Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:03:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A Bit of Fry and Laurie

Started by Benjaminos, January 22, 2020, 12:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Bad quality clip with no context; yes, yes, this is going to go well:

Oh give the man a bloody medal

Gurke and Hare

Dinner With Digby

Talking About Language

I can't find it, but the one with Hugh complaining to Stephen about his son's sex education lessons, mostly for the line:

Parent: Call yourself a school?
Headmaster: Well I don't call my*self* a school no.

Andy147

Marjorie's Fall. I could virtually recite that at one point.

All Surrogate

Grey and hopeless

I love the shifts in Stephen's expression as Hugh gives his individual welcome, and just how well-poised the whole thing is.

My absolute favourite sketch show.  Just staggeringly good.

To throw my two penneth in, this has always been one of my favourite little vox pop bits. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EbjYcKKAzY

And it still amazes me that they got away with "Ted Cunterblast".

HAVANAGILA

Series 1 to 3 are utterly terrific, and probably my most watched sketch show - back in the early 90s, no book was better thumbed than my "3 Bits Of Fry And Laurie" hardback. Can highly recommend Soupy Twists as well, which is just as excellent as Jem's "True History Of The Blackadder".

And this is Berwhale the Avenger:
https://youtu.be/8U7GKdbiA2c

kalowski

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on January 22, 2020, 06:12:04 PM
Got to be 'mystery' for me:

https://youtu.be/0x4Q7JUkpD4
Brilliant.

For me, if anyone ever says "Too much is bad for you," I always say, "Of course too much is bad for you, that's what too much means you blithering twat."

Like the privatisation of the police force ("Fill out a form?") And I love Uri Spoonbender

Quote"It is you who make the claims. I have always been honest. I bend the spoons with psychic energy, I have told you. I never claimed to be able to bend them with my hands. That is your claim."

"And you did bend it with your hands."

"The spoon is bent, that is enough. Perhaps it does flow through my hands this psychic energy of which you claim. It may be. Certainly the spoon is bent. Therefore I bent it."

"I can bend a spoon with my hands too."

"I have never said that my powers are unique. Always have I striven to teach the world that anyone may bend a spoon. My book is not expensive."

Captain Crunch

The Bishop and the Warlord

I always wondered what American metal fans would make of this so I showed it to a couple of the GWAR bods recently.  Not a sausage. 

Dewt

Quote from: Captain Crunch on January 22, 2020, 10:35:38 PM
The Bishop and the Warlord

I always wondered what American metal fans would make of this so I showed it to a couple of the GWAR bods recently.  Not a sausage.
Not so keen on that one. That was my shtick at school, being a slightly higher social class than most of the kids I was lumbered with. "Just do a posh character in inappropriate circumstances, that'll get you through this".

Autopsy Turvey

QuoteThis next song is a big hit for I in France, but now I make the change with it for the English speak.

# When your eyes are stubborn
# To many behind the cupboard
# Underneath your nose
# In all my little moonshine bottom
# Hold my legs up skyward
# For you to smell just as I would
# Leaves the carpet bare
# And never let our ears be rotten

Shaky

"Do you *admire* Gary Davies?"

the

Quote from: Shaky on January 23, 2020, 11:16:45 AM"Do you *admire* Gary Davies?"

That's one of my all-time favourite sketches. It's a thoroughly stupid sketch skimpily cloaked in an espionage drama.

Gary Davies

Cuellar

Haha yes, love that one. The way Laurie says '...you're out of your mind' always makes me laugh for some reason.

SteK

I had a friend over from Russia and she was beside herself when she saw Hugh Laurie as Prince George in Blackadder. To her he is 'House' and only 'House. 'House Alone'

Dunno really what she thought of him in comedy, cos she kept just not believing it was him.

The Culture Bunker

Loved it as a kid, and on rewatching a couple of years ago, was happy to find out it had still held up.

