Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:15:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee - Jess Phillips fan? [split topic]

Started by KennyMonster, January 22, 2020, 10:54:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KennyMonster

90s comedian, the comedian Stewart Lee had Jess Phillips listed as one of his favourite people on his website.

I thought he was wiser than stupid bloot icks like Richard Herring.

I feel sad now.

Buelligan

I understand but at the same time, these so-called comedians we love so, are they angels?  Are they wise as fuck (are they fuck).  The reason they make us laugh (a reason) is that they're a bit damaged, a bit mad, maybe a bit sadistic.  Why would we expect them to be solid when it comes to politics?  Why would we even listen to these fucks?

king_tubby

Quote from: KennyMonster on January 22, 2020, 10:54:12 AM
90s comedian, the comedian Stewart Lee had Jess Phillips listed as one of his favourite people on his website.

I thought he was wiser than stupid bloot icks like Richard Herring.

I feel sad now.

Maybe that's just a joke, like on Top Gear.

KennyMonster

Quote from: Buelligan on January 22, 2020, 10:59:46 AM
I understand but at the same time, these so-called comedians we love so, are they angels?  Are they wise as fuck (are they fuck).  The reason they make us laugh (a reason) is that they're a bit damaged, a bit mad, maybe a bit sadistic.  Why would we expect them to be solid when it comes to politics?  Why would we even listen to these fucks?

I just thought he was better than that, and more importantly, better than me.

I'm still a fan but am s bit diappointed that he can't see through her.

Barry Admin

Where did he say it, what's the context?

He is often taking the piss on his website, and it could be that the comedian Stewart Lee likes her, but that Stewart Lee himself does not. (He distinguishes between the two.)

Not coming to Non Iron with his new show, I see. Maybe he has joined the metropolitan elite after all.

Crabwalk

Phillips pals around with several comedians such as Joe Lycett and James Acaster, doesn't she? Might be that he's met her socially and liked her in that context. I don't think she's evil myself, just a bit of a twat.

And let's remember that Stew directed those early Boosh shows and was always a big cheerleader of theirs. He has worse crimes on his record.

greenman

A lot of its really the legacy of the new wave isn't it? when political comedy was much more obviously left wing were as the legacy of the Blair years is much more the idea of the comedian as the "enlightened genius who can see above it all".

You could argue really that pop culture as a whole has become much more middle class over the last 25 years.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 22, 2020, 11:13:07 AM

From his December newsletter, Item 8: "My Cultural Year 2019 Up to December 22nd".

https://www.stewartlee.co.uk/2019/12/mx2019-hny2020-to-all-from-the-metro-lib-elite-desk-of-stewart-lee/

QuoteStars of Track and Field

Greta Thunberg
Radiohead
Ken Clarke
Jess Phillips
Gina Miller
Led By Donkeys
Carole Cadwalladr
Bonnie Greer
Hannah Miller (Granada Reports)
Samira Ahmed
Robin Askwith

chveik

idunnosomename

That looks like a joke to me. One of those jokes!

Don't worry, I still think, deep down, he is still a cunt

king_tubby

Led by Donkeys? Ken Clarke? RADIOHEAD?

ffs, Stew.

Armin Meiwes

Always said Stewart Lee was quite a middle of the road comedian! Didn't I always say that!

Barry Admin

What's wrong with Led By Donkeys? Seem like decent culture jammers to me.

S Lee maybe just likes Phillips' attitude rather than her policies, given she has none. The food voucher thing was good when she won, and she's taken an awful lot of shit from sexist wanks like Sargon without being cowed by it.

king_tubby

I find them smug and unfunny, and a continuation of that 'look at the thick Northern racists voting for Brexit' #FBPE attitude that did so well to bring people over to the Remain cause.

Barry Admin

I'm not on there so only see bits and pieces, but would be interested to see a few examples, if you can be arsed?

Pranet

If you are going to reject comedians (or whoever) who don't support the precise faction of the Labour party you also support then you are going to be rejecting a lot of people.

king_tubby

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 22, 2020, 02:08:04 PM
I'm not on there so only see bits and pieces, but would be interested to see a few examples, if you can be arsed?

