Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:06:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jacob's Ladder (1990) - will I like it?

Started by SteK, January 25, 2020, 05:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteK

Taking a chance on the existential part of this film, never keen on anything Vietnam related so it's putting me off.

I don't want a horror movie, I want a thinking watch it again and again movie....

Sin Agog

Dewt

Growin' up you don't see the writing on the wall
Passin' by, movin' straight ahead you knew it all
But maybe sometime if you feel the pain,
You'll find you're all alone everything has changed

I can see a new horizon underneath the blazing sky
I'll be where the eagle's flying higher and higher
Gonna be your man in motion
All I need is a pair of wheels
Take me where the future's lying
It's Jacob's Ladder

BlodwynPig

Quote from: SteK on January 25, 2020, 05:13:28 PM
Taking a chance on the existential part of this film, never keen on anything Vietnam related so it's putting me off.

I don't want a horror movie, I want a thinking watch it again and again movie....

Havent watched it since my teens but it was fucking terrifying at points

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dewt on January 25, 2020, 05:39:44 PM
Growin' up you don't see the writing on the wall
Passin' by, movin' straight ahead you knew it all
But maybe sometime if you feel the pain,
You'll find you're all alone everything has changed

I can see a new horizon underneath the blazing sky
I'll be where the eagle's flying higher and higher
Gonna be your man in motion
All I need is a pair of wheels
Take me where the future's lying
It's Jacob's Ladder

Step by step, one by one, higher and higher

Shit Good Nose

GREAT film, as long as you're not watching the remake.  Which is a FUCKING SHIT film.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The story isn't up to much, but the visuals, atmosphere etc. are top notch.

It sounds like you'll hate it.

SteK

It's not gonna be all 'Nam flashbacks is it? If so......

Endicott

From what I can remember, no, but it's been 25 years so I might be wrong. I thought Nam just bookended it.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

If you didn't want Vietnam stuff or horror, why are you watching a horror film about a Vietnam veteran?

jobotic

Quote from: SteK on January 25, 2020, 06:33:24 PM
It's not gonna be all 'Nam flashbacks is it? If so......

Watch it everyone, SteK's having' Nam flashback flashbacks.

SteK

Quote from: jobotic on January 25, 2020, 06:43:11 PM
Watch it everyone, SteK's having' Nam flashback flashbacks.

Like Lenny Henry in some shit he did - 'Vietnam'.....

What was that?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: SteK on January 25, 2020, 05:13:28 PM

The bits actually set in Vietnam are few and far between. It's mostly a bleak pyschological thriller set in a grimy 80s NYC. I very much liked it as a teen and thought it held up well enough when I put it on again sometime last year. Some of the horror sequences are incredibly effective, moreso once you realize what they might represent. It's no wonder it was cited as an influence on Silent Hill.

Thursday

It's good, but not quite as clever or profound as it seems to think it is.

Bazooka

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 25, 2020, 06:25:14 PM
GREAT film, as long as you're not watching the remake.  Which is a FUCKING SHIT film.

Oh dear, you are the first to alert me of such horror.

It's very good, got a great atmosphere throughout, quite bleak.  Not Vietnam heavy just a few scenes. Watch it you bloody parsnip.

Mister Six

Surely it would be quicker to just watch the film and make your own decision than repeatedly check this thread over several days?

SteK

Quote from: Mister Six on January 26, 2020, 03:29:39 PM
Surely it would be quicker to just watch the film and make your own decision than repeatedly check this thread over several days?

Waiting for it to download! Taking ages but it has now. And before anyone starts if I like it I buy it.

I think Kermode suggested they release movies in different resolution you can pay for from time top left of PC screen postcard res. to full 4K, price going up as res. goes up.

It's a good idea for me anyway, I often watch films while I work (there are reasons for that) and if I liked it I'd go out and pay for the 4k and watch it on the big telly.

olliebean

Maybe not as big a range of options as Kermode is suggesting, but they do charge more for HD than SD. They ought to let you upgrade though and just pay the difference.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: olliebean on January 26, 2020, 03:43:07 PM
Maybe not as big a range of options as Kermode is suggesting, but they do charge more for HD than SD. They ought to let you upgrade though and just pay the difference.

My wife's bizarrely committed to buying movies on Vudu and her entire collection up until I met her was in SD - even when the HD version cost the same, which is quite common. Her rationale was that HD "takes up more internet", and she was worried about it buffering too much (we have a 100mbps unlimited internet connection). When I finally convinced her to buy one in HD, sure enough, it gives you the option to switch between the two. But left to her own devices, she'll still buy in SD - deliberately limiting her options for the same price.

H-O-W-L

Don't watch it if you're in a sour mood. I, hilariously enough, watched it around the time of a breakup and verging on suicide, and it made me circle that drain hard. But on the plus side, it's made me view the movie a lot more openly than I would have otherwise.

I'm not one to be a snob, but If you think the ending is "unfitting", like a lot of people do, you legitimately do not get the movie and need to re-watch it and pay attention.