Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:36:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Please post your favourite Terry Jones moments and performances

Started by madhair60, January 22, 2020, 02:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

"Well, now, this week we're going to learn some useful phrases to help us open a conversation with an Italian. Now first of all try telling him where you come from. For example, I would say: 'Sono Inglese di Gerrard's Cross', I am an Englishman from Gerrard's Cross. Shall we all try that together?"

gatchamandave

The look of sheer determination on his face that "This time !!! This time I AM going to finish !!!" In the   And Now For Something Completely Different film just before he pulls out two large wooden wallets and hums his way through Three Blind Mice. I'd never heard anyone hum angrily before. Made me a fan.

Rizla

Quote from: poodlefaker on January 22, 2020, 09:24:14 PM
Bert Fegg's Nasty Book, a big part of my childhood.
PASS THE BENGAL TIGER

Requirements:
Seven boys, seven girls, fourteen chairs, piano, wrapping paper, one Bengal tiger.

Object of the Game:
To avoid being left holding the Bengal tiger (for obvious reasons).

How to Play:
Ask your mother or an Auntie (whoever you will miss the least) to wrap up a Bengal tiger in brown paper. Then sit around on the fourteen chairs – boys and girls alternately. When the music starts, pass the Bengal tiger around (if you can!). Whoever is left holding the Bengal tiger when the music stops (Good luck to you!) must unwrap one of the pieces of paper around the legendary vicious brute. When the music starts you must immediately pass the Bengal tiger on (not that you'll need much persuading!) to the person next to you. The person who takes the last piece of paper off the Bengal tiger is deemed to be the loser, and is bitten to death by the now-enraged mammal. The winners all get sweeties and a quiet lie down.

Autopsy Turvey

Love Mr Entrail, big fan of needlessly vicious and hateful small-talk:

Quote from: Mr EntrailMr Entrail: They're a couple of little bastards. I hate 'em. They've got eyes like little pigs, just like their mother. She's a disaster ... a really horrible-looking person, she is. I thought that one would stay on the shelf, but along comes this stupid dentist git. He's a real creepy little bastard, he is. I hate 'im.

Mr Neutron: This is a nice area.

Mr Entrail: It's like a bloody graveyard. I hate it.

Mr Neutron: It's handy for the shops and convenient for the West End.

Mr Entrail: If you like going to the West End. I think it's a stinking dump.

Also, just admiring the Mum in the kitchen reading the newspaper in series 1 episode 6 ("The police are anxious to speak to anyone who saw the crime, ladies with large breasts, or just anyone who likes policemen"). Just a stock figure in a bit of linking material, but her face, voice and movements when she gets to choose the next sketch out of the policeman's helmet, the sense of nervous excitement, the thrill at being trusted with such a responsibility, the coquettish smile to the copper, her best speaking voice to say "Oh! A Scotsman on a horse," and the sweet delight in her face at the prospect. Joyous set of comic instincts.

derek stitt

The faces he pulls when he is being eaten alive by the Jabberwock

another Mr. Lizard

Disc 7 in the box set - Terry doesn't feature as much as the others in the Birds Eye Peas promo (possibly because he was also directing), but his pissed and out of nowhere "... play Bristol Rovers" steals the show.

timebug

He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!..... cracks me up every single time. Amongst all the others mentioned above,and loads more!

SteK

'What Star Sign is he then?'

'He is the Son of God, Capricorn'

'And that's all of them is it?'

Always cracks me up!

PinkNoise

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on January 23, 2020, 02:39:47 AM
Love Mr Entrail, big fan of needlessly vicious and hateful small-talk

Ha, I was only watching Mr Neutron at the weekend, he's brilliant. There's even a little bit more of Mr Entrail on the extras.

Discussion of Jonesy's shagging prowess has reminded me of the vertically-challenged Professor in Archaeology Today:

QuoteCan I please speak! I came all the way from Oslo to do this programme! I'm a professor of archaeology. I'm an expert in ancient civilisations. All right, I'm only five foot ten. All right my posture is bad. All right I slump in my chair. But I've had more women than either of you two!

Autopsy Turvey

"We like dressing up, yes..."

"King of the who?!"

Obviously Harry 'Snapper' Organs, especially when he went undercover as pork butcher Brian Stoats:

kalowski

Quote from: SteK on January 23, 2020, 01:06:48 PM
'What Star Sign is he then?'

'He is the Son of God, Capricorn'

'And that's all of them is it?'

Always cracks me up!
Yes!
"No. Just him."

"I was going to say - they'd be a lot of them'
Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on January 23, 2020, 06:43:48 PM
Obviously Harry 'Snapper' Organs, especially when he went undercover as pork butcher Brian Stoats:

And, yes again. The whole Harry "Snapper" Organs section is brilliant, building up the surrealism. Brian Stoats, Ratty from Toad of Toad Hall, Sancho Panza...

EOLAN

Harry Snapper Organs is great alright.

An understated pepperpot in the Adolf Hilter sketch. Wonderfully interjecting on Eric Idle's detailed report on his route from Coventry to Minehead. A bit like the Nudge Nudge sketch; where Jones just lends a few interjections to keep a strong flow to Idle's monologue.
Also the great delivered and repeated response to Hilter that "You wouldn't have much fun in Stalingrad, would you?".

bgmnts

The phrase "done up a treat" is delivered brilliantly.

