Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:35:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Edinburgh Fringe 2020

Started by Timothy, January 28, 2020, 10:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timothy

The first batch of shows are going online today.

I'm not kidding.

Ben Hart, Kiri Pritchard-McClean, Showstopper!, All Killa No Filla, all at Pleasance, already announced.

CaledonianGonzo

DrGreggles

I think the edfringe.com site gets updated on Thursday with the first batch of shows, then every 4 weeks after that.

CaledonianGonzo

Whats gone wrong at the Pleasance that their first batch of shows isn't Jimeoin / Craig Hill / Daniel Sloss down at the EICC?

CaledonianGonzo

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on January 28, 2020, 01:17:26 PM
👀

https://www.pleasance.co.uk/event/joseph-morpurgo-work-progress#overview

Lost Oliver and I saw a work in progress back in December and it was absolutely fantastic, and by the time he's finished it I think it could be his best work yet.

CaledonianGonzo

Hammerhead is 3 years ago now, so I assume he'll be back.  Kieran Hodgdon seems likely too.

DrGreggles

Spent a lot of time there last year. One of the best venues.

JCR

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: JCR on January 30, 2020, 07:33:10 PM
11am as usual.

If you like North Korea's timezone so much, why don't you go live there?

CaledonianGonzo

Beats Sam Campbell's timeslot.

JCR

I guess so, though maybe Campbell feels he needs a well oiled crowd here. I saw him last time, he was taking the piss out of Mock the Week, then realised Dara Ó Briain was sitting in the back row, so funny.

JCR

I'm not sure what Sloss is going for with his head shot, but methinks it looks a bit silly: https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on/daniel-sloss-hubris

WestHill

Kieran Hodgson is doing a short run of WIPs:

http://www.berksnest.com/edinburgh-2020

Also announced: Olga Koch and Anna Man

DrGreggles

Quote from: WestHill on March 01, 2020, 08:59:29 AM
Kieran Hodgson is doing a short run of WIPs:

http://www.berksnest.com/edinburgh-2020

Bit of a shitter. I'm there the previous week.
#parttimer

DrGreggles

Assembly have announced a chunk of shows!
https://www.assemblyfestival.com/whats-on

Forgive me if I don't book up just yet...

CaledonianGonzo

Sounds like the cancellation is coming some time next week.

WestHill

Makes sense.

Anyone else set to lose a small fortune on accommodation?

DrGreggles

I'm going to save a small fortune for the first time in about 15 years.

dissolute ocelot

The Edinburgh Evening News is reporting they're about to formally cancel, announcement due Wednesday 1st. Although nothing (except Police Scotland) to stop people staging their own events.

dissolute ocelot

Brundle-Fly

I wonder how much smaller the Fringe will be in 2021, if it even goes ahead at all?  So many performers/ small production companies will simply not be able to afford to take up a show next year because the money they saved this year is just about keeping them financially afloat now. Who's going to have a fair few grand to spare next summer? Who's going to want to contribute to crowdfunding any shows?  Could this ultimately be a good thing for the Fringe and bring it back to the early days where there weren't a million venues and people charging huge accommodation rents/ venue hire?

DrGreggles

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 14, 2020, 05:50:34 PM
Could this ultimately be a good thing for the Fringe and bring it back to the early days where there weren't a million venues and people charging huge accommodation rents/ venue hire?

I've been thinking the same thing.
The punters spend a fortune and the performers lose money - it's hard to feel much sympathy for the ones outside those 2 groups who usually rip everyone off.

Maybe one of the smaller festivals will benefit as a result and force Edinburgh's hand for future years.

Timothy

This would have also been the last pre brexit Fringe. I also wondered how that is gonna affect the Edinburgh Fringe next year.

dissolute ocelot

Some of the free people, the Free Festival (the big group who're not PBH's Free Fringe) have been saying that if the lockdown ends before August they could still put on some kind of shows. It's certainly going to be easier for the free fringe groups than the big paid venues: the free people use a lot of pre-existing venues with minimal set-up or other expenses, just a bucket and maybe a door if you're lucky. So this could certainly be a death knell to the big venues, and to the sort of shows that you can't do on a free model (it'll probably be worse for the Festival and theatre which are big-budget, constant struggle for money, rather than for one-person comedy shows).

There'll always be a market for some kind of, maybe more industry-oriented, comedy festival, just like there are film festivals, book fairs, and things like S by SW in music. But it certainly doesn't need to be Edinburgh, and I imagine many people would be delighted if it wasn't.

Sebastian Cobb

The smaller people that put on interesting people will suffer but the big cunts that rip everyone off will probably encroach further.