Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,355
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:29:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Little Britain to return oh great.

Started by idunnosomename, January 22, 2020, 02:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

Quote from: Phil_A on January 24, 2020, 01:23:12 PM
I think Diamond had got them on as a favour to Walliams as they were old mates, and then Walliams proceeded to throw it back in his face by twisting the knife throughout the whole show - eg making a reference to Diamond being sacked from Gamesmaster (he wasn't, he'd quit in protest at their McDonalds sponsorship). The atmosphere just got nastier and nastier.
I can't think of anybody who gets an unfair bad reputation more than Diamond. In the 90s I had an Amiga demo that called him out for no good reason. It's really funny, everybody just decided he's a cunt but every story involving him shows him as a pretty good guy.

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on January 24, 2020, 02:12:36 PM
That's true enough. LB's Lou and Andy began life as Lou Reed and Andy Warhol on "Rock Profiles", of course.
David Walliams can't actually do any voices. Even when he was being Bono on RP, while Matt Lucas was giving it the old Oirish accent as The Edge, Walliams was doing Bono with his David Walliams voice.

But the joke with RP Bono is that he's not actually Irish, he just pretends to be and is shocked when he finds out The Edge is Irish.

It might be that they only came up with the English Bono joke because Walliams can't do the accent, but it was genuinely funny. I can't see the Salman Rushdie phone call working if he'd played Bono as Irish.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Phil_A on January 24, 2020, 01:23:12 PM
I think Diamond had got them on as a favour to Walliams as they were old mates, and then Walliams proceeded to throw it back in his face by twisting the knife throughout the whole show - eg making a reference to Diamond being sacked from Gamesmaster (he wasn't, he'd quit in protest at their McDonalds sponsership). The atmosphere just got nastier and nastier.

There's a short clip on YouTube but I'd love to see the full version if it's out there.

Quote from: Petey Pate on January 24, 2020, 01:06:09 PM
their ersatz version of Dennis Waterman could be considered in this camp

My favourite of theirs, along with the shop sketch.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 23, 2020, 02:07:09 PM

I saw them in Bristol.  I don't know if it was the same tour, but that sketch wasn't featured.  What was featured was verbatim performances of sketches from the shows - no improv, nothing new, not even any intentional "fluffs" to entertain the audience.  Just sketches lifted direct from the show re-done live.  I saw a lot of disappointed faces that night.  On the other hand, plenty of people seemed to love it anyway.

There has only been one tour, Little Britain Live. Obviously, the regular characters appeared in their usual settings and said their catchphrases but all the material was newly written specifically for the show. There were a couple of "unscripted bits"  and I believe Des Kaye featured throughout the entire run.

Phil_A

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on January 24, 2020, 05:10:26 PM
There's a short clip on YouTube but I'd love to see the full version if it's out there.

One of my sincerest regrets is not grabbing the full episode when it was up there.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 24, 2020, 05:25:14 PM
There has only been one tour, Little Britain Live. Obviously, the regular characters appeared in their usual settings and said their catchphrases but all the material was newly written specifically for the show. There were a couple of "unscripted bits"  and I believe Des Kaye featured throughout the entire run.

I don't remember Des Kaye being in it AT ALL, but it may be that I've wiped it all from my memory.  It was terrible.

JesusAndYourBush

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 24, 2020, 06:40:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOvANlHCB5U

Second Phil_A's thanks for uploading this. Lucas and Walliams both come off as arseholes which partly you could blame on it being their shtick at the time but also completely misreading the situation.

idunnosomename

Walliams must have a gigantic net worth now even though Lucas is the good egg

imitationleather

Once again a nice guy like us finishes last!

Brundle-Fly

Icehaven

Is he the only Walliams anyone's ever heard of? What was wrong with Williams?

Quote from: icehaven on January 25, 2020, 05:45:45 AM
Is he the only Walliams anyone's ever heard of? What was wrong with Williams?

Equity, innit.

H-O-W-L

Icehaven

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on January 25, 2020, 06:15:59 AM
Equity, innit.

Wellyhams is clearly the more comedy name then, the man is a bulb.

The Lurker

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 23, 2020, 10:33:00 AM
I can't say that I've ever heard anything negative about him as a person from people who have met him, but what a lot of people don't like about him is that he's one of those that's always "on" - always hyper, always flamboyant, always the loudest voice in the room.  That's one of the reasons kids love him so much, cos he's basically a big kid.

