Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:25:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Portrayals of British TV/radio in esp. foreign media - when characters watch UK

Started by George White, January 26, 2020, 08:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

This has become a bit of an obsession of mine.

Fictional UK TV stations
UKBC in Morons from Outer Space
GBTV in Who's Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?
London Television/LTV (ITV region) in The Final Conflict
BTV in various inc. Quatermass '79 (in the novelisation, all ITV regions and BBC merged into one - soon a possibility, it seems) and Community
Avon TV in Theatre of Blood
East Coast TV/ECTV in Only When I Laugh.
British Global Press TV in Contact (1997)
Rainbow TV in Madhouse (1974)
Whatever channel the library-based British news bulletin appears in in Escape from the Planet of the Apes

Films that include the BBC - Another Time, Another Place with Sean Connery, The Killing of Sister George, The Day the Earth Stood Still (in a  montage),  Death at Broadcasting House, Radio Parade of 1935 ("the British NBC"), Frightmare, The Statue and The Night Child (1975) all feature TVC, Simon and Laura, Man of the Moment with Norman Wisdom, Not With My Wife, You Don't (1968), The Ploughman's Lunch (1983),  My Lover, My Son with Romy Schneider and Dennis Waterman, A Touch of Love with Sandy Dennis and Ian McKellen.

Fictional BBC reporters crop up in Battle of the River Plate, the Prize,  Loch Ness, An Affair to Remember, Old Mother Riley meets the Vampire, Britannia Hospital, QB VII, No Blade of Grass, Hell and High Water (1954), some of the Marvel films,  Nashville (though Geraldine Chaplin has said the character is a fake, which is why she says Company not Corporation), Triple Cross (1966, Robert Rietty), the Amsterdam Kill, Diary of Anne Frank 1959, the 27th Day (1957), the Killing Fields, 2001 (either Kenneth Kendall as future-self, or him playing his fictional son - yes, I know Mr. Kendall was a "Jackson", to quote Pauline Fowler), Hennessy (1975) and Naked Massacre (1976), Way Way Out (1966), Meteor (played by Simon Cadell). Alan North in the Dogs of War is I think supposed to be Panorama, as he mentions Miss World beating them in the ratings, and Miss World had just moved from BBC to ITV that time. Terence Alexander in the Green Man as a BBC radio announcer.

Ron Pickering IN The Games
Fictional RTE appears in Eat the Peach, Mrs. Brown's Boys, Evelyn and Flight of the Doves and Jim Henson/Steve Barron film Rat.

Tessie O'Shea in the Word (1978) as herself.

Bruce Forsyth appears as himself hosting the US Lotto in Magnum, PI
Richard Baker is in The Young Ones (1961), The Entertainer (1960) and various comedies.
Richard Whitmore in King Ralph
Michael Fish and Barry Davies in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy
Martyn Lewis in Chocky and the World is Not Enough.
Kenneth Kendall inDoctor Who, They Came from Beyond Space, Doomwatch, Dark Side of the Moon, Home James, The Brain (the 1962 one, not the 1969 one which also has a fake-BBC police 5-type show), Dead of Night, Adam Adamant, anEdgar Lustgarten short...
Eamonn Andrews in Undermind and Left, Right and Centre with Alastair Sim.
John Snagge in The Great Rock and Roll Swindell, Dr. Finlay's Casebook, Seven Days to Noon, The Magic Christian, Dad's Army
Alvar Liddell in ITV Playhouse, Enemy at the Door, London Belongs to Me, Blade on the Feather, After Julius, Backs to the Land, Hallmark Hall of Fame - Snowgoose, Thirty Minute Theatre, Wednesday Play, The COunterfeit Plan, Fox's Escape, The Voice of Merrill starring Valerie Hobson, School for Secrets, I Live in Grosvenor Square, They Met in the Dark, Ustinov's School for Secrets, Eros films' Bernard Braden vehicle Love in Pawn,, The Love Lottery starring David Niven, We'll Meet Again with Vera Lynn
Frank Philips in It Happened Here, Triple Cross, Colditz,Quatermass, I'm All Right Here, The Wednesday Play, Sammy Going South, Yangtse Incident, Runaway Bus, Passport to Pimlico, A Clockwork Orange, BBC Sunday Night Theatre,  Rank's Appointment with Venus, Eagle-Lio Rex Harrison fare the Rake's Progress
John Edmunds in Lifeforce

John Cleese as his own lookalike in Bullseye

Norman Vaughan plays himself in one of the Doctor films and Hear My Song.
Ludovic Kennedy in Heavens Above
Gordon Honeycombe and Shaw Taylor in The Medusa Touch

The Glenn Miller Story has the BBC using the microphones they had to make cheaper copies of IRL, as they couldn't afford RCA, but Universal could.

