Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:08:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

CaB Radio

Started by daimoniac, January 25, 2020, 09:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emma Raducanu

I remember someone called squidy from the radio but can't remember ever seeing him here

Thursday

He'd stopped posting ages ago, but still listened and joined in some of the radio stuff.

Petey Pate

Quote from: NoSleep on January 23, 2021, 05:58:25 PM
Is twitch public only or can you privately link to it? The link to CaB Radio is only reachable by the links put up in this thread; it doesn't come up in some public list anywhere else. Is it possible that twitch will automatically block copyrighted material like youtube does?

EDIT: Twitch don't like: https://musically.com/2020/06/08/twitch-music-guidelines-rule-out-dj-sets-without-licences/

From my experience, twitch won't block live streams of copyrighted material but it will mute audio that's been flagged by the detectors in archived videos of streams.  Either way, I don't think it is an ideal medium for CaB Radio.

If you're up for it, I could test out streaming to the server via OBS tonight, or tomorrow if easier.

NoSleep

Want to give it a spin tonight then? I'll PM you with details.

Are you going with Icecast 2.4 or Shoutcast 2.x?

I tested Icecast earlier and it is working. And I cast on Shoutcast the other night.

You can try casting at 192kbps as well. If some more people join we can get feedback about its performance.

Petey Pate

Let's go with Icecast, as I can readily find more detailed instructions for using OBS to stream to it

NoSleep

NoSleep

Malcy

Had a look into Icecast and it all looks like absolute gobbldeygook to me so think I'll bow out of attempting this. Had kind of thought there would have been a simple way of doing this but it seems not.

NoSleep

The simple way is to create a show and send to somebody else to cast. Make sure there's chat between tracks so it isn't just a mixtape.

Malcy

Quote from: NoSleep on January 24, 2021, 12:50:43 AM
The simple way is to create a show and send to somebody else to cast. Make sure there's chat between tracks so it isn't just a mixtape.

I hadn't thought of that so thanks, I could do that no bother but would it have to be one file or could I just send a show of several numbered tracks with the chat included? i'm sure i could merge everything to one file anyway i suppose.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Malcy on January 24, 2021, 01:05:42 AM
I hadn't thought of that so thanks, I could do that no bother but would it have to be one file or could I just send a show of several numbered tracks with the chat included? i'm sure i could merge everything to one file anyway i suppose.

Audacity allows you to load up music and links as separate files, link them end to end and then export as one file.

A mate of mine uses GarageBand for the same purpose, but I haven't tried it as I don't have a Mac.

NoSleep

REAPER is another useful audio tool (for editing a show) and can be downloaded for free.[nb]You're meant to try it and buy it but there's no restrictions on the software other than a reminder when you open it.[/nb]

Petey Pate

I have a feeling that my issues with the microphone in Mixxx last night could have been resolved by just restarting the program. From what I gather it can be a bit buggy if you're constantly fiddling with settings when it's open.  Sometimes I have to reboot Mixxx to get it to recognise my USB DJ controller so perhaps there is a similar issue with audio inputs. Oddly, the program was definitely receiving audio from the microphone.

There might also be a way for people to cast using VLC player without the use of virtual audio cables and for those who don't have an audio interface and only own a USB headset. We could try testing this later too.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Petey Pate on January 23, 2021, 10:06:24 PM
From my experience, twitch won't block live streams of copyrighted material but it will mute audio that's been flagged by the detectors in archived videos of streams.  Either way, I don't think it is an ideal medium for CaB Radio.

If you're up for it, I could test out streaming to the server via OBS tonight, or tomorrow if easier.

Mixcloud live is the twitch for dj's/music as it does the licencing/legal bollocks to make it kosher. I'm not sure if it's free though, but places like worldwidefm have moved from twitch to it.

