Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:43:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Terry Jones has died

Started by Tony Yeboah, January 22, 2020, 12:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nowhere Man

good riddance to him the freeloading bastard i hope he fries.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

SpiderChrist

idunnosomename

I found that uplifting rather than sad. What a genuine tribute the likes of which you rarely see these days

Revelator

It's probably Palin's home rather than an office--he gave one or two other interviews about Terry that have the same background. 

EDIT: I completely misunderstood SpiderChrist's post. Apologies!

Dewt

It's Jones' home, Palin just immediately moved into it.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

bgmnts

Gilliam has come out and mentioned something about snowflakes apparently.

And so I went back and watched Brian and I dont think there is a nasty moment in it. Its actually quite progressive in its own way, for the late 70s. So Gilliam should stop being a div.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: bgmnts on January 24, 2020, 07:54:25 PM
Gilliam has come out and mentioned something about snowflakes apparently.

Only he hasn't, the Sun has introduced the word into a headline above an interview where he's more nuanced on the subject:

Quote from: Terry Gilliam"We did probably irritate some people. We might have offended some people.

"But we made most people laugh, that was what is important.

"Laughter is so vital. When no one can speak honestly or are too frightened to put their foot in their mouth in any way, then we are in trouble."

"It is easier to get banned these days. It makes me crazy that it is under attack ­constantly — that people are not allowed to laugh at things."

"One of the reasons I came to this country 50 years ago is that I just loved the British sense of humour. Brits were able to laugh at everything and anything and find humour in it, to find ­absurdity in it.

"We seem to be in a time which is so serious."

Of his recent 'tedious culture war bullshit' hot-takes:

Quote from: Terry Gilliam"I do it, sometimes, to provoke. Sometimes I am just a naughty boy, as they say in Life Of Brian.

"A lot of people come forward and say, 'It's great, Terry — you said that because no one else is saying something like that'. At the same time, I am being pilloried."

Jonesey was, to be fair, the most ardent beating heart of Python's progressive leftism, even though Cleese of all people was positioning himself at the spearhead of a celebrity Labour elite in 1970 (as Palin mentions in his diary).

I got his book of Young Guardian columns when I was 12, reread it yesterday, amazingly barbed, bitterly sarcastic harangues against Thatch, Murdoch, coppers, royals, it's like political CaB 101, Jeremy Corbyn even sneaks into a footnote.

bgmnts

Oh he basically does, just doesn't use the word snowflake. My mistake.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: bgmnts on January 24, 2020, 08:38:39 PM
Oh he basically does, just doesn't use the word snowflake.

Top marks to the Sun sub-editor! Perspective successfully reduced, actual choice of words unimportant.

Anyway yes I've known two Terry Joneses in my life, always glad to see them in a public place, where I could exclaim "Terry Jones!" at them with real glee. If it wasn't for Terry Jones, Terry Jones would be such a boring name.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on January 24, 2020, 08:57:21 PM
Anyway yes I've known two Terry Joneses in my life, always glad to see them in a public place, where I could exclaim "Terry Jones!" at them with real glee. If it wasn't for Terry Jones, Terry Jones would be such a boring name.

I hope that you don't know this third Terry Jones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Jones_(pastor)

Jockice

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on January 24, 2020, 08:57:21 PM
Top marks to the Sun sub-editor! Perspective successfully reduced, actual choice of words unimportant.

I've known two Robert Smiths. But he's not dead yet.

Cuellar

QuoteRemaining python Eric Idle is said to have not been in attendance at the service, which featured tributes from Jones' wife Anna Soderstrom, 36, his children Bill and Sally, and ex-wife Alison Telfer.

36!?

Revelator

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on January 24, 2020, 08:29:48 PM
I got his book of Young Guardian columns when I was 12, reread it yesterday, amazingly barbed, bitterly sarcastic harangues against Thatch, Murdoch, coppers, royals, it's like political CaB 101

I finished reading Attacks of Opinion yesterday. When he sustains the sarcasm he occasionally approaches Swiftian level satire. A pity the book isn't longer, but at the end he mentions having to go off and film Erik the Viking. I don't know why, but Attacks felt considerably fresher and better than Jones's collection of Iraq War-era columns. (Perhaps Thatcher was a more impressive opponent than Bush?) Anyway, now on to the fables and fairy tales, followed by the book of Erik the Viking. Also time for a re-watch of The Wind in the Willows, which I haven't seen since its original release, when I brought along my little brother, but recall enjoying.

idunnosomename

well i'd def shag the version of him on the cover of the order of service, so probably all later version of him too

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Cuellar on February 06, 2020, 09:42:24 PM
36!?

Yep, 41 years younger than him.; and Swedish, to boot. What a ledge, eh?

And what a cunt Eric Idle is.

idunnosomename

i mean i dont want to judge someone for not being able to make a funeral for whatever reason but genuinely what the fuck is Eric Idle doing that's so important he can't get to North London today. kin hell

Annie Labuntur

The first funeral of a Python that other Pythons (bar Idle) have attended, I think.

Cuellar

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on February 06, 2020, 10:11:57 PM
Yep, 41 years younger than him.; and Swedish, to boot. What a ledge, eh?

Dirty old bastard

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 06, 2020, 10:21:58 PM
i mean i dont want to judge someone for not being able to make a funeral for whatever reason but genuinely what the fuck is Eric Idle doing that's so important he can't get to North London today. kin hell

I suppose it's possible there's bad feeling between him and one or more of the others at the moment that would have made his presence awkward. Maybe something connected with Neil Innes.

idunnosomename

ooooooh. the innes music would've been a bit sore. but still a lovely double tribute. and it is a poignant little ditty

Annie Labuntur

It was notable that Idle returned to Twitter - he quit in November - to make a couple of comments about Jones, but didn't for Innes.

DrGreggles

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 06, 2020, 10:21:58 PM

He's counting his money again.

bgmnts

Quote from: Annie Labuntur on February 06, 2020, 10:28:33 PM
I suppose it's possible there's bad feeling between him and one or more of the others at the moment that would have made his presence awkward. Maybe something connected with Neil Innes.

Bad blood that stops you going to the funeral of a bloke you've known 50 years? 

idunnosomename

also you are a multi-millionaire and flying over is as much a big deal as taking a taxi on business expenses when you're running late through no fault of your own

Annie Labuntur

I'm not defending him, but I meant the bad feeling might be against him from the others. Pointless speculation obviously. Maybe he went to the wrong funeral, with hilarious consequences.

Annie Labuntur