This is a good article by Dawn Foster on some aspects of why I was uncomfortable with the way they went about stuff.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/19/led-by-donkeys-billboards-nigel-farage-ann-widdecombe

KennyMonster

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 22, 2020, 11:13:07 AM

He is often taking the piss on his website, and it could be that the comedian Stewart Lee likes her, but that Stewart Lee himself does not. (He distinguishes between the two.)

Not coming to Non Iron with his new show, I see. Maybe he has joined the metropolitan elite after all.

He could be taking the piss but he does write for The Graun (Observer) and they love our Jess, also she's the only politician Herring has invited as a solo guest onto his podcast (Ed Milliband has been in but he was with Geoff Lloyd who he does a podcast with) so maybe all the Oxbridges like her.

KennyMonster

Quote from: Pranet on January 22, 2020, 02:22:09 PM
If you are going to reject comedians (or whoever) who don't support the precise faction of the Labour party you also support then you are going to be rejecting a lot of people.

Well I've been let down by some [nb]AI, Brooker and Herring, plus some non comedians too [nb]oops sorry, I already mentioned Herring didn't I?[/nb][/nb]who I'd have thought should know better than to regurgitate the mainstream narratives about Corbyn's Labour.

Jumblegraws

As enjoyable as his articles can be, and as intelligent as he clearly is, the impression I get from a lot of Lee's writing is that he vastly underestimates his own ignorance. So if this endorsement is for real, it's probably because he hasn't been paying enough attention.

phantom_power

Quote from: king_tubby on January 22, 2020, 01:37:02 PM
I find them smug and unfunny, and a continuation of that 'look at the thick Northern racists voting for Brexit' #FBPE attitude that did so well to bring people over to the Remain cause.

It always seems to be more holding politicians accountable for the things they have said in the past that contradict their current stance on Brexit. There doesn't seem to be much about voters, thick or not

king_tubby

Yeah, could be I'm assuming guilt by association.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Jumblegraws on January 22, 2020, 03:05:26 PM
As enjoyable as his articles can be, and as intelligent as he clearly is, the impression I get from a lot of Lee's writing is that he vastly underestimates his own ignorance.

Yes, I don't often like or know any of the stupid music, childish comics or annoying old comedy that he references, but when I do, I notice he always gets something wrong. Of course his superfanboys would have us believe he gets things wrong deliberately, for niche comic effect, or because the character of Stewart Lee would have got them wrong, ahh.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on January 22, 2020, 03:50:53 PM
Yes, I don't often like or know any of the stupid music, childish comics or annoying old comedy that he references, but when I do, I notice he always gets something wrong. Of course his superfanboys would have us believe he gets things wrong deliberately, for niche comic effect, or because the character of Stewart Lee would have got them wrong, ahh.

Me? Not necessarily, I was a bit disappointed that he cited Kind of Blue as the best Miles Davis record when he got into jazz, so there's that.

Not that I'd want to agree with him about everything anyway, but there is often a bit more going on with him behind the scenes than is immediately obvious, and a deliberate blurring of his character and real personality.

magval

Story goes that Simon Munnery convinced him it was the best album of recorded music ever, not just the best Miles/jazz album.

chveik

Flouncer

Seven Steps to Heaven is a motherfucker. Stew should give that one a spin once in a while.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Jumblegraws on January 22, 2020, 03:05:26 PM
As enjoyable as his articles can be, and as intelligent as he clearly is, the impression I get from a lot of Lee's writing is that he vastly underestimates his own ignorance. So if this endorsement is for real, it's probably because he hasn't been paying enough attention.

He claims he's writing them from a position of someone who wants to get sacked, and is neither Stewart Lee the person or Stewart Lee the comedian.

It's touched upon in this promotional (Content Provider book) chat with Alan Moore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iytGHs4Nga0

I don't have much to add, but it really wouldn't surprise me if Bridget Christie was mates with Jess Philips.

TrenterPercenter

Your not seriously all falling for this?  It is obviously the parody work for his new show, it's called snowflake tornado ffs.