Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:56:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Please post your favourite Terry Jones moments and performances

Started by madhair60, January 22, 2020, 02:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

I don't need to post this one as a vid as it happens several times throughout the film and everyone knows it anyway, but his squeaky helmet visor in Holy Grail.  It's not just the squeak that makes it funny, it's mainly his physical comedy of opening and closing it that wins it.

Also this - https://youtu.be/o0LUUFQ4MNM?t=208

I know Cleese tends to be the one everyone thinks of as the physical comedian of the bunch, but Terry J's physical comedy work was amazing.

LORD BAD VIBE

He was always the best Pepperpot.

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...oh, I wet 'em."

SteK

I think he was the one responsible for mention my home town in various sketches;

My brother's pet shop in Bolton - Parrot Sketch
Mary Queen of Bolton - on one of the album covers
...your lover in Bolton - Blackmail Sketch

Think he had a aunt from the town....

EOLAN

One of my favorite two-handers; as the gaunt prince who thinks he is inheriting some curtains on Castle Swamp.

Think he had the best chemistry with Carol Cleveland, particularly on  Match of the day (sorry edited highlights of tonight's romantic movie). Could also just feel his new groom character just yearning to get his bride laid down on a brand new dog kennel.

Autopsy Turvey

The randy housewife who has Wombat Harness round to read her poet. The trembling erotic energy of it. Phwoar! Eh? Can't find it on youtube but surely we've all got it on three formats by now...

QuoteShe Do you really want that cherry in your tea? Do you like doing this job?
Inspector   Well, it's a living, isn't it?
She   I mean, don't you get bored reading people's poets all day?
Inspector   Well, you know, sometimes ... yeah. Anyway, I think I'd better be going.
As he gets up she comes quickly to his side.
She   (seductively) You've got a nice torch, haven't you?
Inspector   (looking at it rather baffled) Er, yeah, yeah, it er... it er ... it goes on and off.
He demonstrates.
She   (drawing closer becoming breathy) How many volts is it?
Inspector   Er ... um... well, I'll have a look at the batteries. (he starts unscrewing the end)
She   Oh yes, yes.
Inspector   It's four and a half volts.
She   (rubbing up against him) Mmmm. That's wonderful. Do you want another look at the poet?
Inspector   No, no, I must be off, really.
She   I've got Thomas Hardy in the bedroom. I'd like you to look at him.
Inspector   Ah well, I can't touch him. He's a novelist.
She   Oh, he keeps mumbling all night.
Inspector   Oh well, novelists do, you see.
She   (dragging him onto the sofa) Oh forget him! What's your name, deary?
Inspector   Harness.
She   No, no! Your first name, silly!
Inspector   Wombat.
She   Oh, Wombat. Wombat Harness! Take me to the place where eternity knows no bounds, where the garden of love encloses us round. Oh Harness!
Inspector   All right, I'll have a quick look at yer Thomas Hardy.

Wombat Harness.

What's the 'cherry in your tea' bit all about? More filth?

Autopsy Turvey

Also Mr Gulliver in The Cycling Tour, especially when he's Trotsky turning into Eartha Kitt:

QuoteGulliver:  Comrades.  Bolsheviks.  Friends of the Revolution.  I have returned.
(Renewed cheering.)  The bloodstained shadow of Stalinist repression is past.
I bring you new light of permanent revolution (his movements are starting to
become a little camp and slinky).  Comrades, I may once have been ousted from
power, I may have been expelled from the party in 1927, I may have been
deported in 1929 but (sings)
              I'm just an old-fashioned girl,
              With an old-fashioned mind.
(Shot of Pither looking amazed, and confusion among the generals.)
Gulliver:  Comrades, I don't want to destroy in order to build, I don't want a
state founded on hate and division (sings)
                  I want an old-fashioned house
                  With an old-fashioned fence,
                  And an old-fashioned millionaire.

Rizla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPU4K4z6bTA - Nice piece of him talking about the environmental column he used to write for the Young Guardian in the 80s. So many strings to the man's bow. I'd forgotten he wrote "Nicobobinus", a great kid's novel I used to read to my little sister, as well as the (mostly unused) first draft of "Labyrinth". Oh, and not forgetting the awesome "Bert Fegg" book he did with Palin.

SteK

I loved him off camera on one Ep of Ripping Yarns with the Orson Welles intro.

'I think it was CK Chesterton who once said the follies of my men's youth are in retrospect glorious compared (by Eddie Waring) to those of their old age.' Or something.

Thing is the whole quote was made up anyway!

Dewt

Every one of these I could justifiably quote and say "classic".

Trying to think of what my choice will be.

SpiderChrist

I love the sketch where he's trying to get changed on the beach, with no success. Can't find it on Youtube.

