Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:36:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CaB Radio

Started by daimoniac, January 25, 2020, 09:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Up for listening as/where/when

NoSleep

Still testing here. I guess the old flash link is out of date now. There's a choice of ways to link but it doesn't seem to offer the webpage with the alternatives all on display. Maybe that will change in a short while (given I only resubscribed tonight). But I remember the page used to work before I started the subscription back in the day.

NoSleep

Here's an assortment of links to try while I attempt a test cast:

http://s1.myradiostream.com:34552/listen.pls   

http://s1.myradiostream.com:34552/listen.m3u   

http://s1.myradiostream.com:34552/listen.mp3

Here's an IRC chatroom to tell me you can't connect or to say hello to me and other listeners (if everyone hasn't gone to bed):

https://chat.mibbit.com/?channel=%23cabradio&server=irc.mibbit.net

Malcy

All 3 links worked for me. I'd love to give this a go but don't think anyone would be that bothered with what I would want to play!

Old Thrashbarg

The eclecticism was always the best bit of CaB Radio!

Mr_Simnock

Lfbarfe

Quote from: Malcy on January 21, 2021, 11:22:41 PM
All 3 links worked for me. I'd love to give this a go but don't think anyone would be that bothered with what I would want to play!

You'd be surprised.

Goldentony

people listened to Zero Gravitas slowly lose the plot for 48 hours once

Butchers Blind

Will there be a guess the year section featuring hits from that year and clues as to what year it might be?

Malcy

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on January 21, 2021, 11:28:24 PM
The eclecticism was always the best bit of CaB Radio!
Quote from: Lfbarfe on January 22, 2021, 12:03:49 AM
You'd be surprised.

I'm going to do a mock show tomorrow for myself and see how I do. Was thinking of stuff I could play and liked the thought of it even more.

daimoniac

its like im in a timewarp here... not complaining mind - i've kind of been keeping an eye on the forums between doing other stuff. its always great to see this thread and the project keeping going.

Lfbarfe

Quote from: Malcy on January 22, 2021, 12:18:15 AM
I'm going to do a mock show tomorrow for myself and see how I do. Was thinking of stuff I could play and liked the thought of it even more.

I always felt the best way was to jump in and just do it. The chatroom lot were very encouraging.

Mr_Simnock

Well NoSleep has put up a good kick off show tonight, loved it

NoSleep

Some familiar names in the chatroom... just like old times.

Flouncer

Quote from: Lfbarfe on January 22, 2021, 01:21:26 AM
I always felt the best way was to jump in and just do it. The chatroom lot were very encouraging.

Talking to people in the CaB Radio chatroom - I particularly remember chatting with NoSleep and Languid - was what initally prompted me to sign up to the forum after a couple of years of lurking. They were a thoroughly friendly bunch at a time when the forum seemed a bit more daunting. In fact, my username originates from Flouncer being the default name given to you in the chatroom: I had got used to chatting with people under that name so I carried on using it when I signed up to the forum.

It's always nice to see this thread active; I was busy tonight but will definitely drop in to future broadcasts. :-)

Mr_Simnock

How do you stream stuff, can it still be done from say winamp? Any details welcome

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ah ffs, sorry I missed this, will try to keep tabs on events.

Malcy

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on January 22, 2021, 11:24:52 PM
How do you stream stuff, can it still be done from say winamp? Any details welcome

Wondering this as well. I can't find my mic and the laptop's built in one was picking up the fan so thought i might just record the in-between song stuff using Recforge on my phone and then just playing it all through VLC or something until I get a new mic. Means I could still do a show just not 'live' yet.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on January 22, 2021, 11:24:52 PM

OBS is a fantastic free piece of software for all your streaming needs.  It's what I use and it works brilliantly.

the

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 23, 2021, 01:03:52 AMOBS is a fantastic free piece of software for all your streaming needs.  It's what I use and it works brilliantly.

Conventionally I think people used the Edcast plugin for Winamp to do CaB Radio, but IIRC there's a bit of faff involved to set it up so you can talk on a mic as well as play music.

