Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:50:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Benidorm

Started by Mobius, January 22, 2020, 09:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

I've gotten around to watching this for the first time as it's all on Youtube. It's really funny isn't it?

I really love Steve Pemberton when he does stuff like this and Camping.

I've just watched the special episode at the end of series 2 which was good but the No Country For Old Men / Anton Chigurkh stuff was a bit weird?

Leej88

a funny show all on netflix

paruses

Yes - I was quite snobbish about it but then binged a load of it when it landed on Netflix and really enjoyed it. It's going downhill after about 3 and falls off a cliff when Steve Pemberton's family are written out. I never got beyond the beginning of the series where Johnny Vegas' character comes back with a Romanian girlfriend.

I found it quite a comfort watch at the time for some reason.

Steven88

The first two series were brilliant, 3 was still watchable but after that it got pretty shit.

Mobius

Forgot I made this thread

Great show though, yeah. I enjoyed it throughout although yeah the early series were definitely better. The Racist from Peep Show's family weren't as good as Pemberton's. Although I do quite like how they cycle characters in and out throughout the series, and it makes sense as Benidorm holidayers always come back.

I would imagine a few people dismissed it as quite broad and ITV, definitely looks it from the outside but I think it's well written and has some really funny bits. The hairdresser bloke who comes in after a few series, Kenneth, pretty much carries the show towards the end.

Quote from: paruses on June 18, 2021, 12:01:53 AM
I found it quite a comfort watch at the time for some reason.

Yeah for sure, we used to go on holiday to the Lanzarote which is similar to Benidorm. The show reminds me of fat sunburnt uncles and all those fun times as child.

Also it has loads of guest appearances from old people from soaps, so it just feels nostalgic and dated in a nice way

timebug

I used to watch it,and agree that series 1 & 2 were the best. Three was okay but patchy,and after that it slid faster and faster downhill. When it finished, the writer wrote one called 'Scarborough' which thankfully only ran for one series. It was basically the same jokes that had worked in Benidorm, recycled to the north of england.With Jason Manford and Catherine Tyldesley.

Leej88

Yeah, when the Garveys go the show is on life support, It went on for too long.

Aleister Growley

It had some good moments though, like Mel's version of Lonely Girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-H1y2rbETM

Lovely Stuff.

Brundle-Fly

Does ITV make any scripted comedy now?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 18, 2021, 11:44:56 AM
Does ITV make any scripted comedy now?

Yes - Kate & Koji by Andy Hamilton and Guy Jenkin is getting another series, for instance.

My gut feeling is most of the scripted comedy is comedy drama, however.

A little while ago, they announced a new head of comedy and their department aligns more closely with the drama one now and IIRC, there was specific talk about comedy dramas.