The two men in the "Damn!" sketches had the same names as my brother and I, so pity my poor mam having to deal with two adolescents bellowing that word at every opportunity after catching an episode.

A friend of mine is a quantity surveyor, and I admit I have quoted that routine about his "futile and meaningless life" at him.

KennyMonster

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 23, 2020, 01:08:07 PM

A friend of mine is a quantity surveyor, and I admit I have quoted that routine about his "futile and meaningless life" at him.

Ha ha, you've got a friend.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: KennyMonster on January 23, 2020, 02:08:16 PM
Ha ha, you've got a friend.
Yep. Singular. I think the only reason he stays in touch is that he needs me to fill in on bass for his band.

Shaky

Quote from: the on January 23, 2020, 12:53:52 PM
That's one of my all-time favourite sketches. It's a thoroughly stupid sketch skimpily cloaked in an espionage drama.

Gary Davies

Yeah, it's brilliant. Their faces perfectly fit the stereotypes they're playing and it achieves that fine balance of genre detail, cleverness and stupidity like all the best spoofs.

studpuppet

Quote from: greencalx on January 23, 2020, 07:35:34 PM
Mine too!

Careful, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers...

damien

'Terry, you're fired' might be my favourite sketch of all time.
Also the Greek restaurant sketch with the 2 business types.

One for the 'Extremely small moments... ' thread; there's that bit in one of the 'Dammit' sketches where Fry ends a sentence by mumbling into his whisky and it sounds like he's going under water. I can never recall exactly which one it is.

That combination of equal parts smart and daft must be a devil to pull off.

the

Quote from: Shaky on January 24, 2020, 10:17:02 AMYeah, it's brilliant. Their faces perfectly fit the stereotypes they're playing and it achieves that fine balance of genre detail, cleverness and stupidity like all the best spoofs.

The vaguely-70s espionage parody is something they used more fully in another sketch with these two characters, but in this one I don't think it's the main point of the sketch. Here it's just a flimsy framework to hang stupid jokes about Gary Davies and The Krypton Factor off of. And that's why I like it.

"- sure, we've all seen bits..."

Andy147

Quote from: damien on January 24, 2020, 01:14:54 PM
'Terry, you're fired' might be my favourite sketch of all time.
Also the Greek restaurant sketch with the 2 business types.

One for the 'Extremely small moments... ' thread; there's that bit in one of the 'Dammit' sketches where Fry ends a sentence by mumbling into his whisky and it sounds like he's going under water. I can never recall exactly which one it is.

https://youtu.be/KFmMzX1vDDA?t=175 .

I note that this isn't in the book of scripts ("A Bit More Fry and Laurie"), where he just says "Maybe it's time I moved on".

kalowski

Has anyone said "Mr Dalliard we've been activated."

Autopsy Turvey

"Lincolnshire's flat, Stu, but I wouldn't say it's always late for meetings" is one of my favourite comedy lines of all time, and "We had our first child on the NHS, and had to wait nine months" joke is an all-time great, still relevant.

I do wish they'd done more Masterclasses, and dare I say it fewer Tony Inchpractices.

Phil_A

"I suppose I must've flipped, I emptied a bowl of trifle all over her."
"So, she got custody?"
"Very."

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvhUCmVQp_E (shit quality unfortunately)

"Just - just listen to this! 'I mounted into the windowseat...' pffff! 'gathering up my feet, I sat cross-legged like a Turk'! Well it's just complete BALLS!"

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Phil_A on January 24, 2020, 11:46:48 PM
"I suppose I must've flipped, I emptied a bowl of trifle all over her."
"So, she got custody?"
"Very."

I love that sort of throwaway wordplay of theirs.

"Henrietta."
"Did he?"

"He stooped to pick a buttercup. Why people left buttocks lying around he never understood."

famethrowa

"I'll never know how you kept Nancy for this long"

"...I've never been nancy!"

That's a tough one to make work, but they got there.