Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:26:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

A "Perfect" Episode of Sketch Comedy?

Started by dr_christian_troy, January 23, 2020, 02:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr_christian_troy

I was thinking the other day how I found it difficult to introduce a friend of mine to Mr Show by being able to just stick on an episode, rather than finding a sketch on YouTube, for example. There's a lot of great sketches, but I was left thinking that there was one specific episode that I could show them from start to end with the confidence of being able to say that it was a solid introduction point.

So, sketch shows - is there a specific episode of any particular sketch comedy show that you think are a good introduction point for newcomers? Or indeed, an episode which you would consider perfect or near-perfect?

Shit Good Nose

One of the Absolutelys from series 3 or 4 almost certainly has one.

Does Vic and Bob count?  I imagine there's more than one in The Smell Of...

SteK

I like the Show Jumpers/Firemen sketch from Big Train, or not really a sketch as such, Business Time in The Flight Of The Conchords...

Shit Good Nose

Oh, Is It Bill Bailey? DEFINITELY has more than one.  And there's still a shit-load of that that he's never worked into his live act since.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: SteK on January 23, 2020, 03:05:37 PM
I like the Show Jumpers/Firemen sketch from Big Train, or not really a sketch as such, Business Time in The Flight Of The Conchords...

But would you recommend the episodes featuring them to a newcomer? That's the point of this thread.

Episode one of Python series two is pretty much perfect: New Cooker Sketch; Tobacconist's; Ministry of Silly Walks; Piranha Brothers. If someone doesn't enjoy that episode, then they probably won't like Python in general. The daft sods.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 23, 2020, 03:09:56 PM
Episode one of Python series two is pretty much perfect: New Cooker Sketch; Tobacconist's; Ministry of Silly Walks; Piranha Brothers. If someone doesn't enjoy that episode, then they probably won't like Python in general. The daft sods.

I think Python is increasingly becoming the cool thing to NOT like.  I know it's never been everybody's cup of tea, but MOST people liked it in the 80s, 90 and early 00s.  I started to notice an increasing faction of naysayers in the mid 00s.  These days I would say half the people I know (typically the younger ones, which probs has a lot to do with it) think it's rubbish.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The outpouring of grief on social media yesterday suggests to me that Python is still beloved by many.

SteK

But would you recommend the episodes featuring them to a newcomer? That's the point of this thread.

I would! But it's hard to go back to an eye that's never seen them before....

SteK

I was brought up on Python, and Milligan's Q-series, and I wouldn't recommend either to a newbie, there's so much unfunny crap between the gems, Milligan especially, but just his face and glances were funny...

Difficult!

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 23, 2020, 03:24:42 PM
The outpouring of grief on social media yesterday suggests to me that Python is still beloved by many.

Oh, it definitely is.  I'm just saying I know a LOT more people that don't like it than I ever did before, and I see a LOT more negative stuff about it than ever before.

For the record I'm a fan - I even dearly love series 4.

bgmnts

Yeah that stream of conscious sketch format works perfectly for me for a sketch show. It connects everything seamlessly, so yeah any mention of Python or Milligan is apt.
As well as Vic and Bob, Michael Palin mentioned loving Vic and Bob so I suppose they carried that torch?

For a more traditional "build up and punchline" I suppose Peter Cook and co or Mitchell and Webb?

SteK

Quote from: bgmnts on January 23, 2020, 03:32:14 PM
Yeah that stream of conscious sketch format works perfectly for me for a sketch show. It connects everything seamlessly, so yeah any mention of Python or Milligan is apt.

For a more traditional "build up and punchline" I suppose Peter Cook and co?

Thing is Pete and Dud the corpsing and trying to put each other off is funnier than the sketches for me, my dear departed mother would piss herself and me as a not even 10 yo would laugh along, laughing with my mum so I suppose it's ingrained.

Our comedic likes and dislikes are moulded by these experiences.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 23, 2020, 03:12:53 PM
These days I would say half the people I know (typically the younger ones, which probs has a lot to do with it) think it's rubbish.

It's not often I join in the sort of angry, violent and hateful abuse that often boils up in these fora, but this is one issue where I can embrace full-blown zealotry and say fuck these cunts until their eyes burst. I had noticed that Python has become less fashionable due to what MV might call 'tedious culture war bullshit', but hopefully at some point these clouded posturing jizzflakes will grow up, properly engage with the source material instead of skimming through clips on their phones, and realise how much joy they've frozen out of their stupid pathetic little lives. Ballad of Ballard Berkley is dead right, s2e1 is an astonishingly high-end, fine-tuned treasure chest of an episode, and there's plenty more where that came from.

cliggg

I can't think of a single episode of a sketch show to introduce someone to it. Sketch shows are very hot and miss by their nature. I got a friend in to I Think You Should Leave by sending him two YouTube videos on WhatsApp. I also did the same with Mr. Show, he loved the sketches I sent him but didn't like the show because he hates David Cross and his "highly punchable face, personality, voice and body".