I'm still really fucking sad. Really puts it all into perspective when warm, generous geniuses like this are going and these cunts like Fox and Doyle and Gervais are polluting the media with their nasty uninformed bile. Thats what we have now.

"And that, my liege, is how we know the world to be banana shaped."

Phil_A

Quote from: LORD BAD VIBE on January 22, 2020, 02:11:57 PM
He was always the best Pepperpot.

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...oh, I wet 'em."

Not forgetting:

"You try that again round here young man, and we'll slit yer face!"

McChesney Duntz

He really had a full range of pepperpots in his arsenal, didn't he? I was just thinking the other day about his beautifully modulated performance in the "Working Class Playwright" sketch in the first episode (which ran second, supposedly, but was the first shot and I stalwartly believe it to be the first shown as well... but that's as may be).

It was "slit up a treat," wasn't it? His use of the "t"s in that phrase was gorgeous, truly.

bgmnts

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on January 24, 2020, 04:37:00 PM
He really had a full range of pepperpots in his arsenal, didn't he? I was just thinking the other day about his beautifully modulated performance in the "Working Class Playwright" sketch in the first episode (which ran second, supposedly, but was the first shot and I stalwartly believe it to be the first shown as well... but that's as may be).

It was "slit up a treat," wasn't it? His use of the "t"s in that phrase was gorgeous, truly.

Yeah sorry I misremembered it. Brilliant line though

PinkNoise

Another great TJ pepperpot:
Quote"Now, the duty-free trolley is over there, there's some lovely drop scones and there's duty-free broccoli and there's fresh eccles cakes. You're allowed two hundred each on the plane.
( picks up teacup and speaks into it) The Verrifast Plane Company announce the departure of flight one to over the hills and far away. Will passengers for flight one please assemble at gate one. Passengers are advised that there is still plenty of time to buy eccles cakes."

kalowski

"I'm a little bit sad and lonely, cause my baby's gone away."

Piers Fletcher Dervish

,,The Show So Far". I couldn't imagine who could have performed this any better, his slightly embarrassed look throughout.
,,And a great hammer came and hit him on the head. ... I don't remember that...?"

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Piers Fletcher Dervish on January 24, 2020, 09:40:52 PM
,,The Show So Far". I couldn't imagine who could have performed this any better, his slightly embarrassed look throughout.
,,And a great hammer came and hit him on the head. ... I don't remember that...?"

Ohh god yes, perfect, especially "and then there were some cartoons and then some lifeboat men came into a woman's sitting room and after a bit the woman went out to buy some cakes on a lifeboat and then a naval officer jumped into the sea." The way he loses confidence and gets ever more sheepish.

Also convincingly panicked and beleaguered as the stabbed patient in series 4. He was a bloody great actor, wish he'd done more really. It would have been interesting if he'd stuck around in Ripping Yarns, I can't fault any actor in that series but I missed him after his turn in Tomkinson's Schooldays.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on January 24, 2020, 10:15:39 PM
Ohh god yes, perfect, especially "and then there were some cartoons and then some lifeboat men came into a woman's sitting room and after a bit the woman went out to buy some cakes on a lifeboat and then a naval officer jumped into the sea." The way he loses confidence and gets ever more sheepish.

Also convincingly panicked and beleaguered as the stabbed patient in series 4. He was a bloody great actor, wish he'd done more really. It would have been interesting if he'd stuck around in Ripping Yarns, I can't fault any actor in that series but I missed him after his turn in Tomkinson's Schooldays.

Considering he was the one most famous for performing screeching grotesques, he was also probably the best of the Pythons when it came to very quickly creating sympathy and pathos. He could seemingly effortlessly access a genuine vulnerability.

famethrowa

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on January 24, 2020, 10:31:54 PM
Considering he was the one most famous for performing screeching grotesques, he was also probably the best of the Pythons when it came to very quickly creating sympathy and pathos. He could seemingly effortlessly access a genuine vulnerability.

His turn in the Timmy Williams sketch is brilliant, moving and heartbreaking. Nobody could have made that work better.

bgmnts

Yeah he and Michael Palin do pathos and sympathy the best. 

Autopsy Turvey

Another great example is the breakdown of the Man Who Makes People Laugh Uncontrollably; Palin steals it with his close-up failed suppression, but it wouldn't work if the bleak little scene quietly enacted in the background by Terry didn't feel so real.

Quote from: Man Who Makes People Laugh UncontrollablyIt couldn't have come at a worse time. There's school fees for the two boys coming up, and the wife's treatment costing more now ... I don't know where the money's coming from as it is. And now I don't see any future ... I'd been hoping I'd be able to hang on here just for the last couple of years but... now ... I just want to go out and end it all...

To go from that to such equally convincing grotesque boors as Messrs Entrail, Creosote and Cheap-Laugh, as well as dead-straight everyman figures like the Nudge victim, might be the widest range of them all?

Also his delivery in the Free Repetition Of Doubtful Words Skit, that weird stiltedness is perfectly done, and it feels like Eric's just doing an impression of Terry's character but overdoing it slightly.

"And that concludes our little skit."

Glebe