The Fourth Protocol has Michael Caine watching World of Sport.

Fictional BritishTV shows include BBC comedy drama Jules and Mimi in Sex and the City, the cheese-making documentaries in National Lampoon's European Vacation, the weird factual armchair essays in Doris Day vehicle Do Not Disturb (a reference to Cyril Fletcher?), Shark Hunt in a Syfy movie with Dolph Lundgren I forget the name of, This is Your Dish in Theatre of Blood, Masterpiece Theatre is watched in Lou Grant and Santa Claus the Movie

Sheila Hancock and Dudley Sutton are in one of Max Bialystock's stage shows (a doctored poster of Entertaining Mr. Sloane) in the Producers.

Doctor Who comics appear in the Lost Boys and Prisoner Cell Block H and The Rachel Papers (well, Death's Head does).
Wild Geese features Tiger comic, Juggernaut Whizzer and Chips, The Wicker Man DC Thomson's Sandie.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban features Jim Davidson's Gen Game as the Dursleys' show of choice.

Twisted Nerve has Hywel Bennett play with a Trumpton toy.

SteK

European Vacation in London when Rusty was watching Channel 4 or something on hotel TV and it was dead boring crap about steel production or something....

sevendaughters

I haven't seen Who's Killing The Great Chefs of Europe but it is directed by Ted Kotcheff (First Blood, Wake In Fright, Weekend at Bernie's) who, though Canadian, came up through the training provided by either BBC or ATV/Rediffusion in the 60s. So imagine it comes from a fond place.

notjosh

Inspector Spacetime in Community. Whatever the Downton Abbey show is called that they watch in It's Always Sunny.

George White

Quote from: notjosh on January 26, 2020, 08:22:05 PM
Inspector Spacetime in Community. Whatever the Downton Abbey show is called that they watch in It's Always Sunny.
Micallef's Spiffington Manse
Also, the various SCTV/SNL spoofs, SCTV's Jane Eyrehead, Benny Hill St Blues, the Dutch Leonard of Duke Street, All the Long-Leggedy Beasties...

Michele Lupo's Your Turn to Die has BBC cameras. As does No Love for Johnnie and Interpol Calling.

Fake ITN in First Among Equals and The Glory Boys.

Gulftastic

The great gag from 'The Good Place' where Tahani is,showing Eleanor her favourite BBC programme 'Diedre & Margaret'.
'It ran for 16 years. They made nearly 30 episodes '

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

famethrowa

Quote from: SteK on January 26, 2020, 08:12:47 PM
European Vacation in London when Rusty was watching Channel 4 or something on hotel TV and it was dead boring crap about steel production or something....

The joke was that every channel was showing the same boring documentary about cheese making. Then they go down to reception and Mel Smith is intently watching the same programme. Great stuff.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on January 26, 2020, 11:48:21 PM
What, no mention of Do Shut Up from The Simspons? It's England's most popular sitcom!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9QSdLDGt7I

Family Guy has Stewie watching some British show called The Cadwalladers.

Quote from: George White on January 26, 2020, 08:08:40 PMRon Pickering IN The Games

Bare knuckle!

Pranet

In Generation Kill the soldiers regularly listen to the World Service to get updates on how the war is going, usually followed by cricket scores.

Blumf

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 27, 2020, 02:34:29 AM
Family Guy has Stewie watching some British show called The Cadwalladers.

'Jolly Farm Revue' is also a British children's show Stewie enjoys.

Then there's 'Condensation' on BBC4, which seems more like something you got on 80's BBC2 or C4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9dSaYIpwqA

Also they do a British version of FG called 'Chap of the Manor' (supposedly the original sitcom the American version was based on) on the Family Guy Viewer Mail 2 episode.

Norton Canes

BBC3 in Doctor Who 'The Daemons' (if it hasn't been mentioned) which broadcast 'The Passing Parade', the show that covered the live excavation of Devil's End.

George White

BBC News in Pontypool
The Vancouver-shot Lifetime Harry and Meghan II - Becoming Royal is bookended by a US idea of a GMTV-type show hosted by ex=Emmerdale star Noah Huntley  https://www.abqjournal.com/1319273/critical-role-noah-huntley-plays-talk-show-host-on-harry-and-meghan-becoming-royal.html as not-Piss Morgan

Peter Cook in Great Balls of Fire

Cuellar

Quote from: notjosh on January 26, 2020, 08:22:05 PM

Gainsborough Gardens or something. Watched it just the other day and the thing that really bugged me was how they said 'fish and chips'. They made it a dactyl FISH and chips, whereas it should be either a cretic or an anapest. FISH and CHIPS, or fish and CHIPS. At the very least CHIPS needs to be stressed.

