Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:41:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Great games that came out right at the end of a console's lifespan

Started by Sin Agog, January 23, 2020, 09:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

The answer for every console is obvs Just Dance, which is still releasing new games for the ZX Spectrum and the Gameboy Colour.

I'll throw out a few real ones to get the ball rolling.

PS3: Last Of Us

Nintendo DS: Radiant Historia

SNES: Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island

Marner and Me

GTA 5- You just knew they'd re release it for the PS4 and saps (myself included would buy it) Tbf the PS3 version I had was a present.

Consignia

I was going to say Splatoon for the Wii U. But looking at the release list, loads of games came out after for it.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Consignia on January 23, 2020, 09:51:28 PM
I was going to say Splatoon for the Wii U. But looking at the release list, loads of games came out after for it.
Zelda: Breath of the Wild for the Wii U. I don't understand why they decided to release it on both consoles, rather than use it to drive all their business to the Switch. Maybe it was to help sell the remaining Wii U stock.

NoSleep

The final Square game to come out on the PSX was Vagrant Story and is one of my favourite games of all time. It's set in the same world (Ivalice) as Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy XII and directed by Yasumi Matsuno. Fucking Brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLIpw5XRpwM

Good that they big up the translation of Alexander O Smith in that video.

bgmnts

Urinal Cake

Quote from: NoSleep on January 23, 2020, 10:00:36 PM
The final Square game to come out on the PSX was Vagrant Story and is one of my favourite games of all time. It's set in the same world (Ivalice) as Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy XII and directed by Yasumi Matsuno. Fucking Brilliant.

I agree with the sentiment. But it was always a side project and still a few months before PS2.

Persona 4 on the other hand came out when the PS3 was already a few months out. Even the Vita version was on the console's last days.

I'm also going to preemptively say FFVII Remake.

I was going to mention some PS2 games, but apparently it continued manufacture until 2013.

!

Consignia

Quote from: Urinal Cake on January 23, 2020, 10:27:11 PM

Persona 4 on the other hand came out when the PS3 was already a few months out. Even the Vita version was on the console's last days.

No way, Persona 4 for the Vita was completely early days, like <6 months from console launch.

Consignia

Laugh you may, I was still getting regular usage up until the Switch came out. It was pretty well supported, just not in the triple A-space.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Consignia on January 23, 2020, 10:41:06 PM
No way, Persona 4 for the Vita was completely early days, like <6 months from console launch.
Yeah you're right. I got PSP and Vita mixed up.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 23, 2020, 10:43:19 PM
Exactly. The Vita's last days.
Also true though I think Vita was a emu machine for most people.

Dewt

Sin Agog

madhair60

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 23, 2020, 09:39:34 PM
SNES: Yoshi's Island

(Adopts snottiest, snidest possible tone) Right, a '95 game is right at the end of a console's lifespan when it still had games coming out in '98. Suuuuure.

evilcommiedictator

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on January 24, 2020, 11:15:53 AM
DKC3 looks better than every PS1 game and most N64 games
Does it fuck. Looks better than Klonoa does it? No.

madhair60

I just looked up a screenshot of Kloaca and yeah DKC looks better. It's hardly a fair comparison though: the stumbling baby steps of 3D vs. the prime years of 2D. It'd be like telling the Wright Brothers not to bother, because trains are better.

peanutbutter

PS3 era had a glut of them didn't it? Last of Us, MGS V, GTA V, Persona 5, Yakuza 0

Mother 3 on the GBA came out ages after the DS was released iirc

magval

Ristar came out on Mega Drive after the Saturn had been released, that would count wouldn't it?

NoSleep

Pretty much all great games on the Dreamcast came right at at the end of its lifespan.

madhair60

Quote from: magval on January 24, 2020, 01:15:42 PM
Ristar came out on Mega Drive after the Saturn had been released, that would count wouldn't it?

No it didn't

peanutbutter

Quote from: NoSleep on January 23, 2020, 10:00:36 PM

Good that they big up the translation of Alexander O Smith in that video.

Wait though, Vagrant Story wasn't Square's last game on PS1, was it? FF9 came out ages later!

*googles*

Yep!

Japan:
Vagrant Story - February 2000
PS2 - March 4th iirc
FF9 - June

Europe:
Vagrant Story - June 2000
PS2 - like November? November 24th?
FF9 - February 2001

NoSleep

I was (I thought correctly) repeating something I heard stated. Maybe it was the last Square game to go into production for the PSX, as I can imagine a FF game would take far longer to produce.

peanutbutter

Apparently FF9 only really started production as FF8 was wrapping up, which means it was done in like 18 months?! That seems mental but the development periods of major games were way shorter back then.

What's the expected length of development big budget game now? Like 3-4 years? Think this was the main issue with all those late PS3 releases, in fact, how many PS4 games were super delayed PS3 ones? FF15 and The Last Guardian immediately spring to mind. Was that just a very PS3 Cell Processor problem?

bgmnts

Quote from: peanutbutter on January 24, 2020, 09:32:33 PM
Apparently FF9 only really started production as FF8 was wrapping up, which means it was done in like 18 months?! That seems mental but the development periods of major games were way shorter back then.

100% crunch.

Would probably explain why the second half of FFIX is fucking mental and makes no sense.