He certainly seems to get mixed reviews. A friend of mine met him and said he was lovely.

Johnny Yesno

Barry Admin

"Where's Celia Imrie? I wanna see Celia Imrie"

Fucking brilliant. https://youtu.be/UCTAdwyD4IY

Jim Bob

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 24, 2020, 06:40:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOvANlHCB5U

Ah, excellent.  I've been trying to source this for ages, so thank you greatly for the link.

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on January 24, 2020, 11:58:37 PM
Lucas and Walliams both come off as arseholes which partly you could blame on it being their shtick at the time but also completely misreading the situation.

They came across as a couple of schoolyard bullies to me, with Walliams as the instigator and Lucas as his toadying little sidekick, which seems apt considering that he portrayed Mr. Toad in The Wind in the Willows.

Jim Bob

Oh, also apparently Dominik Diamond went ape shit after the cameras had stopped rolling, resulting in Walliams and Lucas hiding from the raging Scotsman, behind the locked door of a toilet cubicle.

Andy147

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 25, 2020, 01:13:36 PM
"Where's Celia Imrie? I wanna see Celia Imrie"

Fucking brilliant. https://youtu.be/UCTAdwyD4IY

IIRC Matt Lucas pretty much disowned that sketch when he was on Rule of Three.

Edit: it's here; the relevant discussion is between 43:30 and 47:00.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Jim Bob on January 25, 2020, 03:23:24 PM
Oh, also apparently Dominik Diamond went ape shit after the cameras had stopped rolling, resulting in Walliams and Lucas hiding from the raging Scotsman, behind the locked door of a toilet cubicle.

That's good to know. Throwing darts mere mili- inches from his head , the pair of unfunny pricks.

Dewt

I thought his threat to kick the shit out of Waidfgklliams on camera was just within the realm of "we're still friendly but I'm putting on the serious voice in the middle of this larks".

It all sounds like the kind of fights good friends have occasionally, so I do find it heartwarming. But yeah, Lucas and Waillasasihms were obnoxious, unfunny pricks here. I really hate the mocking "I'm really scared!", it's so... school.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Phil_A on January 24, 2020, 06:04:38 PM
One of my sincerest regrets is not grabbing the full episode when it was up there.

You mean the full Night O Plenty episode was on there, or just the Mash & Peas part?  I had the Mash & Peas part on there some years ago (account got 3-strikes), in 2 parts because I was using a capture card and I got too many dropped frames to encode more than about 6 minutes before it started to get out of sync.  This is a new transfer done properly so it should look better than the other one.  When the last version was up I got a PM from a guy at Paramount who was interested in me making him a copy as they didn't have it, and needed it for a documentary they were making (which I still haven't seen) but then he managed to source a copy from somewhere else.

the

Quote from: Andy147 on January 25, 2020, 03:38:54 PMIIRC Matt Lucas pretty much disowned that sketch when he was on Rule of Three.

Between that and his regrets at some Little Britain material, chunks of Matt Lucas' career seem to revolve around insincere-yet-not-good-natured pisstaking. You have to wonder how he manages to avoid engaging his soul when he's writing these empty narky gesticulations.

My take on the Night O' Plenty thing is that they came on in the guise of their 'irritating' characters, but Walliams made it too directed and personal and chipped away at Diamond. Once they'd pissed him off of course, they couldn't back down, so carried on, but the dart bit is inexcusable. Who wouldn't threaten someone if they deliberately chucked a dart near their face?

Dewt

Quote from: Andy147 on January 25, 2020, 03:38:54 PM
IIRC Matt Lucas pretty much disowned that sketch when he was on Rule of Three.
The thing is, it's actually very good and you can still love it and love Wood at the same time. I remember it was posted here before, and Neil specifically gushing about how brutal it is despite liking Wood[nb]yeah I know[/nb]

Barry Admin

Yeah I absolutely adore her. I can understand why they'd feel a bit coy about it as they progressed up the chain of celebrity though, and it's obviously always going to be hard to revisit your earlier work as well.

Quote from: the on January 23, 2020, 02:33:46 PM
You missed out the bit where Walliams threw a dart that narrowly missed Diamond's head, and he consequently threatened to kick the shit out of him.

I've just watched this.  It didn't look like was that close to hitting him.  The threat didn't look like it was that serious, either.