Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:56:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2020

Started by selectivememory, January 27, 2020, 08:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selectivememory

Been meaning to start a tennis thread but I keep forgetting. Haven't really watched any of the Australian Open yet, but anyway, here are the quarterfinal line-ups:

Womens

Barty-Kvitova
Kenin-Jabeur
Halep-Kontaveit
Muguruza-Pavlyuchenkova

Mens

Federer-Sandgren
Djokovic-Raonic
Nadal-Thiem
Wawrinka-Zverev

Bottom half of the men's draw by far the most intriguing thing there. Interesting to see Zverev make a quarterfinal without losing a set, and also Wawrinka seems to be in great form too. By all accounts Djokovic has been amazing again so far this year, so it's hard to see past him for the title here yet again.

Women's could be anyone's. Can't pick between Halep, Barty and Kvitova, and also Muguruza seems to have come out her slump.

BlodwynPig

Boring as fuck. Looked like Barty was heading out last i looked, N'allez pas

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Federer still going, he will face Raonic or Djokovic (so Djokovic) in the semis.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 28, 2020, 08:04:30 AM
Federer still going, he will face Raonic or Djokovic (so Djokovic) in the semis.

Is it still 2010?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Raonic, what a wet lettuce. Pygmy. Get out of tennis.

selectivememory

All the injury problems in the last few years have caused his career to stagnate a bit, but one thing you can always bank on with Milos is that he will lose easily to Djokovic. He's only ever won a couple of sets from him in 10 matches. Just a horrible match-up for him. He takes away his biggest weapon.

Federer's dug himself out of two massive holes against fairly ordinary players now, don't see him offering much resistance to Djokovic in the semis. He's been pretty lucky with the draw to make it this far.

On the other side, would be nice to see anyone other than Nadal make the final, and especially one of the two younger players. Though I'm sure the one person Djokovic definitely won't want to play will be Wawrinka.

buntyman

I thought that Estonian woman had a chance today but she appears to have made a kontaveit

buntyman

I would also like to add that there's no 'i' in Thiem

Mr_Simnock

What a result for Thiem here, sending Nadal packing in 4 sets.

selectivememory

Zverev-Thiem semifinal, very happy with that. Great that Zverev is finally playing well in a major.

Honestly don't think Nadal would have had a chance against Djokovic in the final. Not beaten him on hard-courts in years. Thiem and Zverev don't have that baggage and both beat him the last time they played on the surface. Still expecting Djokovic to win it though.

Would quite like a Halep-Barty final, but Muguruza has been tearing through the draw pretty ominously.

druss

So who will overtake Federer first, Nadal or Djoko?

Nadal will catch him at the French you'd think but unless a decent player springs up then I think Djokovic will finish with the most.

selectivememory

If the likes of Thiem, Zverev, Tsitsipas and Medvedev can consistently play well from slam to slam, that might finally bring an end to this era - beating one of them is probably not a problem, but having to beat two or three of them back-to-back is going to be very challenging, and Nadal and Djokovic have both benefited from pretty easy draws when they've won their recent majors. Nadal didn't have a chance of winning this year's Aussie Open because he had to beat Kyrgios, Thiem and Zverev just to make the final.

I'm not convinced Djokovic is going to overtake the other two - he did look pretty vulnerable for most of last year. Was amazing at the Aussie - and he usually is - but otherwise he wasn't that great, and was pretty fortunate to win the Wimbledon final in the end. He looks really strong again at the moment, but it's going to be interesting to see how the rest of his year turns out. I don't see him still winning multiple majors when he's pushing 35, so I think he's really got to do it all in the next couple of years.

lankyguy95

Do these commentators ever learn? Thiem beats Nadal - "Is this the changing of the guard?". No, no it isn't. Just as it wasn't the previous two hundred times someone beat the big three. It's getting closer but Nadal being beaten in three tie breaks is not it, even if Thiem ends up winning the whole thing.

Deanjam

Muguruza vs Kenin is a pretty unexpected final.

selectivememory

Muguruza is such a wildcard. When she's playing well she's easily a top 3 or 4 player, but the last couple of years she has been awful.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: selectivememory on January 30, 2020, 08:46:28 AM
Muguruza is such a wildcard. When she's playing well she's easily a top 3 or 4 player, but the last couple of years she has been awful.

The return of Conchi has helped

Shoulders?-Stomach!

selectivememory

Very entertaining semifinal today. Zverev played really well, just got a bit tight on some of the bigger points. Hope that Thiem can win it on Sunday. One of the few players who always seems to really push Djokovic these days, but he has been involved in some very gruelling matches during this tournament.

Deanjam

And also has a day less recovery. Why slams have such stupid scheduling beats me.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 31, 2020, 06:53:48 PM
Rootin' for Thiem

Half an allez today as his girlfriend won her 4th doubles slam

selectivememory

Come on Thiem. He's there for the taking. Never seen Djokovic this flat in an Aussie Open final.

selectivememory

Gone into a final set. I hope Thiem hasn't let this opportunity slip through his fingers.

bgmnts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlNihz6LFqA

"She's quite flushed". If I got hit square in the mush with a tennis ball going north of 100mph, my face would go quite red too.

selectivememory

Well, that's that. I wouldn't exactly call it a choke as he fought decently enough in the final set, but Thiem definitely could have won that match.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on February 02, 2020, 12:09:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlNihz6LFqA

"She's quite flushed". If I got hit square in the mush with a tennis ball going north of 100mph, my face would go quite red too.

what the hell, the fucking paed

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Throw him out of the game

I CARE NOT ONE JOT

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Norton Canes