Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,484
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:43:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee - Jess Phillips fan? [split topic]

Started by KennyMonster, January 22, 2020, 10:54:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

yeah the Radiohead mention indicates that he's taking the piss.

Cuellar

It was Robin Askwith's year though, so could be genuine

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: phantom_power on January 22, 2020, 03:40:36 PM
It always seems to be more holding politicians accountable for the things they have said in the past that contradict their current stance on Brexit.

Blowing up a politician's homophobic tweet to poster size and paying to have it displayed with no further comment isn't holding anyone to account. It's just putting some homophobia on a massive billboard.

And there's a book. Because there was obviously always going to be a book. It was always just another FBPE grift.

Gurke and Hare

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 22, 2020, 05:43:02 PM
He claims he's writing them from a position of someone who wants to get sacked, and is neither Stewart Lee the person or Stewart Lee the comedian.

It's touched upon in this promotional (Content Provider book) chat with Alan Moore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iytGHs4Nga0

I don't have much to add, but it really wouldn't surprise me if Bridget Christie was mates with Jess Philips.
I was talking about his writing generally rather than just his columns. I'm pretty confident I've always got his column persona, not sure it accounts for the sort of minor slip-ups I have in mind.

chveik

Barry Admin

But they did something brilliant in response to those hooligans trying to auction their masters; I'm sure that's what he's praising.

idunnosomename

Quote from: king_tubby on January 22, 2020, 02:27:03 PM
This is a good article by Dawn Foster on some aspects of why I was uncomfortable with the way they went about stuff.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/19/led-by-donkeys-billboards-nigel-farage-ann-widdecombe
led by donkeys' heart was in the right place but that Widdecombe thing was a huge misfire and showed how much they misunderstood just about everything

I can't bring myself to mercilessly take the piss out of them in a similar way to shit like EU supergirl. they did do a good job shaming the Farage march on not-Brexit day last March.

god, how time flies

chveik

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 22, 2020, 08:09:57 PM
But they did something brilliant in response to those hooligans trying to auction their masters; I'm sure that's what he's praising.

I wasn't aware of that. I retract my previous statement.

Bronzy

Quote from: Pranet on January 22, 2020, 02:22:09 PM
If you are going to reject comedians (or whoever) who don't support the precise faction of the Labour party you also support then you are going to be rejecting a lot of people.

Let's be honest, if folk on here could get on with people who don't have the exact same political outlook as them, they wouldn't be on this forum.

That's just a joke by the way, like the ones they do on Top Gear.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Bronzy on January 23, 2020, 01:14:02 AM
Let's be honest, if folk on here could get on with people who don't have the exact same political outlook as them, they wouldn't be on this forum.

That's just a joke by the way, like the ones they do on Top Gear.
RIP biggytitbo

I assume the list is tongue-in-cheek like Plagiarist's Corner on his website. That being said none of the people on the list are awful maybe just bad.

Bronzy

Bronzy

It's just a joke, like the ones they do on Cook'd and Bomb'd

It is possible to like Jess Phillips & not want her nor anyone on the right of the party to be leader.  I think.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Jumblegraws on January 22, 2020, 07:32:31 PM
I was talking about his writing generally rather than just his columns. I'm pretty confident I've always got his column persona, not sure it accounts for the sort of minor slip-ups I have in mind.

What other writing has he done apart from his novel (which I don't recall being particularly pretentious) or the forwards to his stand-up routines?

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 23, 2020, 11:54:41 AM
What other writing has he done apart from his novel (which I don't recall being particularly pretentious) or the forwards to his stand-up routines?
Bits and pieces on his own site - possibly these are "reprints" of his columns and I didn't realise. EDIT: Just checked, seems they're exactly that, hoist by own petard.

FTR I love Stewart Lee, think I'm giving the impression that I'm sulkily trying to undermine a popular comic.