Also - every scene as Mandy in Life of Brian, the prince in the tower, the vow of silence juniper bushes fella, King Otto (yah dee bucketty, rum ting fatooo, yip yip yip, yarrrooooo), Mr Hilton, nude organ-playing chap, the list is literally not endless.

This has made me so fucking sad. This is the sort of shit that makes me hate Christians.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Swoz_MK on January 22, 2020, 03:01:09 PM
His fucking FACE

That is such a fucking funny facial expression, thank you (and Terry, obviously) for giving me a laugh there.

Dewt

It's the perfect disposable grunt face.

I'm going to go for the obvious one, the witch-burning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g

Helping them along like dim students is perfect. And the confidence in his shit logic about wood and witches and ducks. And ESPECIALLY the way he jumps off the platform he's on.

"We shall use my largest scales!"

Rizla

I guess a lot of Python stuff's been removed from YT due to the DVD set that came out recently. So a couple of obscure-ish clips-

The Hendon sketch, with Innes bonus in the one following it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOjuSHgcLKQ

Always a gracious straight(!) man, in this case for Rowan Atkinson https://youtu.be/QctnIE3RL2k?t=1550

PinkNoise

I have a soft spot for the guy who rings into the Phone-In on the Matching Tie & Handkerchief, only to get bogged down by legal red tape that stops him from asking his question on farming. It's the voice, mainly.

QuoteJONES: Hello.
IDLE: Hello it's Mr Gannet from Dorchester isn't it?
JONES: Er no... he's dead.
IDLE: Oh dear.
JONES: But he left me his question in his will.
IDLE: Oh dear, well how sad, but let's hear the question.
JONES: Oh... Errr.. unfortunately one of the conditions of the will is that I myself should not reveal the question.
IDLE: Oh dear, well can someone else reveal it?
JONES: Er yes, he left provision...
IDLE: I am sorry we are running out of time...
JONES: Yes. He left provision in the will that his wife should be able to reveal the question in certain circumstances.
IDLE: Is she there?
JONES: Errrrrr...,yes.
IDLE: Well perhaps she could read the question on farming, please.
JONES: Errr, well she's here... but she's not very well.
IDLE: Well is she well enough to read the question?
JONES: Er, no, I wouldn't think so.

So much backstory that we never get to hear.

https://youtu.be/jEIz0SM7dkA

Autopsy Turvey

Nobody yet mentioned Sviatoslav Richter's escape from a sack, three padlocks and handcuffs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEfJmZR09DA

He remained very fond of this, and rightly so, spectacular feat!

Brundle-Fly

Nobody played incredulity like Tel.

The barber sketch preamble before The Lumberjack Song always made me laugh more.

Gurke and Hare

The bookshop customer on Contractual Obligation. "They shit in their own nests."

Also, his Fairy Tales book is wonderful.

bgmnts

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on January 22, 2020, 07:53:30 PM
The bookshop customer on Contractual Obligation. "They shit in their own nests."

Also, his Fairy Tales book is wonderful.

Must be if its worth 1200 quid!

I'll check it out.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: Swoz_MK on January 22, 2020, 03:01:09 PM
His fucking FACE

Lots of superb expressions in the hide and seek sketch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sqTmhB0BNQ

Never noticed the refused handshake right at the end there, brilliant. 

Revelator

"The Bishop" has already been mentioned, so I'll go for "The Dirty Vicar," just for the way Terry says "I LIKE TITS!"

bgmnts

https://www.netflix.com/watch/70043671?trackId=13752289&tctx=0%2C2%2C554779af-c3fb-4f7e-a756-28cdcad84705-1021073%2C%2C

I forgot how funny he is in this, introducing his favourite sketches. Playing a smug ego maniac surrounded by gaudy gold ornaments and busts and paintings in a nice house. It's brilliant.

Alberon

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: bgmnts on January 22, 2020, 08:43:43 PM

I forgot how funny he is in this, introducing his favourite sketches. Playing a smug ego maniac surrounded by gaudy gold ornaments and busts and paintings in a nice house. It's brilliant.

Nice, I was wondering what to watch later - not enough time for one of the films and I was trying to think of an appropriate episode (I was tempted by the episode with The Bishop, but I'd rather wait for the series 2 blu-ray). I haven't seen any of the Personal Bests, are any of the others worth watching?

bgmnts

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on January 22, 2020, 09:10:27 PM
Nice, I was wondering what to watch later - not enough time for one of the films and I was trying to think of an appropriate episode (I was tempted by the episode with The Bishop, but I'd rather wait for the series 2 blu-ray). I haven't seen any of the Personal Bests, are any of the others worth watching?

Yeah they're all good for a giggle. Just a collection of sketches we've all seen with some humorous little introductions by each Python. If i remember, Cleese is in a hawaiian shirt outside the pool of some mansion and Palin is a window cleaner, which is quite funny.