George White

Quote from: Cuellar on January 27, 2020, 03:26:20 PM
Gainsborough Gardens or something. Watched it just the other day and the thing that really bugged me was how they said 'fish and chips'. They made it a dactyl FISH and chips, whereas it should be either a cretic or an anapest. FISH and CHIPS, or fish and CHIPS. At the very least CHIPS needs to be stressed.
See also "Deerdra and Margaret" in The Good Place.
Pronouncing Deirdre the Irish way not the British way. You'd have thought Jameela Jamil would have noticed.

George White

Christopher Guest's Family Tree had the sitcoms of Richard Breen, including the Curry and Chips/Them Next Door-ish There Goes the Neighbourhood

The Lost World (1960) has fake BBC reporters.
In 101 Dalmatians,  Kanine Krunchies sponsors the Thunderbolt show but in the 1960s, advertisers could not directly sponsor programs in the UK.

Glebe

Surprized the BBC test card with the girl and the clown in An American Werewolf in London hasn't been mentioned.

George White

Quote from: Glebe on January 27, 2020, 06:14:02 PM
Surprized the BBC test card with the girl and the clown in An American Werewolf in London hasn't been mentioned.
Also crops up weirdly in nowhereland-set Aussie horror Harlequin.

George White

The BBC 's early TV service features in Train of Events.
Staircase (1969) has Rex Harrison in a modelling campaign on ITV.
The War of the Worlds - Next Century is a Polish film set at a future BBC.
D-Day the Sixth of June (1956) has fake BBC radio broadcasts and an ad for Bovril.

Trevor McDonald in Johnny English, Bernard and the Genie and some BFI-Channel 4 film, 3 Steps to Heaven

The Red Shoes apparently has a BBC radio voiceover from Pat Troughton.
Jakob the Liar features a BBC radio voiceover.

Bob Friend of Sky in Mission Impossible and Independence Day, PBS' Othello and Michael Caine DTV bollocks Quicksand
Jeremy Thompson's similarly done roles in Shaun of the Dead and Volcano and TNT's The Grid https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0860285/
Gordon Honeycombe in Bullseye, Traffik (with Peter Snow), Blind Justice, London Embassy, Pulaski, the Fourth Protocol, Glory Boys, Me. Palfrey of Westminster, the Gentle Touch, the Professionals, the Medusa Touch, the Foundation, Castaway and Comics.

Some Bauschlinger short including one of the Sorvino clan, Dangerous Games has a BBC newsreader.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0520255/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_43 This Frank Langella show has a "London newscaster"

Peter Woods inthe Comic Strip Presents, Python, Q, Life at Stake, BFI's Out of Order

Tim Brinton in Allez France, Bunny Lake is Missing, Carry on Emmanuele and Counterfeit Constable. Within These Walls, Man at the Top tooand Doctor in Charge, and Kraft Mystery Theater - Two Letter Alibi and Rank's Information Received   Bosanquet in  Slade in Flame    Jon Snow in the Deal, Ali G Indahouse, Blackball, The Second Coming,  Drop the Dead Donkey,  and versions of Othello and Coriolanus as newsreaders in Iambic pentameter.

petril

Quote from: Cuellar on January 27, 2020, 03:26:20 PM

christ, Americans always do that. stress just the first syllable on fucking everything and ruin it. Happy NOOy'r. IT'S new YEAR OR NEW YEAR

SteK

Quote from: petrilTanaka on January 29, 2020, 09:16:12 AM
christ, Americans always do that. stress just the first syllable on fucking everything and ruin it. Happy NOOy'r. IT'S new YEAR OR NEW YEAR

Always annoyed me in Shirley Valentine when she refers to 'Chips and Egg'. It's 'Egg and Chips' FFS!

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: petrilTanaka on January 29, 2020, 09:16:12 AM

And they say Robin Hood as all one word : Robinhood.  Same with Mickeymouse.

SteK

And in movie location captions it's always 'London, England' or 'Madrid, Spain'

An tSaoi

King of the Hill
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5vc2my
01:18 – 01:31

QuotePeggy: This is educational TV time! What we're about to see is British comedy. You may not understand all of it at first because it's more sophisticated than what we're used to.
Bobby: That man is wearing a dress.
Peggy: Exactly.

petril

Quote from: SteK on January 29, 2020, 12:14:21 PM
And in movie location captions it's always 'London, England' or 'Madrid, Spain'

in The Wrestling, Americans get <Town>, <State>, Canadians get <Town>, <Province>, Canada, everyone else gets <Town>, <Country>. Except Kofi Kingston, who gets the small mining town of Ghana in the country of Westafrica for some reason

Gurke and Hare

Brookside had The Magic Rabbits, the rushes for which still exist. There was a soap opera they watched too, but I can't remember what it was called and searching for "soap opera brookside" is unsurprisingly unhelpful.