Norton Canes

But would you recommend the episodes featuring them to a newcomer? That's the point of this thread

The show jumpers/firemen sketch is at the end of episode one, which is every bit as strong as the other episodes in the first series, so yeah - nothing wrong with that one. Plus you'd have the advantage that is has the first stare-out round, which is the only sketch that spans each episode. They're not sequential but they do sort of get more ridiculous each time and it ends with the final in episode six (I think).

bgmnts

Bit left of field but I think History Today is a perfect sketch, its so minimalistic, just two old academics trading schoolgrojnd insults. It works beautifully.

bobloblaw

Most episodes of F&L (at least the first couple of series) have a phenomenally high hit rate.
Or is that my selective memory?

bigfatheart

Series 2, episode 5 of Kids in the Hall. Some recurring characters (Buddy Cole, the cops, Sizzler and Sizzler, the first Chicken Lady sketch), a sketch where one of them plays themselves (Kevin McDonald tries to grass on some drug dealers, only to get arrested himself), a few Pythonesque one-off sketches (a judge who lets everybody off because he doesn't seem to understand that people can lie) and a weird, unspoken theme of crime and the law running through. No duds and no self-indulgence, importantly.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: bigfatheart on January 23, 2020, 04:49:12 PM
Series 2, episode 5 of Kids in the Hall. Some recurring characters (Buddy Cole, the cops, Sizzler and Sizzler, the first Chicken Lady sketch), a sketch where one of them plays themselves (Kevin McDonald tries to grass on some drug dealers, only to get arrested himself), a few Pythonesque one-off sketches (a judge who lets everybody off because he doesn't seem to understand that people can lie) and a weird, unspoken theme of crime and the law running through. No duds and no self-indulgence, importantly.

Was never a fan, but was that the one where the cops chase some thieves for hours (possibly days?) until they get to the Canadian border, and then they just stand there and one of them shrugs and says "Canadians' problem now"?

bigfatheart

Almost but not quite - that's from the episode before that.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: bigfatheart on January 23, 2020, 05:12:24 PM
Almost but not quite - that's from the episode before that.

Thanks.  I was the only person in my circle of friends at school that didn't like Kids In the Hall (and lord knows I tried), but that sketch made me shit my britches.

EDIT - just found it on YT.  Not quite how I remembered it (I thought the chase went on for ages), and its the state border and Feds, not the Canadians.

dr_christian_troy

I'm pretty sure there must be a perfect episode of SCTV. Gloriously more consistent than an above-average SNL episode.

madhair60

The first episode of Burnistoun is wall-to-wall good for me. Not one single further episode managed that.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on January 23, 2020, 03:47:00 PM
It's not often I join in the sort of angry, violent and hateful abuse that often boils up in these fora

No it is not often is it, not often at all. I can't recall a single occasion on which you have joined or even provoked that sort of behaviour you delicate lamb

alan nagsworth

I think S03E01 ("Heaven's Chimney") of Mr. Show is pretty much perfect to me. Also, not a perfect episode as such, but S03E03 being bookended with the banana bit still floors me every time I see it. Brilliant writing.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: alan nagsworth on January 23, 2020, 07:29:51 PM
No it is not often is it, not often at all. I can't recall a single occasion on which you have joined or even provoked that sort of behaviour you delicate lamb

Provoking it is a different matter, but we all have our breaking points.

Anyway yes most episodes in series 2 ABOFAL are pretty flawless constructions, perhaps especially the one that culminates with Paul Eddington.

thenoise

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 23, 2020, 02:59:19 PM
One of the Absolutelys from series 3 or 4 almost certainly has one.

Does Vic and Bob count?  I imagine there's more than one in The Smell Of...

S01E01 of Smell is phenomenal, perfect introduction to their work.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on January 23, 2020, 03:47:00 PM
I had noticed that Python has become less fashionable due to what MV might call 'tedious culture war bullshit', but hopefully at some point these clouded posturing jizzflakes will grow up

Why do you keep imagining things for yourself to get angry about? Is it as tiring as you'd imagine?

Andy147

John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme Series 3 Episode 4. (S7E6 is arguably better, but wouldn't be a good introduction to the show).

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on January 23, 2020, 11:16:01 PM
Why do you keep imagining things for yourself to get angry about? Is it as tiring as you'd imagine?

I'm kind of enjoying exaggerating the anger on this issue to be honest, but there was certainly a lot of ideologically driven anti-Python criticism stoked in the wake of Cleese's 'London doesn't look English' rant/observation, so I don't think it's wholly imaginary, it's a problematic series for certain sensitivities.

Anyway, series five episode five of The Morecambe & Wise Show is the one with Glenda Jackson and Antony & Cleopatra, but it also begins with one of their greatest routines, Ern announcing his retirement and Eric chronicling his doings. "For many years now Ernie Wise has been part of the British way of life, and you know how bad that is these days." Still relevant.