Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:23:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rugby League (40)2020

Started by dr beat, January 25, 2020, 10:09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr beat

While Rob Burrow has deservedly had his own thread, I thought with the season starting its about time we had another general thread.  Lots going on with the all the attention with the recent World Cup draw, I'm really looking forward to that and particularly the group with Wales, PNG, Tonga and Cook Island looks a cracker.  There is however a long time before the RLWC starts and I just hope the organizers can keep it in the spotlight in the interim. 

Anyway:

Super League: I don't have a dog in the fight really, but I will follow how Toronto do, and I'm even tempted to head over there for a game.  Went over there a couple of years ago to see Widnes and I can recommend it.  Other than that I've no idea who will win, but will be interesting to see how Salford do this season also.

Championship: After 12 months ago I'm just glad I've still got a team to support.  I reckon it will be between London and Toulouse, but I hope Widnes will be up there if we can stay injury free, but that's a big if.

Elsewhere, it would be great if Red Star Belgrade can make it somewhere in the league structure as recently proposed, I can appreciate the logistical financial issues (I guess they don't have the money behind them like Toronto do?) but I can vouch for Belgrade – was there about 6 years ago, lots of Communist-era bleakness and bombed out buildings, but theres a castle to see where you can buy real catapults.  People seemed great too, and I came back with a Serbian 100 dinar note which has a great picture of Nikola Tesla twirling his moustache.  They are also mad for OFAH, as are the Bosnians – I need to dig out the photos. 

dr beat

Also apols for the workmanlike tone of the post. I guess I am still on werk mode.

Deanjam

Crazy to think this is the 25th season of Super League. Still remember the initial announcement of it. A united Calder team? Hull/Hull KR merging? Yikes. Anyway, hopefully Wigan destroy all before them. I know that will be a popular sentiment.

dr beat

1995 - Anyone remember 'Cougar-mania'?

Schrodingers Cat

Can't really say I'm looking forward to this season in all honesty. The pre-season game against Toronto sucked what little enthusiasm I had out of me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those mental Cas fans who seem convinced we're getting relegated after losing one game - I'm sure we'll be fine. Finish around 5th-7th, win more than we lose, that sort of thing. We just still look so boring to watch and any attacking flair we had has just evaporated.
We have gone from the most exciting team to watch in 2014-17 to the least. The only way we scored last year was through repeat sets, and hope that eventually someone misses a tackle on their line, because we couldn't break teams down through attacking play. We used to score long range tries for fun. I honestly can't remember a single one last year. And judging from pre-season, that doesn't look to have changed.
It makes me wonder how much longer Powell will be at Cas. This season may well be the last if things keep deteriorating like this.
Of course, I hope I'm wrong about all this. And I'm really not that bothered about where we finish this season. We haven't got the team to challenge at the top end this year. I just to enjoy it again.

P.S. sorry for the long whinging post more suited to TotalRL than a thread populated by the only 3 RL fans on a comedy forum. I just had to say it somewhere!

dr beat

No worries, as long as the thread doesn't turn into 30 pages of argument about whether or not Jason Robinson should have been at the World Cup draw, or proposing creating a new Super League franchise by forcibly moving the entire town of Widnes to Easter Island or the Moon. That's TotalRL's thing

dr beat

Take it from me as someone who knows, moving the entire population of Widnes to the Moon would have a catastrophic effect on house prices on the latter.

Old Thrashbarg

Quite hopeful of a good season for Hull. We've moved on some fringe players who didn't make the breakthroughs that were hoped for, had a few players retire who were showing their age, and mostly replaced them all with good players in their primes. Plus re-signed Mahe Fonua just to stop anyone else getting him.

The biggest challenge at the minute looks to be keeping everyone happy. Shaul/Connor/Kelly/Wynne for fullback, Faraimo/Naulago/Fonua/Swift for wing, Connor/Tuimavave/Fonua/Griffin for centre, Connor/Kelly for stand off, Jones/Mau/Griffin/Lane/Savelio for second row being the main battles. Some players who expect to be in the first team aren't going to be, though give the injuries last season, some more depth was sorely needed.

mikeyg27

Super League's shit, mate. The Championship's where all the cool kids hang out these days.

Toronto are supposed to be playing the only SL game in London this year but Saracens' naughty-boy antics mean that the ground might not be available.

sevendaughters

feel like I'm getting drawn back to RL. I'm a Wigan fan by birth but find them a bit unlovable. I can't quite claim I'm from anywhere near Leigh, and while my gf has an in at Saints I can't turncoat. I always half-heartedly want Hull KR to do well. No idea why.

Gulftastic

I just want my Rhinos to have a better season than last year. And the one before that.

chrispmartha

Quote from: Schrodingers Cat on January 25, 2020, 12:47:00 PM
Can't really say I'm looking forward to this season in all honesty. The pre-season game against Toronto sucked what little enthusiasm I had out of me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those mental Cas fans who seem convinced we're getting relegated after losing one game - I'm sure we'll be fine. Finish around 5th-7th, win more than we lose, that sort of thing. We just still look so boring to watch and any attacking flair we had has just evaporated.
We have gone from the most exciting team to watch in 2014-17 to the least. The only way we scored last year was through repeat sets, and hope that eventually someone misses a tackle on their line, because we couldn't break teams down through attacking play. We used to score long range tries for fun. I honestly can't remember a single one last year. And judging from pre-season, that doesn't look to have changed.
It makes me wonder how much longer Powell will be at Cas. This season may well be the last if things keep deteriorating like this.
Of course, I hope I'm wrong about all this. And I'm really not that bothered about where we finish this season. We haven't got the team to challenge at the top end this year. I just to enjoy it again.

