Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:06:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'Murder Trial: The Disappearance of Margaret Fleming' - BBC true crime doc

Started by Blinder Data, January 22, 2020, 12:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m000d2cy/murder-trial-the-disappearance-of-margaret-fleming

This was a very good documentary featuring filming from the courtroom, very similar to 2013's The Murder Trial about the murder of Arlene Fraser.

I bloody love courtroom documentaries, even though in my heart of hearts I think the presence of cameras turn it into a spectacle (if this doc was anything like the 2013 one, the cameras would be placed so that they're barely noticeable).

Spoiler alert
Loved the fireman who changed his story when he was giving evidence in the courtroom. Good time to have a moment of realisation, mate! TBH I was a little surprised that they were convicted on such little evidence, but then there have been a few successful prosecution cases in the past where there was no evidence of a body.
[close]

As with a lot of these things you only get one version of the truth (apparently Margaret's mum gave evidence but that was never shown) but it did a very good job, overall.

What did you think? And other recommendations for decent British true crime docs plz

holyzombiejesus

I enjoyed it but think it could easily have been condensed in to one hour long programme. The fireman was the best thing on it, really odd moment. Not sure what to make of that 'help' written on the wall in the cubbyhole, I think that would have been left out by a different  programme maker.

As for other recommendations, there was one on Channel 4 recently called Catching a Killer: A Diary from the Grave. Some jaw dropping moments in that one.

jobotic

My partners's been watching The Staircase, which I've sort of followed but not really concentrated on. I have to do the ironing and wash up while she sits there watching the TV.

The main thing I've taken from it is how much I love it when the scary prosecuting lawyer with the bizarre accent repeatedly says

"what then did you do?"

to the witnesses instead of "what did you then?"

I can't wait to use it.

Alberon

I watched the Margaret Fleming one on broadcast.

Spoiler alert
Edward Cairney's turn on the witness stand did a lot to bury them, plus the assertion that a woman with major learning difficulties had gone to Poland to be a gangmaster. That interview they gave to the BBC shortly before their arrest was bizarre.

The graffiti had to be the work of someone who had trespassed after the couple was arrested.
[close]

Jockice

It was very good, even though Edward Cairney looks and sounds quite like one of my uncles. Which was a bit offputting.

Alberon

Has that uncle not been around the last year or so?

There was a lovely shot in the documentary where the camera (obviously at some distance away) catches the prosecution barrister walking past Cairney outside the courtroom building. The barrister pretends not to see the defendant as he passes but Cairney visibly, if inaudibly, calls him a bastard (or similar) to his back.

Jockice

Quote from: Alberon on January 24, 2020, 12:50:39 PM
Has that uncle not been around the last year or so?

There was a lovely shot in the documentary where the camera (obviously at some distance away) catches the prosecution barrister walking past Cairney outside the courtroom building. The barrister pretends not to see the defendant as he passes but Cairney visibly, if inaudibly, calls him a bastard (or similar) to his back.

He's in a care home nowadays. Allegedly. He also looks a bit like a shoplifter whose picture is on the window of a shop near me. The guy's obviously been leading a triple life.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on January 22, 2020, 12:15:34 PM
As for other recommendations, there was one on Channel 4 recently called Catching a Killer: A Diary from the Grave. Some jaw dropping moments in that one.

It's still up....

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/catching-a-killer/on-demand/67116-002

Malcy

Cooooourt.

Put the iplayer on earlier and noticed I was part way through watching episode 1. Don't remember but watched both tonight. It was something I had seen a fair bit of on the news but this was a good insight into it all. The fireman bit was just odd. Strange chap.

Cooooourt.

(The woman said that in such a strange way...)