Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:18:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

A Bit of Fry and Laurie

Started by Benjaminos, January 22, 2020, 12:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benjaminos

Hullo. This isn't apropos of anything in particular really, but Neil posted some links to prescient ABOFAL sketches in one of the many, many woke grifter threads, and it reminded me of how I'm of the opinion that it's probably.. the best.. sketch show of all time? Probably in my top 5 funniest things ever, too.

Weird to think that Stephen Fry was really funny once. Anyway, post things from ABOFAL that I a) can remember with a wry chuckle, and b) already know are funny. Thanks.

a model aeroplane of water?!

would sir like an opal fruit?

(I don't like the other Mr. Dalliard sketch, so I'm not putting it in here)

don't be durt-eh

plain, and prawn-flavoured

DrGreggles

The first 3 series are all lovely.

Pink Gregory

DrGreggles

famethrowa

famethrowa

It's probably on a weekly basis that I still say "the gentlest breeze.... and the mildest camemberts"

the

It does have an astonishingly high hit rate - the writing and perfomance is superb, particularly so as most of the sketches are two-handers. Even the more cursory, scrappier sketches here and there are a cut above.

I also regard Series 4 very highly, I love the seething anger behind a lot of it, and I even think they put a load of great writing into the 'guests' element. You can feel the show mutating for better or worse but it's also becoming spikier.

This isn't from A Bit Of... but turned up in the YT sidebar the other day and is a good laugh - a Fry & Laurie segment on Comic Relief in 1991 (this would've been between series 2 and 3).

Mr_Simnock

Mr Simnock

I love all those 'control' sketches too

DrGreggles

Quote from: the on January 22, 2020, 01:56:52 PM
This isn't from A Bit Of... but turned up in the YT sidebar the other day and is a good laugh - a Fry & Laurie segment on Comic Relief in 1991 (this would've been between series 2 and 3).

This isn't from the series either, but I like it.
Hedge sketch

Icehaven

I loved it. The context free vox pops were a revelation.

DrGreggles

Quote from: icehaven on January 22, 2020, 02:21:06 PM
I loved it. The context free vox pops were a revelation.

My favourite being one of Hugh's (dressed as a woman, obviously).

"My father was a Conservative and my mother voted Labour, so I suppose I should be a Liberal Democrat.
But in actual fact I'm a Nazi."

Dewt

It feels like too posh, intelligent friends being left mostly alone to do their stuff and it is damned good.

Benjaminos

I know the biting, satirical sketches are supposed to be the 'good' ones, but I have to say that I just like a bit of absurdity most of the time.

my favourite pants

"Ah, now there's a very funny story attached to these pants. Oh, it must have fallen out - it was stapled into the gusset."

flying a light aeroplane with..
borrowing a fiver off..
photocopying my genitals with..

the

My favourite vox pop, which is so resonant it makes my balls vibrate to this day - Hugh Laurie in sunglasses and suit:

"Most people don't actually realise how much training goes into becoming an estate agent!  It's virtually none."

SteK

I liked;

Photocopying My Genitals With

The one about Essex health club, the two highly charged Americans - What happened to the old John? We knocked it down when we built the new one....

Doctor? No, Octor. I dropped the D it was far too formal...

Some of them might be Al Fresco tho,,,

KennyMonster

Has anyone got the Soupy Twist book?

the

Quote from: SteK on January 22, 2020, 02:36:56 PMThe one about Essex health club, the two highly charged Americans - What happened to the old John? We knocked it down when we built the new one....

I don't think they're meant to be American, they just talk in strangulated affected 'businessman' voices.

The 'Uttoxeter' sketches were partially based on the business drama in Howard's Way

studpuppet

"Twenty quid? I'll toss you for it." So I said, "What'll you do for Fifty?"

SteK

Michael Jackson on a walking machine...

Icehaven

studpuppet

Quote from: icehaven on January 22, 2020, 03:28:40 PM
Yes but I haven't read it yet.

Ditto - I'm really shit at reading Unbound books when they finally turn up.

niat

I've ready Soupy Twists and it was very good. Goes into a lot of detail about how the show came together.

I'm also not very good at reading Unbound books when they finally arrive but the ebook version came with this and I ready it on my Kindle.

poodlefaker

...because the pages keep falling out?

Dewt

Dewt

I'm not trying to connect with any of you, I'm just hoping one of you will take over my budgeting for me if I just announce all of my purchases

Rizla

This, Absolutely and Alexei Sayle's Stuff were the holy triumvirate in our house back in the neighnties.

I like "He's not "my" Mr Dalliard - he's everybody's Mr Dalliard!", The Red Hat Of Patferrick, and this one here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86Y6UVIKcQk "No-one likes a smart alec".

Pink Gregory

A history of cricket in the west indies by Ted Cunterblast