NoSleep

Managed to get Mixxx working and connected to the server on my Mac. I think I know what the issue with your mic coming only from the left channel is, Petey.
When you select the input for microphone, scroll down the list past the stereo links (Channels 1-2, Channels 3-4, etc) to the single input links (Channel 1, Channel 2, etc) and pick the input that your mic is connected to. It defaults to coming up in the middle of the stereo mix. If you pick the stereo inputs you need to have two mics plugged in to each channel, hence the reason it's only coming out of the left channel (presumably channel 1).

And on the section at the top of the Sound Hardware preferences, select "Master and booth outputs" for Microphone Monitor Mode so that you can hear yourself when the mic is on at the same time as the audience can, bearing in mind that you should only do this with your speakers turned down and you're wearing headphones.
Once you're used to the talk button I guess you can flip to "Master output only" and rock the music on your speakers.

Once I've got a little more familiar with it I'll make a basic tutorial. It's a pretty neat bit of software.

Petey Pate

If anyone's about I can try out streaming using VLC player to see how that fares.

NoSleep

I'm in the chatroom.

NoSleep

Petey's devised a fairly simple routine for using Mixxx and a USB headset for those not having audio hardware at hand.

Petey Pate

Indeed, I would advise against VLC Player. Mixxx is really the best option all round. It's also possible to route audio from other programs into Mixxx, though this requires virtual audio cables.

Petey Pate

For all those interested in returning to the airwaves - would it be worth having regular time slots, especially as NoSleep has to activate the server whenever its in use? I'd certainly be interested in doing a weekly show, no real preference for what day (especially during lockdown) but an 8pm start would be ideal.

[EDIT] Let's go with Tuesday 8pm for me, and starting this week, i.e. tomorrow. May as well keep this momentum going.

NoSleep

Quote from: Petey Pate on January 25, 2021, 12:05:24 PM
For all those interested in returning to the airwaves - would it be worth having regular time slots, especially as NoSleep has to activate the server whenever its in use? I'd certainly be interested in doing a weekly show, no real preference for what day (especially during lockdown) but an 8pm start would be ideal.

[EDIT] Let's go with Tuesday 8pm for me, and starting this week, i.e. tomorrow. May as well keep this momentum going.

I had to upgrade the service so that mobiles could connect, so that means the server is on 24/7 now. Once someone has the address, port, login, mountpoint and password, they can fire it it up anytime.

Petey Pate

Tomorrow. Don't have a name for the show yet but we'll see how it goes.

Image and font appropriated from Jim Flora.

Petey Pate

NoSleep

Petey getting on down right now.

dr_christian_troy

I'm in the process of preparing shows and my set-up - but I do have a new Grim Word mix like I used to do lined up that's pre-recorded in the meantime. Would anyone be up for playing it one evening in the next week please? I can send a link etc and any week day evening would be ideal.

NoSleep

As you announced Thursdays 9.00pm, would that be fine? I can stream it.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: NoSleep on January 27, 2021, 04:20:20 PM
As you announced Thursdays 9.00pm, would that be fine? I can stream it.

That would be lovely, thank you very much! Am I okay to forward a link via MyTransfer or Dropbox in a DM?

NoSleep

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: NoSleep on January 27, 2021, 05:05:13 PM
In a PM? Go ahead.

Thank you, I'll upload and send this evening :)

paruses

Quote from: Petey Pate on January 26, 2021, 07:52:25 PM
Will be going live in 10 minutes.

Listening links:

http://s1.myradiostream.com:34552/listen.pls   
http://s1.myradiostream.com:34552/listen.m3u
http://s1.myradiostream.com:34552/listen.mp3

Chatroom links: https://chat.mibbit.com/?channel=%23cabradio&server=irc.mibbit.net

Chatroom info if you have an IRC client:

Server: irc.mibbit.net
Port: 6667
Room: #cabradio

Just wanted to say I listened last night and really enjoyed it thanks. Always a bit too shy to go in the chatrooms - same with (spam).

The link that worked for me was:

http://s1.myradiostream.com:34552/stream (or streams or streaming) - might be a known thing but I am not good with these things despite "doing something with computers"  for a living.

Will keep an eye out for more.