watch The Stand miniseries on repeat everyday.

marquis_de_sad

Because symptoms can sometimes only reveal themselves 14 days after exposure, people who have travelled recently from Wuhan are being quarantined in their homes, and having their temperature taken twice a day. Also volunteers are stationed outside their residences to make sure they don't leave. Must be fucking terrifying.

Apparently the last time Wuhan was on lockdown was during the Xinhai Revolution of 1911 which toppled the Qing dynasty.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Pingers on January 24, 2020, 06:13:29 PM
I feel better about myself now

Haha, I fired up Plague Inc last night and started out with a virus in China that spread through sneezing and coughing. Wiped out humanity in a year and a half.

Also glad to see I'm not the only one who's reminded of that 90s dance classic.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: bgmnts on January 24, 2020, 07:55:25 PM
Its where the Wuhan Clan are from.

Thankfully I barely leave the house so i'm just going to wait it out, watch The Stand miniseries on repeat everyday.

If you've eaten out in Cwmbran you'll be fine.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on January 25, 2020, 12:05:35 AM
Haha, I fired up Plague Inc last night and started out with a virus in China that spread through sneezing and coughing. Wiped out humanity in a year and a half.

I'd been playing it again quite recently anyway when I was bed-ridden - before I realised I could stream my Xbox from the living room into a tablet in my bedroom (amazing). So I was kind of viewing this outbreak through the prism of Plague Inc anyway.  "Wow, the WHO are almost ready to make a siren go off and have a warning scroll across the screen!"

Then I was also trying to work out what mutations I'd apply to this virus in order to make sure it develops and spreads efficiently. And basically, I just want to guarantee that those awkward little isolated bastards in Greenland get a good fucking dose of it.