P.S. sorry for the long whinging post more suited to TotalRL than a thread populated by the only 3 RL fans on a comedy forum. I just had to say it somewhere!

As a Leeds fan I'm hoping that there was one specific reason for Car being entertaining, then not - Gale.

Schrodingers Cat

Quote from: chrispmartha on January 29, 2020, 01:15:45 PM
As a Leeds fan I'm hoping that there was one specific reason for Car being entertaining, then not - Gale.

Hmm, not sure about that. Though I know why you'd hope it. (And for what it's worth, I expect he'll go well for you guys). I think something shifted on a much deeper level than one player. Besides, we we very entertaining before Gale (albeit inconsistent) and pretty dull the games he did play in the last 2 years. If I'm honest, I think it completely changed on the double whammy of losing the Grand Final, then getting shafted by Sts the first game back afterwards (which a lot of people overlook - it just prevented any chance to get back into the swing of things at our own pace, and set the impetus for the new season of us being a bit crap).
It just seemed to trigger a complete transition into a totally risk-averse style of play. Like getting beaten by a Leeds side who were very good at just grinding out wins in finals made Powell think that was the only way to win one? I dunno if that's fair, but it's how it seems to me. Add in an ageing pack, and a lack of pace in the backs, and we struggle to score tries anymore.

mikeyg27

I love this Wigan kit. The original is one of my favourites too.

Gulftastic

Depressingly predictable and familiar. Another appalling season beckons.

Old Thrashbarg

Well that went about as well as could be expected from a Hull point of view. The only real disappointment was the traditional Western Terrace downpour.

A big few weeks coming up now, with a derby, then Saints, then Wigan.

Deanjam

This is the shittest I've seen Saints play for a while.

Gulftastic

Great Hull derby on Friday. KR scoring the try of the season already?

Bloody glad today's Huddersfield/Leeds match was postponed. That mile walk from the station to the ground wold have been agonising in the conditions.

SteK

I'm a Northerner home in Wakey, This Sporting Life, great film but now I love the GAA, no finer game. The pitch is MASSIVE!

Croker 2018 I think, Dubs vs Cork

Gulftastic

Well, I'll have hope till our next awful performance. That was some good stuff fro the Rhinos, but KR were bloody awful. I was pleased we punished that awfulness though and didn't let up on them.

And Warrington going down at Wakey is a bit of a shock. Perhaps it won't be their year?

Gulftastic

Gale force wind, swirling rain, freezing cold. Thank dawg Leeds won. Abysmal first half but scored right at the half time hooter. That seemed to wake them up and we won the second half with ease.

Mr Eggs

Enjoyable world club challenge. Loved the shitty podium at the end.

Gulftastic

Hull were so bad it was genuinely hilarious at times. Not for the FC fans, obviously.

And class free stuff from the Hull chairman as he sacks the coach on the hooter and announces it on live TV.

Old Thrashbarg

Yeah, not an enjoyable watch this evening. Hard to believe we're only 6 weeks removed from the enormous optimism of the opening weekend demolition of Leeds.

Ah well, hopefully we'll get someone in who can get the best out of this squad.

mikeyg27

It has felt like the same story every year for Radford's tenure, that they're one of the best sides in the competition when at full strength but they manage that for roughly three weeks a season. Maybe it's the medical & conditioning staff who need the boot.

Gulftastic

Cracking stuff from Salford. They didn't fold to the first half Pie pressure or get down hearted by their own errors. They grew ever stronger in the 2nd half. Loved the match winning tackle from Sargison.

Old Thrashbarg

The NRL continuing behind closed doors is very welcome at this point. Not sure how long they'll be able to continue, but the games haven't really suffered from the lack of a crowd.

mikeyg27

THey're showing classic games on the OuRLeague app whilst the season is suspended. They've got the England-Tonga RLWC semi on now, if you want a cardiac arrest in about an hour. Honestly don't think I could put myself though that again.

Old Thrashbarg

Greg Inglis signs for Warrington for whatever of the 2021 season might take place. Seems a strange move, with it not making sense to me for either party.

Schrodingers Cat

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on May 19, 2020, 03:41:19 PM
Greg Inglis signs for Warrington for whatever of the 2021 season might take place. Seems a strange move, with it not making sense to me for either party.

I can't see that going well for anyone concerned. He'll not have played for 2 years, and was hardly the player he used to be at that point anyway. The only value I could see would be for young players to train alongside him. But that isn't going to be worth his salary surley? Mind you, I have been wrong before.

Meanwhile Cas have signed Niall Evalds for next year (well, not officially, but they definitely have). Seems a perfect fit to me. The backline looks strong as anyone's now. Just need a couple of forwards who can break the line and/or with an offloading game and I think we're set to challenge next year (whenever that actually happens).