Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:27:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Great games that came out right at the end of a console's lifespan

Started by Sin Agog, January 23, 2020, 09:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 23, 2020, 09:57:21 PM
Zelda: Breath of the Wild for the Wii U. I don't understand why they decided to release it on both consoles, rather than use it to drive all their business to the Switch. Maybe it was to help sell the remaining Wii U stock.

Because at the point they first revealed it, it was intended to drive sales to the flagging Wii U and they hadn't planned for it to launch on their next console. Once they decided to bring forward the NX, they obviously realised they could launch is with Zelda, so they settled on a dual launch to avoid pissing off people who had a Wii U and were expecting to play BotW. They couldn't really take that away after talking about the Wii U version for so long.

madhair60

I first played it on Wii U and it was a great version. Some of the dungeons were clearly designed around the gamepad.

Consignia

It's bizarre that it's exact same situation for Zelda Twilight Princess on the Gamecube and Wii. Maybe Nintendo are just too ambitious with Zelda that it takes them so long that they've got a new console to release by the time it's nearly to be released.

NoSleep

Quote from: bgmnts on January 24, 2020, 09:37:39 PM
100% crunch.

Would probably explain why the second half of FFIX is fucking mental and makes no sense.

Yeah, production for FFVII started in 1994, so possibly twice as long as FFIX.

Schmo Diddley

Quote from: NoSleep on January 24, 2020, 01:32:21 PM
Pretty much all great games on the Dreamcast came right at at the end of its lifespan.

It was a great console, killed by being so easy to crack and then crushed by the juggernaut of the PlayStation.

magval

Quote from: madhair60 on January 24, 2020, 07:36:28 PM
No it didn't

I'm going by Wikipedia dates here, now, but Ristar's out February 1995, Saturn released in Japan in November 1994 and worldwide summer 1995.

You could have had a Saturn set up in the living room before Ristar was even in shops.

Jim Bob

Quote from: magval on January 25, 2020, 12:29:09 PM
I'm going by Wikipedia dates here, now, but Ristar's out February 1995, Saturn released in Japan in November 1994 and worldwide summer 1995.

You could have had a Saturn set up in the living room before Ristar was even in shops.

Correct.

Quote from: NoSleep on January 25, 2020, 06:06:08 AM
Yeah, production for FFVII started in 1994, so possibly twice as long as FFIX.

Makes sense.  They had to build the game engine for Final Fantasy VII.  Whereas, with VIII and IX, the engine was there to begin with.  Also, they would have gotten the creative process down to a fine art by the time Final Fantasy IX was in production.

NoSleep

Took two years for VIII to be produced, though. As was pointed out earlier, IX does show signs of being rushed.

bgmnts

KOTOR II. Speaking of games that were rushed to fuck.

Fucking brilliant. Apparently getting a sequel soon but EA already ruined it by being utter useless cunts and its too late now.

Jim Bob

Quote from: bgmnts on January 25, 2020, 03:47:39 PM
KOTOR II. Speaking of games that were rushed to fuck.

The restoration mod is essential for anyone interested in playing that game these days.

Dewt

Worms came out for the Amiga in 1995. Zeewolf II, also. That's one I bought a boxed copy of, new. In those days the shop would warn you, "you know this is for Amiga, right?". Must have got a lot of PC folk buying the wrong thing.

NoSleep

Having checked, I realise it is wrong to think of FFIX or Vagrant Story as coming out at the end of the PSX's lifespan, as PS1's were produced until 2006. Sales of the PS1 were probably high enough to keep it going for several years due to the secondhand market for PSX games, as PSX CDROMs were virtually indestructible (even when looking battered to fuck) compared to PS2 games which could be crippled by barely visible damage to the playing surface.

peanutbutter

I'd say it was definitely an end of kinds, when I was 10 I didn't really notice it so much cos droves of games started being reissued dirt cheap and Square put out a bunch of Final Fantasy compilations. Considering how big the PS1's userbase was, it's kinda nuts that games of any kind of substance largely seemed to dry up at the exact point the PS2 came out.
Guess it highlights just how aggressively they must've been pushing that hardware to its limits by the end, relieved to get away from it maybe

NoSleep

Weren't there initial problems for developers trying to work on the PS2?

Jim Bob

Quote from: NoSleep on January 26, 2020, 01:17:41 PM

Indeed.  The PS2's CPU was notoriously over-emotional; prone to breaking down in tears and refusing to compile the developer's code.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Thursday

That was his joke! You ruined it!

Unless it was just whimsy, and I'm wrong.

peanutbutter

Quote from: NoSleep on January 26, 2020, 01:17:41 PM
Right? That's the weird bit to me, I don't remember there being much of anything on PS2 up until MGS2 (Gran Turismo 3? ...Onimusha???), which was like 18 months after release. There must've been a span of about 12 months where the console industry was just totally on its arse.

My memories of that time period are exclusively playing older stuff, it was around that time that you had all those PC brands like Sold Out where you could get games from 3-4 years ago for a fiver, and they'd work on basically any shit Windows 98 computer.

madhair60

Quote from: magval on January 25, 2020, 12:29:09 PM

February 1995 is earlier than summer 1995 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I suppose it would be true if you imported a console but that'd be a blatant goalpost move.

Either way, Ristar is complete and total dogshit beloved by basic bitches. On that we can all agree unless truly thick.

madhair60

Dewt

Bazooka

Quote from: madhair60 on January 26, 2020, 11:55:39 PM
February 1995 is earlier than summer 1995 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I suppose it would be true if you imported a console but that'd be a blatant goalpost move.

Either way, Ristar is complete and total dogshit beloved by basic bitches. On that we can all agree unless truly thick.

Look at the state of this guy, you could only dream of being as loveable as Ristar.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Thursday on January 26, 2020, 07:30:31 PM
That was his joke! You ruined it!

Unless it was just whimsy, and I'm wrong.

No, you're not wrong.  That was indeed the joke.

H-O-W-L

Red Dead 2, surely? I mean, I doubt you could really spruce up or bell-and-whistle it any further, but it really did concern me that they were making it so close to the end of the console life cycle. I guess that's a result of how long these games take to make, but still.

madhair60

Quote from: H-O-W-L on January 27, 2020, 11:26:16 PM
Red Dead 2, surely? I mean, I doubt you could really spruce up or bell-and-whistle it any further, but it really did concern me that they were making it so close to the end of the console life cycle. I guess that's a result of how long these games take to make, but still.

They will re-release it on PS5/Xbox for full price

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: H-O-W-L on January 27, 2020, 11:26:16 PM
Red Dead 2, surely?
Shirley not. It was released about two years before any new consoles are expected.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Dewt on January 25, 2020, 04:37:10 PM
Worms came out for the Amiga in 1995. Zeewolf II, also. That's one I bought a boxed copy of, new. In those days the shop would warn you, "you know this is for Amiga, right?". Must have got a lot of PC folk buying the wrong thing.
Plus they later released the Amiga exclusive 'Worms: The Director's Cut' in 1997, which was arguably the best version of Worms on any platform.

madhair60

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on January 29, 2020, 11:24:17 AM
Plus they later released the Amiga exclusive 'Worms: The Director's Cut' in 1997, which was arguably the best version of Worms on any platform.

Based on what, being obscure?

remedial_gash

You can still buy indie shmups for the dreamcast, does that count?

Mobius

Pillars of Eternity 2:Deadfire came out for the PS4 today. But apparently the loading screens are literally 5-7 min wait

Why fucking bother releasing the game. How is that acceptable..