Re. OBS - I've seen a few suggestions online that it might be possible to stream from OBS to a Shoutcast server (which is what CaB Radio is on), but it's not solidly documented anywhere. Would be worth a crack at testing it though, if someone wants to try it out with the stream credentials.

OBS is primarily for streaming video+audio (via RTMP), but it's not implausible that a Shoutcast server could pick up the audio portion of the stream.

And yes, OBS is a fantastic bit of software (and free), with its own audio mixer and VST support amongst loads of other features.

Phil_A

Winamp isn't worth the trouble now, it's incredibly out-of-date and the software's no longer supported, and even at the time it was horribly buggy and prone to constant crashes when streaming. Foobar was a vast improvement, but then there was the issue with certain versions of Windows crippling Stereo Mix which then meant a lot of faffing around with Virtual Audio Cables in order to have mic and music at the same time. Dunno if that's still the case now, it's been around six years since I last attempted a Shoutcast stream.

OBS definitely has a lot of possibility for radio, worth looking into for sure.

NoSleep

I can switch the server to Icecast (2.4) if that gives any better choices or makes things easier for Windows users. The other two options are Shoutcast 2.5 or 2.6. No sweat to flip between all three when necessary.

Phil_A

Someone on reddit came up with a possible solution for OBS --> Shoutcast streaming, might be worth a try?

https://www.reddit.com/r/obs/comments/8re9y0/can_you_stream_to_a_shoutcastaudioonly_server/

Failing that, there's another more detailed guide to streaming with Icecast:

https://epir.at/2018/03/08/obs-icecast-streaming/#:~:text=A%20little%20known%20fact%20though,is%20the%20OBS%20recording%20functionality.

NoSleep

I'm on a Mac and using casting software that's no longer supported (albeit working fine for me currently: Nicecast). I thought I'd look around at some alternatives and have stumbled upon this, which apparently works on Windows and Linux, too:

https://mixxx.org

Mr_Simnock

What about streaming to twitch? I could just use a static Cooked and Bombed radio image and shoot music and chat down that, must be easier.

NoSleep

Is twitch public only or can you privately link to it? The link to CaB Radio is only reachable by the links put up in this thread; it doesn't come up in some public list anywhere else. Is it possible that twitch will automatically block copyrighted material like youtube does?

EDIT: Twitch don't like: https://musically.com/2020/06/08/twitch-music-guidelines-rule-out-dj-sets-without-licences/

the

Quote from: NoSleep on January 23, 2021, 10:57:36 AMI can switch the server to Icecast (2.4) if that gives any better choices or makes things easier for Windows users. The other two options are Shoutcast 2.5 or 2.6. No sweat to flip between all three when necessary.

Quote from: Phil_A on January 23, 2021, 11:01:56 AMFailing that, there's another more detailed guide to streaming with Icecast:

https://epir.at/2018/03/08/obs-icecast-streaming/

That could be a goer - and TBH a lot of the configurating there might not be necessary, if OBS was just broadcasting the audio with a blank video screen which would get discarded (and wouldn't take up much additional bandwidth). Maybe just try something with the audio encoding set to mp3.

I'd say it's worth testing, because if OBS can talk to the Icecast server (and the server takes the audio stream) then you can do all your audio mixing and managing sound sources within OBS, and it'll be a comparative doddle from there.

NoSleep

Quote from: the on January 23, 2021, 07:01:07 PM
That could be a goer - and TBH a lot of the configurating there might not be necessary, if OBS was just broadcasting the audio with a blank video screen which would get discarded (and wouldn't take up much additional bandwidth). Maybe just try something with the audio encoding set to mp3.

Mp3 is good and has been fairly standard on CaB Radio. I'm not even sure the blank screen will even be received by the server as it's an audio only service. We do now have an option to improve the quality up to 192kbps from the old standard of 128kbps unless that is going to cause issues for listeners on shaky connections. It will sound pretty good even if we lower it to 64kbps (and still in stereo), as has had to happen in the past on occasions (by request from buffering listeners). LFBarfe used to cast using AAC instead of mp3 for quality and I recall this caused some issues for some listeners (or was it just me? can't remember what the problem was now) but I bet that will all be fine nowadays.